Conn's Appliance Store / Poor Customer Service

1 1021 N Central ExpyPlano, TX, United States Review updated:
Phone: 469-467-9937

To Whom It May Concern,

Today my boss and I went into one of your stores in Plano, 1021 N Central Expy and felt like I had been treated like a criminal. I was there to purchase a vent hood microwave for $249.00. I was met by an elderly salesman by the name of Kent Tipsword.

I was originally seemingly helped by Mr. Tipsword. I wanted a microwave that was no longer stocked in the warehouse so I asked if I could buy the floor model. I was told no because they may be receiving some more in sometime but I was not offered to receive one when they came in. So to me that is false advertising a model that you cannot offer anyone.

Then I finally picked another model that I felt would match well if I bought one of your ranges as well. We sat down to pull up my existing account. I was in last fall and had opened an account then. Mr. Tipsword could not pull it up by phone number as I had changed the number since then at my home but all the information was the same; my address, work history of 16 yrs, the work phone number etc. He said he could not help me any further unless I could prove the new number I had. Now I find this very frustrating as you are asking me to come back in to finish paperwork etc. I can prove who I am by my license or any number of ways. I told him to forget it as I felt he didn’t care if I bought with Conn’s or not. I started to walk away and another very nice Conn’s worker told him to go ask the manager if there was something else they could do rather than lose my business. Mr. Tipsword had the audacity to tell her no no don’t do that. So she got up and went to ask herself. The manager came over and said I could fax it in but that doesn’t help me from still not having to come back and proceed with the approval and down payment. I was willing to pay the $64.00 for delivery and I was told it would cost another $89.00 to install, which I find as another bit of crappy service to charge to different charges when you are already at my home, plus the 10% down right then but they just stood there and looked at me like I was a idiot customer. Now I admit I was getting very upset just because of their actions. The only one who gave a crap if I purchased anything or not was the gracious lady who was trying to go above and beyond for a return customer. Not only do I have an account in good standing but my husband does as well. We had referred my son to you guys and he has made major purchases there. We have all bought within this same store but I guarantee that we will never do so again because of the body language and just plain uninterested treatment by the salesman and the manager of the store.

I cannot tell you when I have been treated as I was today. It was also quite embarrassing to be treated this way in front of my boss. I have resolved unless you can offer to waive at least one of the charges to on delivering or installing the microwave and/or stove I will take my business down the street. I’m truly sorry for all of this as I had expected to take of this and have my new appliances bought by today. I will make sure I tell everyone that I had shared with to make purchases with you not to do so as well as more friends if we cannot come to a resolution that changes my mind. I hope this doesn’t fall on deaf ears as I would like this to be handed to someone in a position that knows what customer service is all about.

Comments

• Sc
      19th of Feb, 2008

I believe you genuinely wrote that letter & in fact you described the situation very well Mrs Koonce, since it appears that Coon's didn't take you seriously, did you think about sending a copy of your letter to their corporate office? Hopefully the workers can assist you further with this situation :)

Pablo

• Ro
      26th of Apr, 2008

i bought a frigidaire all stainless steel refrigerator from conns and the compressor and evaporator went out on it within one year. called the service department and was told that the part should take about a week to get the parts. well it has now been over 3 weeks and the part finally came in, but i could not get the service technician back to install the parts due to the parts was not sent from san antonio to austin. i called and was told that the service was set up to be done on friday april 28th and it was not done and no one called to let me know what was happening. called back and was told that i would have a technician out between 5 and 7 pm, but no one showed up. this is a refrigerator that should not take 4 weeks to fix considering that this is the most inportant appliance in every household. i have lost food and cannot buy items needed to make meals for fear of germs growing without refrigeration. sending a certified letter to the corporation's office in beaumont requesting better attention be taken for customers with a refrigerator problem to be given priority since this is a need for any household. hopefully better consideration will be given as the management of this organization would treat us as important as if it was in their own home.

rosemary lester

• Dd
      2nd of Jun, 2008

It has been a living hell since my delivery on May 25th 2008. The frig was defected and they refused to replace it. I have gone through 13 people, 2 store managers in Lafayette, La. 2 asst. man. 1 salesman, 2 warehouse supervisor, 4 customer service in Corp. Beaumont and a service person. NO ONE HELPED ME. Stuck with a defected frig. Been buying appliances for over 40 years and will never, never buy from Conn's again. Their name speaks for itself. Horrible service and experience.

20th of Oct, 2008

I just submitted another complaint about Conn's for the exact same that Rosemary had. Almost identical issue, very poor customer service. I've now been without my refrigerator for 4 weeks now. Had a long delayed part delivery followed by 2 no shows from the tech. Called them today and they said they have me scheduled for the 27th. Today's the 20th. I will never do business with these people again. I live in 15 minutes from Beaumont. I have the address for the cooperate office. I'm going down there to personally tell who ever will listen they have lost my business. I'm also going to give them the link to this web site.

