Consumer's Reward Program / scam

1 Review updated:

I was sent bogus check and letter stating that I had won $39, 000. Finding out there are similar scams going around. I never called the number but I will notify the bank (Peoles Bank, Connecticut) that the cashiers check was supposedly from. This was called Consumer's Reward Program and the company was J C Financials. The names used were Sara Smith and Michael Edwards. Numer given [protected]. Name on the check was Brian Robertson. Someone needs to stop these people.

Dd

Comments

• De
      Jan 24, 2009

I was also sent a check and letter on 1/24/09 stating that I had won $39, 000. Finding out there are similar scams going around I will not call the number given. The check was a Cashier's check for $3900 drawn on LaSalle bank to pay taxes on the winnings. This was called Consumer's Reward Program and this company was Sun Life Financials in Niagara Falls, Canada. The names used to finalize the claim were not Sara Smith and Michael Edwards but Nicole Jordan and Larry Johnson. Numer given was not [protected] but [protected]. Name on the check was Matt Carter instead of Brian Robertson.

• Pa
      Jan 24, 2009

I got a letter today with the exact information that you had, drawn on LaSalle Bank, Chicago Illinois was the certified check in the amount of 3900.
    I initially looked at the cashier's check and thought this can not possibly be fake, I have purchased plenty of cashier's checks and have worked in a couple of banks. But something told me to go online to check out this "Consumer's Reward Program", I also looked up Sun Life Financial Service, nothing really indicated that this was a valid letter of my winning a "Lottery". I am glad that I was able to see several postings of fraud with this particular group of institutions. I needed the 3900.00 no doubt, but as the saying goes..."If it sounds too good to be true, then it is!!"

Jan 24, 2009

I also got one of these letters, and was wondering if the check was real or fake. I checked with the bank and the account is an active one. But I to believe that if it looks to good to be true, then it ain't gonna be true.
    would like to here from someone who may have made attempt to cash one of these checks and what may have transpired afterwards. - mike

• Sq
      Jan 25, 2009

I have also recievd this fraudulent scam. Upon doing so, I contacted the Bank and Sun Life Financial who was on the letterhead and provided the information that I recieved. I am also going to contact my local police department as well. I suggest that all of you do the same. We are targets of a scam and should not have to deal with this nonsence. I have kept all coorespondence including the original letter and check to provide to the police.

• Kp
      Jan 26, 2009

I received a cashier's check for 3900.00. Also wih a letter stating that I had won sun life financial service/consumers lottery of 39, 000.00 . The people to contact were nicole jordan and larry johnson at [protected]. The cashier's check from lasalle bank, N.A. cHICAGO, iLLINOIS WAS SIGNED BY A MATT CARTER. Knowin what I know about scams through the internet i ran it by the blog and i was fully educated. Thanks!

Jan 29, 2009

The Phone No [protected] Is a Cell Phone from Fido Solutions Inc. LA and the Rate Center is Brampton Ontario the Phone belongs to a Guy named Roger there is no last name. I got a 3900.00 Check to and won 39, 000 and the same names as Dennis

• Tr
      Feb 03, 2009

I recieved a letter today also from sunlife financial group for a Award claim notification that I have won 55, 000 and a check written is InnerWorkings of 600 west Chicago Aven in Chicago and the bank is JPMorgan Chase in Chicago. The check is for 3850.00 and supposedly I have to pay a tax amount of 2935.00 to get the money! What a scam. What is sad is that they appear to be dragging down some reputable companies. Sunlife Financial, InnerWorkings and JPMorgan all are legitimate companies. I have contacted all involved this evening via email, and will contact bank via phone tomorrow. Next trip will be to the police station to file a report. I too have also kept all documentation and did my own little investigation. This crap has to be stopped. Trust me I can use this money as well as the next person. We should be able to not only bring these people down but sue their butts off for the emotional crap they can put on you!

• Hy
      Apr 16, 2009

wish i could do all thats needed to report this scam, but im too busy trying get off the streets to non-homelessness. but im glad i didnt cash one of these things.

