Conn's Appliances / dont buy from cons

1 Houston, TX, United States Review updated:

Before I get into details, never buy from conn's. It will be a most regretable mistake if you do.

Here goes, when I got married, I seperated from my roomates and moved out to my own place with my newlywed wife. To please my dearest, we decided to get new furniture for our new place. New livingroom set and new kitchen appliances. Refrigerator and stove. We did some shopping, and me trying tosave a few bucks wanted to buy a used set for about 300 bucks from a friend that repaired and sold appliances. He was even willing to give me a 2 year warranty. My wife wanted new. Lets make her happy. We ended up in conn's and she fell in love with this black set of matching range and fridge for 2200 bucks. Ouch. My income was fair, but my credit was not from my earlier years of teen crediting. When I did the application they said that I would qualify, so I was excited as was my wife, that we looked around to see about the livingroom set she wanted and they had some nice sets on show. Problem was, my credit score only allowed me enough of a credit limit for the appliances. They suggested doing a joint application with my wifes good credit, even though her income was barely over 10 grand a year at her part time job. We were exstatic to see that her good credit gave our store limit a nice boost. That night we signed a contract for a new range stove, a matching fridge, and a nice 7 piece living room set. I was too busy enjoying the smile on my wife's face, that the 4, 500 price tag didnt bother me, yet as always, I always prepared myself for the worse, and decided to get additional extended warranty on all our things for 300 bucks, and a credit protection plan for an extra 400 bucks.

I paid for our account diligently for over a year without ever being late on a single payment. Then disaster struck in our lives with hurricane ike in sept. Of 2008. Due to ike we lost our home we were living in because of excessive damage, and I actually lost my job as well. Bummer. Being that we had nowhere else to go, me and my family moved a small town in kansas close to my wifes relatives. Two days after my due date conns called my still local cell phone screaming and demanding payment for a past due account.in the midst of our move and loss of home and job, I had forgotten to send in a payment to conn's. My payment was due on the 5th day of each month, it was october 7th, and they were threatengin to reposses. I was dumbfounded at how quick they wanted to take everything back, and on such a short period of being late. Ridiculous if you as me, but I overlooked the issue and made a payment then and there with my debit card, telling myself that the whole southeast coast was hit bad by ike so everyone was hurting for money. I forgave their impoliteness. A couple of months went buy and only my wife had found part time work in this small town we live in, and up until then I had been paying bills with our savings. I had been hoping to find a job right away and continue paying my bills without going into any insurance programs or anything, due to me being prideful, yet savings started running low, and still no job. Then in january I decided to call them up about my credit protection plan which covered unemployment. After a few weeks and many calls they finally provided me with the phone number for the insurance company, conn's kept claiming that I should know the number from my copy of the contract, and they would not give me the number, even tho I kept explaingin that ike made me move and a lot of paperwork was stored away in boxes and others lost in damage with ike. When I finally called the insurance company, they denied my unemployment claim because they stated my wife was the primary account holder and she would have to be unemployed, funny thing is, the credit protection policy is in my name. So I had to struggle to continue paying the bill and a 400 dollar credit protectiong fee went to the trash.in march, one of the legs on the couch broke off when the couch was being moved. At the signing of our contract we were told that if conn's could not repair it themselves, that they would refund the cost of someone repairing our furniture or appliances because of our extended warranty. Well, when I called them about the broken couch leg, they said that our warranties were void the minute we moved. So many other complaints have happened, too many to list. And we are stillstuck with conn's calling and harrassing when we are but a few days late. I still to find work in the small town I live in, I do a lot of side jobs to get by, but thats to get by, I have to toddlers to take care of and they come first over conns. I fear that im stuck with conns for the time being because my only two options are to pay the bill or let them repossess. And although ive considered a repossession to be a relief at this point, they cant do it because I live in kansas now and the nearest conns is 600 miles away. I cant afford them to go legal because that adds more fees on top of what I owe, I swear tho, if I do move back to texas soon, I will take all this crap back to their store and lete it fall off the back of my truck before I give it back. I can sit on the floor, I rather buy a used 200 buck fridge temporarily, and I can use a camping stove to cook. They can have their overpriced crap back for all I care. Being customers of conns has been nothing less than a nightmare for me and my family, they have no ethics and they harrass u at all times and hours. Before you buy, beware.

Comments

10th of Oct, 2009

this very typical of Conn's...everyone that i know who has dealt with them have had a similar experience...they really deserve to go out of business...they are such insensitive blood suckers