Consumers Energy / Poor customer service

1 MI, United States Review updated:

1) It will take at minimum 15 minutes upon calling the only number given to be forwarded to an account manager - so if you have problems you had better have at least half an hour available to wait on hold

2) I signed up for online access to my account - BIG mistake. Now I cannot receive paper bills in the mail anymore. I called customer service, after waiting for 25 minutes I was told that "our system does not currently allow online accounts to receive paper bills in the mail".

"Yes, I understand that is the way YOUR system is set up, but why can't I still receive my paper bill?"

"Sir, our system is not currently set up..."

You can see where this conversation with the so-called 'service representative' went. I currently have many online services with various companies. Discover Card, Bank of America, Charter Communications, Verizon Wireless, Western Michigan University (I attend), Chase Visa All these businesses allow me internet access to my account and send me paper bills through the mail. There is no excuse for a company the size of Consumers Energy not to do likewise.

Furthermore, there was no warning prior to sending an online payment that there would be a stop to my receiving paper bills in the mail. I feel that this in a form of business entrapments for the following two reasons:

a) Internet billing is cheap - VERY cheap - the business is already saving money by not having to post bills through the mail.
b) Online payments are fast - and cheap - compared to check processing. In a nutshell you can save over 80% of the labor costs involved with payment processing if it is done electronically instead of having to log checks brought in and then have them deposited.

I can understand wanting to save money, but to force me to save them money by not allowing me a paper bill is unsatisfactory.

Comments

• Ri
      3rd of Oct, 2008

We had a power surge 0n 9/i4/08 that has cost us over $3000 in replacements, caused by a tree rubbing on the overhead wires. Our insurance has a dedctible of $250. please sent me claim form. Thanks. RA Wagar acc # 10 00 04 0835 88

• Br
      28th of Oct, 2008

ABSOLUTELY! It's a good thing that we can't switch to another Electric company out here, because Consumers would be OUT OF BUSINESS!!! I can't BELIEVE! the awful, awful, awful customer service this company expects us to live with!

Has anyone else been "taken" by the 6 million account number changes?? WHat if I DON'T WANT my account numbers changed!? Couldn't Consumers have taken out a few ads on TV and etc to inform people about the change??

Now I owe $600.00 or so and I can't help but think that there is some huge fraud going on somewhere. I WISH I could make my own electricity!

Brenda Schulz

• Ro
      5th of Aug, 2009

MY SERVOCE WAS TERMINATED WITHOUT RECEIVEING LETTER OF INTENT. OPERATOR TOLD ME THEY MADE SEVERAL PHONE CALLS REGUARDING ACCOUNT THEN LATER TOLD ME THEY HAVE NO PHONE NUMBER ON FILE, SO HOW DID THEY CALL ME 5 TIMES WHEN THEY HAD NO PHONE NUMBER? THEN THEY SAY THEY CANT WAIT 40 HRS TO RECEIVE 85.00 TO KEEP MY ELECTRICITY ON THEY WILL ONLY WAIT 24HRS WHEN TOTAL OWED IS ONLY 193.00 IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THEY COULD WAIT AN EXTRA 20 HRS BUT THEY JUST WANT TO HIT ME WITH THAT ### RECONNECT FEE THIS IS RIDICULOUS CUSTOMER SERVICE AND I CANT EVEN GET A MANAGER ON THE PHONE TO HELP ME ALL THEY WILL DO IS TRANSFER ME TO THE COMPLAINTS DEPARTMENT. ITS MY OPINION THAT THEY ARE BEING UNREASONABLE AND THEY DONT GIVE A ### ABOUT THE LITLE GUYS WHO ARE JUST TRYING TO WORK FOR A LIVING. I WOULD THINK THEY CAN GIVE A LITTLE LEWAY TO THE CONSUMER ESPECIALLY IN THIS TIME OF ECONOMIC HARDSHIP. MY NAME IS RODGER GAGNON JR. AND THIS IS MY COMPLAINT.

• Hu
      15th of Oct, 2009

Yes my bill gets mailed late but gets paid every month. i have never not paid in over 25 years to these people so for being late they are now punishing. I paid 219$ last month on the 19th this month was billed 147$ and they disconnected on the 14th charged me 517$ to reconnect 300$ for security was paid within 1 hr of the disconnect and here 24 hrs later they still have not restored my power 20 degrees last night with 4 children in the house small town no storms and they said at customer service they were having too many calls to come out. It was just punishment for being late. shut em off for 147$ after the tens of thousands i have spent with them over the last 25 years. They are lucky not to have any competition.

• Dt
      22nd of Jul, 2010

Before Consumers Energy makes any changes to your bills, rates, account numbers it states it very clearly on your bill what they are going to change. Why do they need to advertise on t.v. when it states in 100% clarity on your bill when something like that is going to happen. By the way, try getting your electricity from somewhere that isn't regulated and then complain about Consumers Energy, everything they do is approved by the MPSC and if they don't meet those standards set by the MPSC they are fined like crazy.

• El
      15th of Aug, 2013

Consumers energy seem to consintraited on private work and forget about the long lasting customer they have had for thirty years. 2 days before, discussing the limits they have on cutting a tree on a property line. Consumers assured me they would not go over the property line. Which they did and of course it can't be fixed because its all cut up.
    The customer service should be an automatic recording telling all customers we don't have time for you and we really don't care! That is exactly what I have experienced in a tree in my yard, with no permission and yah by the way, no wires were near where they were cutting?? There is no standard, just a guy that has rights to do whatever he feels like.

• Re
      6th of Jan, 2016

Been trying to get a Smart Meter for 2 years with no success! They tell me it won't change my bill. That's BS, when the lady on the phone said all Consumers Workers have Smart Meters. WHY?? CAUSE ITS SAVING THEM MONEY!! Maybe my Lawyer can help me out.