• Rv
      May 17, 2009

I received a letter yesterday, from Sun Financial Inc stating I had won a $250, 000 sweepstakes of which I was receiving a check for $4993. The letter asked that I send the tax amount via Money Gram or Western Union and I would receive the balance of my winnings via Fed Ex in a few days. Now knowing full well this is a scam I did a look up on the number listed, [protected], and it is a cell phone listed to Fido Solutions out of Toronto, Ontario. The name signed on the letter is Chris Kennedy as the promotion manager.

I will be calling Sun Financial to let them know of the scam as well as Regions Bank (who the check is drawn from) as well as notifying the police. Everyone PLEASE BEWARE!!! There are sleezy scammers out there trying to take advantage of good people.

• Bo
      May 23, 2009

I got a letter today 05/23/2009 with the letter head of "Union Finance, INC. of 7742 Hilton Rd. Toronto, Ontario T6Y 9M2 advising me that I was a winner of their General Market Survey which was held on March 5th, 2009. It seems my entry slip (?) was drawn and I was the winner of the sum of $150, 000.00. US

In with the letter was a check from Union Finance INC. NY, NY // JPMorgan Chase Bank N.A. for the amount of $5, 997.00 which they claim is the taxable amount of my winnings. I was advised to send that amount to "my tax agent Elizabeth Swindells of 2772 Howard Street, Toronto, Ontario, T4H 2V5 via Western Union/Moneygram wire transfer" at which time a "Special Courier" would deliver the rest of the winnings to me.

The last time I looked the date on my birth certificate was not yesterday.

Jun 04, 2009

I recieved a letter on the day I gave birth to my newborn baby daughter. Which was May &, 2009. I was so excited and happy to know that it fel on her birth day. The letter is from UNION FINANCE INC. 7742 Hilton RD Toronto, Ontario T6Y9M2. phone #[protected] fax #[protected] This letter states that I am one of the winners from General Market Survey. That I have won the sum $150, 000.00 US and payable to me by a certified check. Claim agent is Mark Nelson phone# [protected] and I recieved a enclosed check of $5, 997.00 to pay the tax amount of $4, 990.00 to a tax agent named Elizabeth Swindells 2772 Howard St. Toronto, Ontario T4H2V5 and the payment method is by moneygram wire transfer. I have not yet made any attemps to do any of the requirements they have asked. What am I supposed to do? Is there anyone that can give us advice. Or tell us if this is a scam and why is this happening if it is. Leticia Martinez Indiantown, Fl [protected]

Jun 04, 2009

I just called the City National Bank which is supposed to have the funds. And I asked the phone represenative if this was a valid check? She looked up the last 9 numbers on the check and said it was fraud check and to contact my local authorities. What are the authorities going to do about this? It seems like these scammers are out there and scamming people. What are we supposed to do?

• Cr
      Aug 24, 2009

I totally agree, we should try everything we can to put these scammers out of business. My 20 year son received a letter today from PDC Financial Group, 101 Fletcher dr Niagara Fall On. There was a check for $3900 and the letter said the same as the one's above. The agents names were Amanda Brown and James Black at [protected]. The check was from People's Bank Connecticut. Apparently there is a database access for people that get cashier checks because he had just gotten one a few weeks ago and I think that is where the scammers are getting this information. I will be reporting this to the authorities. Concerned Mom in TN.

• Ji
      Oct 01, 2009

Same scam, also from Canada. The cashiers check looks real enough, but you know of course it's not. Just how stupid do you have to be to think that some 'marketing company' is just giving money away? The fact that the check comes with a photocopy (and not a very good one at that) of the award notification, and that the so called notification letter does not even contain your name, address, or any other vital information. As we all should know, if it sounds too good to be true... One last note, REAL checks, or pretty much anything that is really important, does NOT get sent by bulk mail! The ### scammers need to be stopped, but a little common sense goes a long way, if you expect to get something for nothing, then you expect to be disappointed.

