Consumer Portfolio Services / Bad Business Practices

1 Irvine, CA, United States Review updated:

My boyfriend and I have fought with CPS for over a year regarding a truck we purchased from them. We settled out of court and they have refused to pay what they settled for. They settled with us not a judge telling us what we were going to be given. They settled with us and then have not paid. We have filed several contempt of court charges on them and still they refuse to pay. At this point we are either going to own the company or force them to close down and liquidate all their assets to pay for this debt they owe us. I have read online where others are having the same issue and you would think CPS would learn from their mistakes and just pay. In the end they are not going to have a choice anyway but to pay what they owe. If anybody else is running into this same issue with CPS I suggest you contact Federal Trade Commission because they will give you results.

Sw
Nov 24, 2014

Comments

• Ti
      24th of Apr, 2008
    Consumer Portfolio Services - harrassimg
    consumer portfolio services

I fell behind in my payments due to loss of work ...This company full my cell and home phone bill and proceed to call family members and clients and discuss my personal financal matters with them. very unprofessional tactics...please shed some advice is that legal.

• Li
      2nd of Oct, 2008

The wrost ting you can do is avoid them, because just like any other bill collector they want there money. they will work with as mutch as they can. make sure you keep your word as far as payment arangement you make. I know because i got into some truble but they worked with me and now. my credit is better than ever

• To
      16th of Oct, 2008
    Consumer Portfolio Services - Harrassing phone call an threats at work
    Consumer portfolio Services
    Florida

They call my job at least 5 times a day and tell who every answers the phone the status of my account an leaves threats on my personal answering machine.

• Ca
      19th of Oct, 2008

I too have been the victim of this harrassment from CPS.Due to the economy my husband lost his job about 2 years ago, and has not been able to find sufficient work to support the family and pay bills on time. They are very aware of my position, but still dont care as long as they get the payment.

• Tr
      3rd of Mar, 2009

I WISH I HAD NEVER DONE BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY. I TELL THEM EVERYTIME THEY CALL ME AT WORK I CAN NOT GET CALLS THEY SAY MY ACCOUNT DOES NOT SHOW THAT DONT KNOW HOW IT COULD NOT BE I HAVE HAD ABOUT 1O CALLS AND EACH TIME TELL THEM NOT TO CALL ME AT WORK. THEY CALLED MY NEIGHBOR ONCE AND TOLD HIM TO GIVE ME A MESSAGE I WAS BEHIND ON MY CAR PAYMENT. WHO DOES THIS COMPANY STAY IN BUSINESS WHEN THEY VILOATE THE FAIR DEBT COLLECTIONS. THEY ARE ALL REAL RUDE WHEN THEY TALK TO I HAVE ONLY HAD ONE PERSON IN THE 3 YEARS I HAVE DONE BUSINESS WITH THEM THAT WAS HALF WAY DECENT.THEY ALSO RAN A CHECK WHEN THEY WERE NOT SUPPOSE TO WHICH REALLY PUT MY BANK ACCOUNT IN A HORRIBLE STATE, TOLD THEM THEY DID NOT CARE.

• Lm
      21st of Apr, 2009

I am glad I am not the only one having issues with this company. I have gone through similiar things as the complaints listed. At one point, a male from the comapny called and told the receptionist is was my husband, and another time a female called telling the receptionist it was and extreme emergency and she had to speak to me. And I have CPS on more than one occasion I can not take personal calls at work. My car is almost paid off and I certainly won't be doing business with them once it is paid off and I will not recommend them to anyone.

• Ca
      21st of Apr, 2009
    Consumer Portfolio Services - harassing phone calls, visits
    Virginia
    consumerportfolioservices.com

They are terrible. They break every sarbanes oxley rule in place. They call my neighbors, get their numbers from white pages, they call my work, they told me to sell my jewelry. They called my daughter names and called me names. They finally took the vehicle, and I feel releived and not afraid of them anymore. Terrible company to deal with during tough economic times.

• Ti
      22nd of Apr, 2009

You need to file a complaint with your state attorney general office. Then you need to file one with the federal trade com. let them know what they did because it is illegal.

