Continental Warranty / They insulted me

I submitted a request for an extended auto warranty quote to Continental Warranty today. They called me back quickly and gave me a spiel about how I could get "certified" coverage but only if I acted today. The coverage seemed like a pretty good deal to me, so I was actually considering. All I needed to do was read the policy to determine the actual value.

Continental Warranty required me make a refundable deposit of at least $550 just to review the extended auto warranty contract. When I told them I wasn't comfortable with that policy they put a manager on the phone to try and sell me.

Instead of convincing me that I should put that amount down just to review the contract, he attempted to bully me into buying the coverage. He tried to change the issue by telling me that I was lucky that anyone would insure my 1998 Honda Accord with 117, 000 miles on it and asked how I could possibly imagine an insurance company would cover my car for the great price they quoted me.

I told him that I figured the insurance company had plenty of actuaries that had calculated the risks implicated in taking on coverage for a vehicle similar to mine and determined the proper price to make a profit. I then told him that my issue wasn't with the coverage at all, but with the policy of requiring a down payment to even consider the coverage contract.

At that point he got belligerent with me. I could not believe that someone trying to sell me $1700 worth of insurance coverage would insult me. I told him "Thanks for 'unselling' me." "Goodbye."

Va

Comments

• Lo
      21st of May, 2008

I find it very funny that every complaint I hear about this company about being high pressure comes from a car like this. A 10 year old car with 117, 000 miles and you cannot understand why they won't let you sign up whenever you want? Wow, if you really want to be insulted go to Honda and ask them to put Honda care on this vehicle, it hasn't been eligible for 7 years and 71, 000 miles. And the funny thing is, they built that car and haven't offered a warranty option in over 7 years. If someone else reads this and thinks I am out of line I am sorry, but calling someone high pressure for asking a client with this old of a car doesn't seem out of line to me, it seems like common sense.

• G
      7th of Jun, 2008

Lonnie is an idiot. Just google "continentalwarranty +scam" and you will find pages and pages of people with all types of cars, including newer cars, who payed for the warranty, but then were denied coverage when something broke.

ContinentalWarranty is clearly a scam based on taking huge insurance payments and simply not paying out when the problems occur.

I think Lonnie must work for Continental if he says "every complaint I hear..." and hasn't even bothered to Google "continentalwarranty +scam".

ContinentalWarranty is a total scam.

7th of Aug, 2008

oh thanks i will not buy their warrenty they smell fishy and i don't like fishy, you probably saved me about $1, 000, 000 or at least a lot o head pain thank-you

• Br
      14th of Aug, 2008

I ordered a warranty from Continental and decided it was too much money and cancelled it. Can anyone tell me why it takes them 4-6 weeks to refund a Credit Card ? When you go for a refund at Target you get it immediately or at most within 24 hours it shows up. Apparently, the company has no idea what customer service is. I would HIGHLY reccomend that anyone NOT BUY a warranty from them.

I called twice and talked with FABIO a Customer Service Rep there and was insulted and hung up on twice. Now I know why I canceled my contract with them; it was just a gut feeling that they had some issues.

The company is a SCAM and I filed a BBB report on them as well as lodged a complaint with the Consumer Protection Agency. Please be advised if you buy a warranty from them you are going to get SCREWED.

• Br
      14th of Aug, 2008

I ordered a warranty from Continental and decided it was too much money and canceled it. Can anyone tell me why it takes them 4-6 weeks to refund a Credit Card ? When you go for a refund at Target you get it immediately or at most within 24 hours it shows up. Apparently, the company has no idea what customer service is. I would HIGHLY recommend that anyone NOT BUY a warranty from them.