• Us
      Mar 04, 2010

New name- same scam -- Regency Marketing 896 Medowvale AVE, Pickering, ON M7l7j9
    Phone [protected]
    fax: [protected]

Final Notice - Consumers Rewards Program-- Just won $8000.00.. sent me cashiers check for $989.56 from Prosperty Bank -No address or phone.

I'm suppose to pay taxes and funds will be sent to MY tax agent blah blah blah .
    signed Lloyd Formely -Promotional Manager.

• Ni
      Mar 24, 2010

I just got the same letter yesterday, but this time it's a different company...

ATWOOD MARKETING INC

CLAIMS AGENT: CHRISTINE REED
    PROMOTION MANAGER: BRIAN MAYERS

• Tb
      Mar 26, 2010

I also recieved a canda posted letter from Atwood Marketing Inc. saying how they have made several attempts to contact me regarding my winnings of $8000.oo that I had supposedly won from a consumer rewards program and that my name was attached to the lucky winning ticket #3749065. The letterhead states it's from Atwood Marketing 786 Barton St. Pickering, on M7L 7J9 Phone:[protected] Fax:[protected] Dated March 18, 2010 Claim #:TO50831803. It came with a cashiers check from prosperity bank in the sum of $998.78 which is supposed to cover the taxes. It has the name Christine Reed as the claims agent and Brian Mayers as the promotion manager and mentions operation hours of business as monday to friday from 9am to 6pm but does'nt say whether those hours are eastern time, central time etc. etc. The letter format hardly looks professional But the cashiers check looks very genuine even to the point where a chase bank teller WAS going to cash it. My question is mainly this: If a person were to cash the cashiers check would they or could they be punnished by law? Or be held fully responsible for returning all funds paid out?

• Br
      Mar 26, 2010

I posted the above complaint last night regarding Atwood Marketing without a few things I intended to mention. The phone number I was to call was an ontario, canada number but the fax number had a washington state prefix. Out of curiosity I called this "Christine Reed", the supposed claims agent, and of course was told that the cashiers check was ligit and that if I had any problem cashing or depositing it then I was to let her know as soon as possible and she would have a money order sent to me within 24 hours for the same amount. Like I had mentioned in the above complaint, I took the sent check to a chase bank to see what would happen and the teller did her thing on the computer and told me it was good so I deposited it and left it at that but knowing that it will more than likely come up as "bogus" I did'nt attempt to withdrawl anything from it. Besides, if the rewards come from canada then why did the check have a florida based bank as the issuer, and without an address? That is what puzzled me at first when the chase bank teller told me it was good. I have'nt even been able to find any such "Atwood Marketing" on the internet but was told by a B.B.B. associate that they exsisted. What's up with that?

• Ms
      Mar 27, 2010

ME TOO! What A SCAM!!!

• Bl
      Mar 29, 2010

I to recieved a check for the amount of $998.78 from Atwood Marketing Inc. When I opened the letter and saw the cashiers check for that amount I was surprised about it and couldn't believe it but at the same time something in back of my head was telling me "How did I win this, cause I don't remember ever signing up for anything or playing something." I recieved exactly the same letter TBrant recieved with the same winning tickent #3749065, same claim#To50831803. I will report this to the authority cause I was tempted to cash it but thank God for the friends I have I told them about this and if it wasn't for them who knows I would probably get in trouble. They would probably think I somehow have something to do with it. It's sad that these people are doing this and surprised they haven't got caught. From where do they get our names and addresses.

• Ca
      Apr 05, 2010

Same thing happen to my son he received a letter stating that he won $8000.00 from Consumer Rewards Program. He was told to cash the enclosed check for $987.79 and pay the taxes to his tax agent and then fax the receipt to the fax number on the letter. I told him to let me investigate before he cash that check because I didn't want him getting into any trouble. I looked up the Consumer Rewards Program and saw this page. I also looked up the company that was on the letter head, he use to work for the car company that the letterhead was from but in the US not Canada.