• Ad
      23rd of Apr, 2009

Consumer Portfolio Services is what you call A SUB-PRIME LENDER! It is the Equivalent to getting a loan with a LOAN SHARK! Their UNPROFESSIONAL, UNRULY MANNER, LAW BREAKING TACTICS, are exactly what you will get with a Company like this... This company's SURVIVAL is by PREYING on those who have filed BK and those who may be having financial problems! This company MAKES BANK by giving you a loan with a JACKED-UP INTEREST RATE! If you are 1 min late on your payment you can count on getting several HARRASSING phone calls! If payment is not made, they turn around repossess the car and you are responsible for the deficeit...HEY DOES THIS SOUND FAMILIAR TO ANY OF YOU THAT HAVE LOST YOUR HOME TO SUB-PRIME HOME LENDERS! These people operate the same way! However, you the Consumer has RIGHTS! The DC (debt collector) cannot call you at WORK... They cannot call your EMPLOYER... and they cannot call your REFERENCES and DISCUSS YOUR LOAN OR BUSINESS WITH THEM... They cannot THREATEN YOU, and they cannot say things such as " we are going to garnish your wages.." they cannot be abusive in any way... Each State has similar but different laws regarding repossession and it would behoove anyone to contact a Consumer Attorney to know your State Laws... There is also THE ROSENTHAL FAIR DEBT COLLECTION PRACTICES ACT... (California) You may send a CERTIFIED letter to CPS and Request that they stop Harrassing you and anyone else they may be bothering with your loan... By Law, they should honor your request... However, dont be surprised if they won't... The point is to start documenting on paper what is occuring with you and this company... BUT FIRST DISCUSS YOUR RIGHTS WITH AN ATTORNEY... Some attorneys are willing to give you free advice... Good Luck to anyone who has a loan with this Company... your going to need it...

• Me
      11th of Jun, 2009
    Consumer Portfolio Services - unauthorized call
    consumer portfolio services

They call everyday, whether my car payment is late or not, they called my next door neighbor to see if my car was there, even though I did NOT put them down as a reference, I don't even HAVE THEIR PHONE NUMBER! won't come get the car, continue to call me, my family, my neighbors.

• Wh
      19th of Jun, 2009
    Consumer Portfolio Services - Calls to family members

This company has my address and phone number though it is a cell, yet they continue to call family members. And they gave out financial information to them! One representative even went so far as to say that a the family member they were calling was also responsible to pay this. Of all the nerve! I am going to sue. Has anyone else had problems with them? Like this?

• Ra
      29th of Jun, 2009

Is there anyone knowledgeable enough to start and file a class action lawsuit against this company.
    I know their practices has to be illegal in more ways than just one.

• Js
      29th of Jun, 2009

Nothing they are doing is illegal. The easiest way to get them to stop calling and telling your neighbors/work that "CPS" has a message for them is to pay their bills on time. Cut off that cable tv, get rid of that cell phone, stop buying new clothes for awhile, make your CPS bill your highest priority. Do this until they are paid off and have no further need to hound you to pay your obligations.

• Sh
      6th of Jul, 2009

I wish someone would get a suit started against them for illegal debt collection practices. They have broken so many laws it is unreal. Maybe I'll record my next phone conversation with them.

• Sh
      6th of Jul, 2009

We sure have. From day one of buying our van.

• Er
      14th of Nov, 2009

I had the same issue - they called everyone BUT me! I really wish a class action suit could be taken...count me in if it does

• Ju
      23rd of Nov, 2009

I too have had the same exact problem with this company. I have come to the conclusion that this is a govt owned company. Because they break every law that can be broken and they are still in business, it leads me to believe that the govt set up this company to give the poorest of poor and those that struggle the most to pay their debts for whatever reason, a loan to get a car so they can continue to work. A person with a car is much more likely to be responsible then someone who doesn't have a car. If it wasn't a govt owned company there is no way they wouldn't have been sued. I would like to start a civil law suit. I would like to get everyone that has had any kind of bad experience with this company an opportunity to take part in this law suit. If you are interested in moving forward with me, please email me at [protected]@yahoo.com. In the subject line please post CPS Car issues. If you would forward me an email with what you have gone thru with this company and any contact info you feel comfortable sharing, I promise you I will do my best to expose these people in our court system. This company went into my daughters checking account a second month in a row, and took payment, even though they were told several times that they could only take one months payment. The lady then said to my daughter we will be taking next months payment as well. My daughter said no, they didn't have her permission to go in there any other time but the payment she was calling for. They went ahead and stole the money out of her account the next month without any kind of contact or permission. I too have suffered all the same phone harassment as well as having all my family members being told that they were coming to repo my car. Again, I will be shopping for an attorney and filing a class action law suit. If the govt is behind this, it needs to be exposed, if this is an American company doing business in America, then they need to abide by the laws in America and calling and threatening and stealing money from our accounts is not the way we do business in a law abiding country. Email me if you are interested in joining this civil lawsuit. [protected]@yahoo.com

• Ts
      2nd of Feb, 2010

I cannot WAIT to pay the balance on this loan.
    Very Rude people in this corporation.

• Le
      6th of Feb, 2010
    Consumer Portfolio Services - Debt collectors

My complaint is in regard to these complaints. Do some googling, learn your rights. Here are some consumer websites.

• Wh
      25th of Feb, 2010

We paid off our balance with our taxes. We sent a MoneyGram through Walmart for over $2000+. My husband called adn got the payoff balance that was good for a week or so. He called to confirm the payment went through aftermaking it (it usually takes 15 minutes or so) All is good, right? WRONG!!! We get a call 4 days later saying they are picking up the car BLAH