Contact Lenses / Handling charges!

1 301 Sonoco DriveLouisiana, MO, United States Review updated:
Phone: 8005165367

I have never experienced such an intentionally deceptive consumer experience. After creating a shopping cart at Lens.com (same as Justlenses.com) I proceeded to checkout. At the page that shows your line items, subtotal, ship costs and total, i thought everything looked fine. HOWEVER, I did not notice that the subtotal was higher than the total of the line items above it. Of course, perhaps I should have added up my items to check it, but it's something I never expected.

It turns out, there is a 6.5% "handling fee" added into this subtotal. But there is no warning of this additional hidden charge. They note the handling fee in the last paragraph of the answer to the 15th FAQ on their FAQ's page. CLEARLY most customers miss this fee. CLEARLY this is done on purpose. CLEARLY they feel they cannot compete if this 6.5% was simply added to the cost of their merchandise instead of slipped into the final price. After calling Customer NO Service, their was no credit issued and no empathy either. They've been "told by the owner" that the information is in the website and basically customers should have read everything available to them. I would like to sell this guy his next mortgage and see what I have embedded in the one inch thick contract he signs.

VERY UNREPUTABLE COMPANY.

Ar

Comments

• Bo
      2nd of Feb, 2009

I discovered the same problem when I placed my order. I'm complaining through their customer service email right now, as the 6.5% "handling fee" is very deceptive. It's just added right in to your subtotal, without any mention of it anywhere on the invoice.

• Db
      22nd of Jul, 2009
    Contact Lenses - being unfairly charged
    McKinleyville Eye Care
    central ave and Holly Street
    McKinleyville
    California

I was wanting to get contact lenses but had been told by a previous doctor that I was not able to due to the kind of stigmatisim I had. My new eye doctor tells me that that is not so and that we could give it a try. The cost would be $100.00 cash that was it.So we began trying the first ones would not work, so the doctor says not to worry that we would try another company. In all we tried three different ones with no sucsess.We finally decide that contacts would not work for me. That was the end of it or at least that is what I thought until I recieve a bill for $100. for contacts. I called to let them know that there was a mistake I never recieved the contacts and the bill was in error. The lady on the phone told me that she would fix this error and not a problem. Then the next month I recieve another bill now with the added threat of the bill going to a collection agency. Again I called the office only this time the woman tells me that I still have to pay the $100. even if I did not recieve the contacts. I was mad by this point and said that I was not going to pay for some thing that I never recieved.I also mentioned that no one had ever told me that I would have to pay even if it did not work out.And that if I would have known this I would not have even tried it. But she still insisted that was the way it was. THE NEXT bill I recieved in the mail was now reduced to $50. . Again I call the office and this time the woman on the phone tells me that this is standard practice with their office so I ask why it was that I had been billed prior for the whole hundred and told that was their standard practice, she did not know but that I will have to pay or they will send it to a collection agency.I refuse to pay for something that I did not recieve and that I never agreed to in the first place. Now they have sent it to a collection agency, supposedly.

• Ba
      16th of Aug, 2009

You were told by an Optometrist that you were not a good candidate for contacts because of the type of astigmatism that you have. You chose to get a second opinion~which is your right. You went to the new Optometrist 3 different times~and you don't think you owe the doc for his/her time? You're lucky that they gave you a break on it...pay the $50 and move on...

• Ha
      15th of Jan, 2010

I ordered my contacts for the first time through JustLenses.com and received them in a timely manner and had no problems. UNTIL...
    I submitted my expenses to my visions insurance provider and they paid all except for 6.5% of the bill. I questioned them and they indicated the Total of my order and the subtotal of the actual costs were different (the 6.5%).
    I checked all my papework and no tax or shipping were charged so I could not figure it out. I checked the website and found this small little asterisk next to the subtotal and it indicated they are charging a handling fee but they do not itemize it in the invoice...hrmmmm. What a SCAM! If they were up front about this added cost maybe, but they are not! I called customer service and after much harassment they offered to waive the HANDLING fee.
    Before ordering from them make sure the prices add up because they will not. I would advise take your business elsewhere.

• Ka
      15th of Jun, 2010
    Contact Lenses - did not receive what I ordered
    Lens Crafters
    The Woodlands
    Texas

To Whom It May Concern,

I ordered tinted contact lenses after a full exam. When the lenses arrived (about 2 weeks later), they were not tinted. I accepted them for trial. Maybe I can use them anyway. WRONG !! My prescription is R=+12.00 and L=+13.00. I can't see the lenses in the container. I'm about blind without my lenses.

The next day, the store where I got them would not make good on my original order without a full charge. They did not return my further calls.

I will continue to tell friends of my experience without further contact.

Karl H. Klaassen, Architect
    Spring, Texas
    832-453-1406

• Fr
      13th of Oct, 2010
    Contact Lenses - waiting over a month
    Contact Lenses

09/01/2010 I ordered contact lenses from LENS.COM.it is now the 10/12/2010 and still so lens on my doorstep or at post office. I have sent 3 E-Mails to this company with no reply.They took my money but do not have the respect to reply.I am a pensioner and money does not come easy.

• Ta
      15th of Jul, 2014
    Contact Lenses - waiting over a month
    walmart vision center
    Troy
    Phone: 5182790641

I when n did a vision exam 6/13/2014 they give me a pair of contact lenses so i wait 2 weeks for the one box the i already paid for 2 weeks past nobody call me so i call now they tell me i have 2 wait into the 15 today is the 15 still no there i cant see mind u they give me a provision pair the asociet give me an actittud n tell me i can get my money back so i still cant see i get acttitud when i ask for something i the i paid so now they want give me money back is that how Wal-Mart threat people?