Consumer Portfolio Services / Illegal collection tactics

1 IA, United States Review updated:

To those of you that are currently being harassed by Consumer Portfolio Services please read this post. My wife and I took out a loan with this company two years ago and we have just tolerated the harassment that this company puts forth up until a couple a weeks ago. From the continuous calls at home/cell/work. To contacting people that aren't listed as our references over and over again after being told not to. Just a couple of weeks ago they contacted my neighbor and gave out our personal information. We have received Fed Ex letters demanding payment in full or they will come and get our vehicle. Come to find out what this company is doing is illegal and you can fight back. The key is recording conversations when speaking with someone from CPS, and having individuals whom you know are being contacted to record there calls or save there voice mails they are receiving. Trust me they will say something that is illegal! We have since filed a lawsuit against CPS and the calls stopped immediately and now we are going after them for money now!!! This company needs to be stopped. Please don't feel like you have no where to turn cause that is what my wife and I thought, but what they are doing is illegal and each and every case needs to be brought forth. Just go to Google and input "illegal collection tactics" and you will be well on our way to putting it right back in there face. I hope everyone that is being harassed by this company gets to read this and takes action on them cause I know how it feels!!! These are the rudest and most uneducated people I have ever dealt with.

Gr

Comments

• Ka
      7th of Aug, 2008

Hi Greg I have to ask you how things are going with your lawsuit. I was in the process and now am stuck not sure what to do because after CPS agreed with me over an arrangement on monday Aug 4th and giving me until friday to make my payment and then last night about 11:20 I was up doing my homework and I heard something outside when I looked there were 2 guys outside hooking up my car. When I went out there they were very rude and barely let me get my stuff out of there before they took it away. The whole time I have had this loan which has been just a little over 2 years I have had nothing but problems with them they would call us 10 to 20 times a day and when we answered the called they were very rude to us and when we let the answering meachine do it it was just the same but then they would start calling our references and other relatives that were not listed and they would tell them our personal information and even as far as asking them to pay the payment for us which is just totally wrong. In a way now I am glad I do not have to deal with them but also I am out over $13000 and my car was sold to me for $1539.46 but yet because of their high interests we still owed $13, 000. It is just down right rude and totally wrong what they are doing. I am disabled unable to work right now and my husband works construction and so when the weather is bad he cannot work so we got behid and I had tried to work out several different things but they never once offered to work with me.
    Kathy

• Sh
      18th of Aug, 2008

this company needs to be stopped they are out of control everything that everyone is saying happened to me also

• De
      19th of Aug, 2008

I have had it with these idiots!! A Mr. Verneer from the repo department called my father and told him he was a private investigator and that he needed my father's social security number. My Dad hit the ceiling and told him where he could go. I feel like we need to ban together and deliver CPS a class action law suit. I would love to find out how to get the process going. Any ideas?

• Ju
      20th of Aug, 2008

In July of 2006 we were financed through CPS and that is when the nightmare began. If we were a day late they were calling my husbands employer. We told them several times that he was not allowed calls at work and that did not seem to matter even though I told them it was illegal. They send us letters via Fedex demanding payment in full. All the while charging us for every letter they send. I do not know what to do! I understand that we have to make our payment but to what extent do we have to go to please these people. I need to know what we can do!?

• Ha
      1st of Oct, 2008

I have had the same type of calls from this company. Yesterday, I was in the hospital with my granddaughter who was in the delivery room having a baby. A member of her husband's family came running out of the room very upset and said there was a phone call for me. I tried to explaint to Steve Phillips that I couldn't talk. The doctor has just come into her room and they were getting ready for delivery, no one was supposed to be in the room but he had said this was an emergency. In the meantime he called my next door neighbor and left his name and phone number stating it was an emergency and he couldn't get an answer at my house. He couldn't get an answer because I was at the hospital. Every time I have had a phone call from this company it has been extremely rude, they have called all my friends, relatives, neighbors and I have no idea who else. I am contacting an attorney today, because although I could not have recorded his call to the hospital room, I do have proof he called there. I can ignore almost anything until it comes to something this unbelievably unprofessional and illegal.

• Ha
      1st of Oct, 2008

I have just filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at the following web site:
    I am following up with a law suit through my attorney, but if enough people complain to the FTC maybe they will stop this happening to someone else.

• Ge
      17th of Oct, 2008

This cimpany has been harrassing me as well thanks for the advice. I have asked several times that not call me at work. They have been rude and have threaten me as well. My friends and neighbors have been called too. I will follow up with the trade commision and file as you did. We will stop them one way or antoher. I will check with and attorney as well!

Good Luck

• Rr
      29th of Jun, 2009

I'm having the same situation I owed them $70 they called six times a day, not the same person, then when you talked to someone, they would have someoe else to call, then they apparently didn't record the information that you gave them the first time. I will also be checking to file a lawsuit against this company. This company is terrible.

15th of Sep, 2009

I would like to get involved in this as well. Isd there one lawyer people are going to?

• Ld
      23rd of Sep, 2009

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me if there is a lwasuit against these ###s!!!
    I will definatley lend my story, although you all have already told it. My wife and I thought we were the only ones.
    Lets band together and take these people (and I use that term lightly) DOWN!!!