Just in case any one is interested the Claim number for his award was TO50833103, the letter was signed by Brian Mayers and he was supposed to call Rachel Mitchell his claim agent.

• De
      Apr 05, 2010

OK, now I just got a letter from Manhein Riverside Marketing of Ontario Canada; telling me I won $8, 000. US and "gave" me a check for $987.79. I would like to know why Atwood Marketing pays better? I know it's only $10.99 more, but I want the other $10.99 of funny money; what we in California aren't good enough for the whole amount? Kidding aside, I too was not able to find ANYTHING on this company or the address, the town Brentford, Ontario but nothing on the street address. Being my little girl is a bank manager, I will be turning this over to her and let her run it thought the system. Maybe together we can get law enforcement to act on these scams. Names on paper Claims Agent: Aretha Reed - Promotion Manager: Brian Mayers

• Ga
      Apr 13, 2010

I also recieved a canda posted letter from Regency Marketing . saying how they have made several attempts to contact me regarding my winnings of $8000.oo that I had supposedly won from a consumer rewards program and that my name was attached to the lucky winning ticket #3749065. The letterhead states it's from Atwood Marketing 786 Barton St. Pickering, on M7L 7J9 Phone:[protected] Fax:[protected] Dated March 18, 2010 Claim #:TO50831803. It came with a cashiers check from prosperity bank in the sum of $998.78 which is supposed to cover the taxes. It has the name Christine Reed as the claims agent and Lloyd Formerly as the promotion manager and mentions operation hours of business as monday to friday from 9am to 6pm but does'nt say whether those hours are eastern time, central time etc. etc. The letter format hardly looks professional But the cashiers check looks very genuine.

Apr 20, 2010

I just received a letter from regency marketing stating I had won $8, 000 and they had enclosed a check for $998.86. Per my state regulations, I would be required to pay a tax and processing fee before my lump sum winning can be sent to me. It also stated I would need to fax my tax payment receipt to the fax number listed on the letterhead. I called the 'Claims Agent' Regina Brown, which was a 905 area code but there was no answer.

Apr 21, 2010

4/20/10
    I too just recieved a letter and check from Regency Marketing stating I had won 8, 000 my Claims Agent was Pamela Martin at [protected] I called and there was no answer, my husband kept calling at first we got a recording stating no service then the 3rd call he got Pamela Martin, she was very convincing I still had questions about this so i called a local tax person, she Googled Regency Marketing and there is a web site that says Regency Marketing Scam.I have reported this to the Ontario BBB and Candian Complaint Department. These people are still scaming people. Glad i found out before we did something with the check.

Regency Marketing
    LETTER SIGNED BY; KEITH REID PROMOTION MANAGER
    CHECK FROM; FIRST FINANCIAL CREDIT UNION

• Ta
      Apr 22, 2010

I received the exact same notice as sable..but so far no one has answered the call. I will report this to the proper authorities but beware of the scam..they need to be stopped.

Regency Marketing
    LETTER SIGNED BY; KEITH REID PROMOTION MANAGER
    CHECK FROM; FIRST FINANCIAL CREDIT UNION

• Ta
      Apr 22, 2010

if you received a letter you should call the following number to report it to the canadian authorities..they are trying to catch this group. If you received a check contact [protected] EST

May 10, 2010

My letter is from Crestwood Marketing, 6754Barton St, Pickering ON. These DBs tried to get me a few years ago with their SWISS lottery scam!!! Sometimes I wonder if my name has an attachment I can't see that says "please try and scam me!!" It's hard not to think of how you would have spent that money...even though it's fake! $9000.00 would go pretty far...but im sure they've gotten 10x that from people who unfortunately got sucked in and taken for all the money they have!! These people should consider packing an air conditioning unit in their caskets when they die...it's gonna be pretty hot where they're goin!!!

