Consumer Portfolio Services / Harassing tactics

1 860 Greenbrier Cir - Greenbrier Tower IChesapeake, VA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-757-0211 x5368

This company is a plain pain in the ? If I am more that 5 days late on a payment, they start calling 5-8 times a day on my home phone and cell phone. Then if I do not respond to their calls they start harassing anyone I listed on my original loan application as references. Currently I have had a financial setback but even so I have not been even 30 days late. usually the payment has been made long before the 30 days deadline for actually being considered late and reported to the credit bureaus. This should be considered harassment right? They call starting at 7:45am and continue up until 8:30-9:00pm and on Saturdays and Sundays. What can be done?

Comments

2nd of Jan, 2008

I have the same problem with these calls, in my case they also used to send faxes to my employer. The problem was that we got the faxes from a fax center.

• Li
      8th of Feb, 2008

This company has done nothing but lied and harrassed me. My truck was totaled in November 2007. Due to the accident I have a spinal injury which required surgery. While I was in the hospital they called my house 24 times in 2 days. I was told I would recieve an extention in December, to go find me another truck and they would refinance me. NOT ! They turned me down. I have been cussed out, threatened, they won't work with me at all. They even gave out personal information to my brother who was taking my calls. That is against the law ! Something has to be done. This is outrageous and ridiculous!

• Na
      27th of Feb, 2008

This is the same ### they do to me all the time. I even tryed calling them to see about extending the loan payment to 36 or 72 months. NO GO CARLO! They wont even budge. What if anything can be done?

• To
      6th of Mar, 2008

Try paying your bills on time like a responsible adult instead of whining.

• Do
      18th of Jul, 2008

We recently traded in our car that was financed through CPS (the best thing we could have ever done).
    But get this...they are still calling us to pay them even though we don"t have it anymore and they have spoken to the new company about the payoff. They want us to pay them and when they get the payoff they will refund us our payment. They are very rude...everyone I've ever spoke to is totally rude and unprofessional. I will never use this company again...NEVER!!! So everyones complaint does not have to do with paying their bills late, and even if it was that's what a grace period is for, everyone needs grace at one time or another...even you.

• Kc
      6th of Mar, 2009

I am having the same proble with them, Every time they do this go to the federa trade commision website and file an electrroinc commplaint and also go to your states attorney website and file a complaint. I am hoping that if the continue to recieve complaint each moth the numbers will grow and they will do something. These are direct violation of the federal trade commission law . maybe this can be a class action.

• Kc
      6th of Mar, 2009

To Tom Even if a person is late they still do not have the right to harrass people in this manner. If you read through some of the complaints this company will not adjust due dates and they are simple interest loan. So they are collecting, late fees as well as daily interest fees so if a person wants to pay the late fees then let them but they should be able to do it without threats

• Co
      13th of Jul, 2009

Where to begin? I purchased my truck back in September of '07, and knew from the get-go that I had some bad credit, but was motivated to pay on the vehicle, on time, and build my credit back up. Sounds like a good plan. I can state very clearly that from a financing point of view I knew exactly what I was getting into. High interest, bottom of the barrel lender. However, the following is an interesting development in poor business. I will keep it short as some is currently still developing.

#1. These idiots will in fact spam-call/harass anybody they figure is mildly associated with you. They will. Its true. Its a simple fact.

#2. They will continue to call people who were specific with them in return when telling them to not call said individual anymore, and to remove their name from the list.

#3. I had a major mechanical problem with the truck. These things happen. I even had a bit of cash stashed away just in case this occured. I was told initially that they offered deferred payments for mechanical issues. After spending massive amounts of cash (Three payments worth) on a repair, I was told that it was simply "Too Bad" and that their policy was not to allow for a deferment.

#4. Coincidentally I had the honor of partaking in a mass layoff at roughly the same time, and there is of course a window in which Unemployment Insurance takes time to kick in, not to mention my gross earnings fell to less than half of what I was making prior. No working with me here either.

So now we are in a state of economical turmoil rivaling the decay witnessed during the Great Depression, and we have a company that laughably will not work with its customers in the hope of getting their regular payments in on time, but furthmore harasses them and anyone they know/may know/might have known, to try and get a payment while said individual does important things on minor amounts of cash like, for example: Buying formula for their baby, buying diapers for their baby, feed their family, pay rent, pay power bills, pay water bills, pay trash bills, pay sewer bills, pay medical bills, and the list is endless. Then, the best part, if you voluntarily acknowledge your breach of contract, during these harsh and overbearing times and move to do a voluntary surrender, they will still threaten to sue you, and attach your wages. You know, if you can find a way to survive.

I am a US Combat Veteran and have been through ### more painful than a kick in the face with a golf shoe while simultaneously chewing glass, yet it never ceases to amaze me how absolutely selfish American Companies have become.

I'm thinking about simply voluntarily surrendering the vehicle, even with the impending lawsuit. I can only hope a figurehead of our American court system can equate the difference between "Justice" and "Law".

Hooah