• Em
      2nd of Nov, 2009

Hello that sounds like what happend to me but when I got the load one of their people called me right after I got the load and verified all the info was correct I said yes to them but I needed the payment to be set at the end of the month they said no problem just make the first payment on time then call in and have the date switched I did make the payment then they told me when I called back that no one in thier company would ever tell me that and they could not switch the date they since repoed the vehicle and did the same thing called everyone with illegal tactics and since sued me and won if anyone has any help on this situation please contact me ekshywonis@gmail.com I have talked to a couple lawyers and they told me its not worth my time just bite the bullet But I believe this company needs stopped and taught a lesson

• Bo
      8th of Dec, 2009

Same here, these people are relentless, they continously call my place of employment, gettting random people and asking them personal questions about me. They have gone
    onto my facebook and myspace pages and have contacted people on my friends list.
    They always have the same questions, where is the car, where is the payment, we can work with you, if you just give us a payment, we will defer the next, and when I call to defer, i am told that I cannot do that, that I have to make a payment.

When they call my place of employment, they ask whomever answers the phone ( I too work in a call center) if I am at work, if my car is parked in a secure location, if I drove it to work, what my hours are, and what time I should be on the street.
    Totally unprofessional.
    I have instructed them several times that they are to contact me and me only, they have
    my direct numbers, however they never call me, they call around.

They have also taken payments without authorization, and when I caught them, the only person that was honest and workable had told me about the draft, and suggested I stop payment, which I did, She also wanted me to call back on Monday because she was going to pull the recorded conversation, to see if I authorized the payment, and when I called back, I was told I was no longer allowed to speak with her, and that I owed them a payment plus $200.00 for late fees and the rejected payment.

I had my last car financed with them, and never experienced anything like this, however I don't know what has changed them, maybe the economy, but I am to the
    point now, that I am willing to turn it over, or leave it unattended with the keys
    and let someone take it, what the heck I will end up paying for it anyway.

I want to sue them as well, just for the mere satisfaction of seeing them on the other
    side of embarrassment. I have to face my co-workers everyday, and the fact that they
    know ALL my personal issues is just shameful!

• Hi
      15th of Dec, 2009

I thought it was just me. I am so overwelmed with this company I don't answer the phone when they call. They have called my home, work, cell, sent emails several times a day. Luckily I have a personal work phone with caller ID so I know it's them and don't answer it. They also threatend to repo my vehicle after one late payment and I am at the point where I just want them to come and get it.. I can't take this anymore. I'm not sure if they've called any of my relatives but I think most of my references have gotten their numbers changed thanks to the comcast triple play..lol It's really a sad situation but I've got to laugh sometimes to keep from crying. Can't get out of the note after two years because of the high interest. It should really be illegal for them to do this. I was able to look on their online site and get a breakdown of the interest and principle payments. There are times where they didn't even apply ANY of my monthly payment to the principle. I've been trying to refinance the car and can't because I purchased a home this year (so CPS reps it's not always the bad credit people who get stuck with you). I should of just kept the car I traded in, it would of saved me the headache.

• Pi
      11th of Jan, 2010

If they have a BBB rating of F, why do car dealerships even bother using them? I am greatly confused about all this. I had an agreement i had my account set up the guy Melvin said he would waive the 10dollar + or so fee for the draft, my bank bounced the payment over 22 cents, and now im in a boat. i am being told i shouldn't pay them because i will lose my money and get the car reposessed. i in 20+ yrs of life never had a late car payment until the governor furloughed us and i ran through my savings. now i am one month late, and they are closing my pay loan out in default to repo the car. WTF?! if they were reported to the FTC, why has not anything happened to this company yet. whats it going t take an act of Congress?! Someone update this link as to what is going on ..

• Fr
      15th of Jan, 2010

this company sucks and no matter who or how much you contact or complain they keep getting away with it! I wish i had money for an attorney i swear i would drop the ball on they a$$e$!

20th of Jan, 2010

OMG! I thought I was the only one ! This company CAN AND WILL BE STOPPED

• Tk
      25th of Jan, 2010

I called CPS last week just out of curiousity for the pay-off on my car...OMG!!! I bought the car in July 2007 & if they "could" change my due date, I would never be late but with that being said I am usually no more than 2 weeks late on my payment. I bought the car for $13K w/14% interest rate (so I was told) & almost 2 1/2 years of payments made, I still owe $12, *** !!! I don't even like the car!!! I looked through the envelope that was given to me at the dealer & any other documents pertaining to the loan & I have NO copy of my contract. I have never received anything from CPS other than monthly statements & hourly phone calls!!! I am going to do some research regarding an Attorney General complaint as well as FTC, BBB & please contact me if a class action suit comes along.

• Ra
      30th of Jan, 2010

we want to get these suckers out of business so please email cpsclassactionlawsuit@gmail.com

Its about time we all file a class action lawsuit. There is a lawyer willing to take on this case

• Mr
      3rd of Mar, 2010

I'm also receiving threats from them concerning the repo of my car, I would like to know more about this class action lawsuit. my e-mail address is : timbeth2009@yahoo.com

• Ow
      30th of Mar, 2010

I was reading someones comments on not signing a contract w/ CPS I looked through all my paperwork and I do not have a contract either my contract states GMAC. If there is a suit against them I need to get in ASAP. I lost my daughter in October and fell behind on my bills. They harassed me so bad I told them to come get the car and they will not even come get it. I just cant not deal w/ this company emotionally Im losing my mind please contact me if there is a suit against CPS! owensbea@yahoo.com