May 10, 2010

I received my letter on 5/8/10 from Crestwood Marketing stating that I've won $9, 000.00. Enclosed was a check of $997.76 with bank name, First Financial Credit Union. I was wondering what I entered to get this award. I did my research on this company and it seems like they go by Kings Marketing as well. My claims agent is Debra Hayes [protected]), Robert Crest as Promotion Manager. Today, I thought I'd call the number on the letter to see who picks up, but when I called there was no answer. I called multiple times to see if anyone would even pick up and no one did. For sure this is a scam. I was curious so I took the check to the bank and I had them put it under their blue light. The bank teller says that it has all of water marking that it should, but I did not deposit the check. These people really need to get caught. These people are messing with innocent people's lives.

• On
      May 16, 2010

Ok, so I got a check for 997.76 from Crestwood Marketing, and if the check is a good one I will deposit it and these folks will never hear from me...
    Seriously, I would like to know what their angle is. Do you deposit the check or cash it and then send them back that amount from your own funds while their check goes through processing only to come back NSF, or is there a way that they milk you for more money than they ever give you? I am curious because the criminal mind is interesting. I am not an idiot and certainly I am skeptical of almost everything. I pride myself on this, but still one wonders how they come up with these ideas and how they get started. Too bad some folks are so desperate or gullible that they get scammed.

• Po
      Jun 16, 2010

well my wife was desperate and gullible cause she deposited the check and used the money. I hope to god we dont get into any serious trouble for this cause she truly did not know she is always trying to win something and thought she finally was blessed. our letter came from a strategic marketing 432 bay st barrie ontario our claims agent is sally thompson and brian ferguson is the promotional manager our claim number is zB79560306 we won us$9, 000.00 and was sent a check for us$998.73 we were to western union $881.00 to casey smithson which they still think she is doing tommorrow 6-16-10 ive already contacted our bank to close our account and will be calling the [protected] number in the morning along with contacting the FBI maybe we can get someone trying to pick up the money at a western union or something i just want these low lifes in prison this just isnt right im trying to raise 3 small children and i cant afford this at this stage of my life right now!

• Po
      Jun 16, 2010

o our phone numbers were 1
    [protected] fax number seems to be the only pattern here always the same in all complaints ive noticed [protected] but that probably doesnt mean anything who knows.

• Am
      Jun 23, 2010

Check said JP Morgan Chase Assistance Services Inc in the amount of 995.68. letter said 413 Thomas st, peterborough, On m5b3f3 phone [protected], fax number [protected]. Dated June 17th, 2010 claim#BZ4260617 Award Claim Notification, final notice, we have made unsuccessful attempts to contact you regarding your consumer rewards program winning. lump sum amount 9, 000. Contact Tammy Russell at [protected]. We have enclosed a check for the sum of 995.68 per your state regulations, you will be required to pay a tax and processing fee...just as above - but unlike you all I cashed the check thinking it was GOD's way of hearing and answering my cries. I became suspious after I cashed the check and I called the number back (yeah I was very dupe-able) and she told me to send her a western union for 887. Then it begin to ring 'diiing-dinnng'. you've just been duped, so I go the internet and goggle consumer rewards.. and taadaa here we go. So I don't know what's going to happen yet with my bank but I know it's going to be a long road ahead...(crying)

Jun 29, 2010

So those that have cashed the checks, what has happened since?

• We
      Jul 12, 2010

I also got the same letter, but from Business Service Marketing 231 Peter St. Simeco, On M5B 3F3 [protected] Fax [protected] Claim# FN95630701 claims Agent Mellissa Trant Promotion Manager Charles Lengton(type exactly like this) above this was C.Lexington (that is very fishy). $9000.oo winnings Check for the amount of $993.10 JP MORGAN CHASE BANK #2117688. Well I decided to call because I never win anything and it was too good to be true for me. I called and asked for Mellissa, the women said she was on vacation and said she could take care of me. She told me the same thing for me to cash the check and send some money back to her in a money order or my check after 24hours it has cleared. I could barely understand her she spoke with an accent. Well I still don't believe her. I even called back today and no answer and it just hung up after 6 rings. So I decided to look the name up and found nothing. So I looked A Consumer Rewards Program and found everyone's complaint. So I plan on calling the Authorities. I am so glad I did not cash this check. I really needed the money to pay off credit cards, I knew this was too good to be true me win $9000...

