Consumers Energy - MI / Poor quality customer service and billing problems!

Consumers Energy decides to estimate meters whenever they don't feel like coming out to your house and giving you an actual reading. My bill went from $81.67 to $274.00 because they estimated instead of doing an actual reading. Not to mention their customer service is really of poor quality when they hang up on you.

Va

Comments

• Ha
      11th of Sep, 2008

I am having an attorney look up what legislature gives "Consumer Energy" the right to estimate usage instead of actual usage. This is an outrage and I think most of the public has no idea that they are being charged for services that they have not used.

• Ro
      17th of Jul, 2009

HERE IS A GOOD ONE FOR YOU!!! every month I lose power at least for a 12 hr period... I call and tell them and they take hours upon hours to fix... Not during big outages like most people but like in the middle of the night. last night no wind or clouds to speak of but at 130 am I lost power.. I am so lucky my cell phone is my alarm clock.. I would of lost my job by now.. I made companits but they fall on deaf ears.. THEY ARE TOO BIG AND DONT CARE!!!THEY CAN DO ANYTHING THEY WANT!! Someone needs to break this company up!!!

29th of Jul, 2009

The SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME! They hung up on me and essentially said that their online problems were my problem and that, oh by the way, they were planning to stop my service WITHOUT ANY NOTICE. I cannot tell you how mad I am right now & we all really have no other option out here!

30th of Jul, 2009

For the last four months we have had consistent problems with our bill. What a hassle, and a rip off!
    This last time the employee told us to evacuate our house, and sent someone here to investigate. She stated on
    our file a gas leak! Not even close. The employee who arrived was no help, and used profanity. This is a waste of our time, and clearly theirs. Prices could be lowered if they ran their business better!

• Ru
      17th of Mar, 2011

Here is a better one for you, I have renters that will not pay, the consumer's bill was in my name. They racked up a $1000 bill then the renters just changed the billing name just before shut off, consumer's energy never notified me of the change. I was going to let them shut the power off to get rid of the renters or force them to pay, but now consumer's energy tacks the bill on my credit and the low life renters will be able to stay in the house rent free longer WTF any suggestions?

• Mr
      30th of Mar, 2011

My bill was estimated as well and it went from $179 to $349. I was told it was there mistake but I will still need to pay the bill. Is there a State Representative we can call to handle these issues?

• Mr
      30th of Mar, 2011

They really suck!! I get a shut off notice every month for my bill even though it was under $200. Now my bill is higher cause they say it was a billing error. I have to constantly deal with their nasty attitudes and hang ups. We need to have another major energy company that would have great customer service and better rates or maybe everyone go green to eliminate their a#@#!!!

23rd of Apr, 2011

Our bill, labeled as an Actual reading, said we had 0 as in zero usage in February. How is that even possible? We called and they have no good explanation. Of course, the next months bill was sky high.Didn't Consumers get in trouble not too long ago for claiming actual readings when they were only estimating? I seem to remember that when I worked as a leasing agent for a large apartment complex and the bills for our tenants were all over the place.
    On a separate issue with Consumers- do you get auto-dial phone calls constantly, even after you have paid your bill? You do have the right to have your phone number removed from their system because using auto dialers to collect debts is illegal. They call cell phones which can cause charges and there is not a live person at the other end of the phone to speak with.

• Ca
      4th of Jun, 2011

What the company will NOT tell you, is that, in order for any complaint to be officially addressed or recognized, you must INSIST on a FORMAL COMPLAINT. The reps are trained to deflect objections and just allow the customer to vent, ect, to avoid anything going on actual record. Also, if you are just complaining about usage, the reps have to have you get your own meter reading and fill out useless paperwork and so on, so you are better off just calmly letting the rep know that you are calling to specifically file a formal complaint. That you do NOT want a callback from a supervisor (they are sometimes the same reps from the regular phones to cover for the actual supervisors and will do nothing else for you - again, avoiding an offiicial complaint.)
    The formal complaints are seen by the Public Service Commison - this is the only way they know there is a problem. If everyone did this instead of wasting time with the phone reps who are not empowered to change a thing, the problems that plague customers will actually see the light of day.

20th of Jun, 2011

We are from Kalamazoo in a dispute with CMS and now with the MPSC concerning a tale that is too long and aggravating to go into a lot of detail about. I am asking for those of you on this board to please contact the MPSC(517-241-6180) or (1-800-292-9555 for MI residents) and file your complaint. Then, call the gov's office and file the same complaint! We have been told that the MPSC actually has limited ability to force CMS to do anything! They answer to the gov's office(517-373-3400). Why do we have a toothless regulatory agency? That's a good question that a Gov's office assistant we spoke with is going to look into. It begs the question- what recourse do the citizens of MI actually have if CMS is defrauding them? And, one could argue it is fraud if they advertise and promise to deliver efficient and reliable energy- but ignore problems with the delivery that could be costing their customers thousands of $ each year. Apparently we are the only people to ever contact the Gov's office about these kinds of problems. I'm not sure if I buy that, but if you do it and then let us know- then I guess we KNOW we aren't the only ones.
    BTW Arual98- we were told that CMS couldn't figure out the difference between faulty readings from bad equipment retroactively. Basically, in our case it was looking like we would be owed a refund, so they chose to tell us they couldn't figure that out. Funny how they can figure out that YOU owe THEm somehow! You are absolutely correct- it was their equipment malfunction, their QS system that failed to catch it in a timely manner, and their loss because of their own failures. Stay on it and get people you know who have issues involved too. It's really easy to ignore a small handful of complaints, something CMS are old pros at. When it's coming from the Gov's office, a larger group and hopefully a news article or two it gets harder to ignore. We are working towards a formal complaint in front of a judge- so please contact us with your tale. We won't divulge identifying info., but each complaint helps us to know exactly what systems need fixing. karmadist@gmail.com

20th of Jun, 2011

sorry about the ' ! I am going for an apostrophe- but it doesn't seem to want to translate.