• Ro
      Jul 12, 2010

I just received a check which is pretty much the same as all I've just read about, the name of the company is
    Consumer Rewards Program.
    The company who sent me the check was Business Marketing.
    The amount that they said I had won was $9000.00 and the check was written for $993.10, I tried to call the number and was told that the recipient could not be reached and to try back later.
    The number to call was [protected] and the name was Charles Lengton, Promotions Manager and claims agent Rachel Mars.
    The thing I don't get is that if the check is good and I do cash it it doesn't say anything about having to pay anything on the $993.10?
    I called my Bank and I called JP Morgan Chase, if it goes through and I don't call them to get the $9000.00 where does it go from there? I will go to the Police first and keep the money in my account until I'm sure it's good but after all is said and done they will be the losers.
    I will make sure all is legal and if I get hurt by it I WILL SUE THEM!

• Wh
      Jul 27, 2010

Im Glad im not the only one to have gotten this!! It has made it all the way to Alabama now.Im not sure if im the only one in my state who has gotten this! But im with everyone else "What the hell is going on? Is this a Scam or what? What if you cash the check but dont put it in any accounts so they can not get your bank information and keep they money.What if you do keep it? I called and it took me 5 times to get an anwser.But when I did a woman told me I was selceted out of 125 people for shoping at wal-mart and online with credit cards that have consumer award programs.Same info though to cash the check and wait on a tax advisor.The letter it was sent in was from Canada.(What if we have the Post office get in contact with Canada and have them run the numbers on the envolpe it was sent from and trace exactly where and when it came from.)Also has anyone took it to thier local police department and let them look at it? My check info is diffrent from everyone else though.On mine it has Keybank National Association on the top.(i looked it up and its a real bank in Ohio)The check has an Clevand Ohio address on it, And is from Lincoln Marketing Inc.The check is made out to my name in the amount of $996.83 with totall winnings of 9, 000.It says they been trying to reach me and i should get in contact with Regina Hilson at [protected] and the promotion manager is Ray Morton.The Address to Lincoln Marketing Inc Is 87 proctor st hamilton On. So with this written what the hell we need to do?

• El
      Aug 09, 2010

I to recieved a check for $996.56 from Kingsway Marketing Inc. Different than all of the complaints I see. Telling me to contanct Hillary Grey at [protected] to claim the lump sum payout of $9, 000... (Promotion Manager - Nathan Williams).. So I called and a girl answered and when I asked for Hillary she said she was on vacation for two weeks. I started talking to her about how I heard about a scam going on and she said yeah we have been hearing about it too... but any ways..I told her I didnt believe and she told me that if I didnt want the money to select of a couple of different stores she had in her system and she would send me to go pick out whatever I wanted yeah sounds good... so I told her I would look into this but before I hung up with her I asked how does the taxes work.. she informed me that once the check goes thru the would then notify me of a tax location in my city like H & R Block to go pay my taxes and to fax her the receipt and then they would send me the money. So I dont know what to think after she said that could this be the real thing or a scam. But thank god my uncle works with the FBI I will have all of this forwarded to him and if it is a scam we need to make sure they pay.

• Sm
      Aug 16, 2010

I just got the same letter a week ago. I thought it was too good to be true myself until I seen the check THEY sent me to pay for the taxes. If anyone else runs across this, cash the check NOT into your account, and keep it! I am in need of money too just like thousands of people out there, and I fell for it. Why not? Nothing came out of my pocket, and I made $55 out of the deal! I hope these dirtbags get caught.

Aug 16, 2010

Now, is the check legitimate? Can you go into a Cash America and get it cashed? I understand that it all seems to be as good as a saggy diaper, but from what I am reading, some have gotten the check's worth. I got mine today and there is no way in Hades I am going to pop it into my bank account, although the joke would be on them.