Charles Westmoreland

• Du
      24th of Oct, 2008

we have dealt with conns for 48 years and bought all our appliances from them. we have a late model dish washer, it broke and they ordered parts. aweek ago today i called, they part camein. we waited a week and didnt hear from them so i called today and they said it will be 11 more days, because we were put on waiting list today.this is not the conns we have known for years. as far as i can tell your service and attitude stinks dudley mccabe

• Em
      10th of Nov, 2008

I HAVE A COMPLAINT AGAINST CONN'S CUSTOMER SERVICE AS WELL. I HAVE NEVER RECEIVED SUCH POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM ANY OTHER APPLIANCE STORE. ORIGINALLY I WAS ATTRACTED BY THEIR AFFORDABLE PRICES BUT IT WAS NOT LONG AFTER I REALIZED THAT THOSE PRICES WERE GOING TO COST ME IN THE LONG RUN. A REFRIGERATOR I BOUGHT FROM CONN'S BROKE DOWN 6 MONTHS AFTER I HAD PURCHASED IT, I PLACED THE CALLED FOR THE TECHNINCIAN TO COME OUT TO MY HOUSE ON A THURSAY AND I WAS TOLD BY ONE OF THE REPS THAT THESE KIND OF SITUATIONS WERE CONSIDERED URGENT AND THAT SOMEONE WOULD BE OUT THERE WITHIN 48 HOURS, WELL 48 HOURS CAME AND WENT AND NO ONE WAS COMING, I CALLED BACK AND IT TURNS OUT THAT THE CALL I HAD MADE PREVIOUSLY WAS NOT EVEN FOUND IN THEIR SYSTEM, THEY RESCHEDULED ME FOR ANOTHER APPOINTMENT WHICH WAS ATTENDED TWO DAYS LATER THE REASON I WAS TOLD WAS BECAUSE THE TECH THAT TOOK CARE OF THE APPLIANCES IN THE AREA WHERE I LIVE WAS OUT SICK, I REALLY FOUND IT UNBELIEVEABLE THAT THEY ONLY HAD ONE PERSON WHO COULD DO THIS JOB, I HAD NO OTHER CHOICE BUT TO WAIT. ONCE THE TECH CAME AROUND HE TOLD ME IT WOULD TAKE 3 TO 6 WEEKS FOR THE PART TO COME IN AND FOR HIM TO INSTALL IT. I WAS SO UPSET I EVEN WENT INTO THE STORE TO SEE IF I COULD JUST GET AN EVEN EXCHANGE THAT IDEA WAS REFUSED COMPLETELY THEY OBVIOUSLY DID NOT UNDERSTAND THAT I WAS AT HOME WITHOUT A REFRIGERATOR AND WITH THREE CHILDREN THAT NEEDED TO HAVE MILK, EGGS AND SO ON. BY THIS TIME MY BILL FOR TAKEOUT WAS GETTING PRETTY EXPENSIVE. I TALKED TO THREE DIFFERENT SALESMEN AND TWO MANAGERS ABOUT MY SITUATION, ALL THEY DID WAS GIVE ME THE PHONE NUMBER FOR THE SUPERVISOR IN THE HOUSTON AREA, I WAS HONESTLY VERY DISAPPOINTED THAT THE SO CALLED SUPERVISOR WOULD NOT TAKE MY CALL, THERE WERE PROMISES I WOULD HEAR FROM HIM BUT I NEVER DID, I LEFT HIM MESSAGES LIKE 10 DIFFERENT TIMES. I ENDED UP WAITING FOR THE REPLACEMENT PART FOR ABOUT 4 WEEKS. IT WAS NOT UNTIL I THREATED TO GO AND DROPP OF THE REFRIGERATOR AT THE STORE'S FRONT DOOR THAT THEY OFFERED TO PAY FOR THE FOOD LOSS THAT I HAD SUFFERED. I WAS GIVEN AN APPLICATION TO FILL OUT AND I WAS SUPPOSE TO WAIT FOR AN ANSWER, I NEVER DID IT ALL I WANTED WAS FOR THE BROKEN REFRIGERATOR TO GET FIXED. NOW THAT SAME REFRIGERATOR IS BROKEN DOWN AGAIN I THINK I AM JUST GOING TO PUT IT OUT ON THE CURVE IN THE TRASH. ONE THING I WANT TO MAKE CLEAR I WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING AT CONN'S IN MY LIFE. THEY ARE UNPROFESSIONAL, UNTRAINED, AND RUDE TO SAY THE LEAST THEY ARE RIPPING PEOPLE OFF.

• Bp
      11th of Nov, 2008

I agree, My service has been a nightmare ever
    since I got my side -by side refrigerator years ago.
    It has never ...ever worked properly and sometimes
    it takes a month or more to get a part. They don't
    call back when they say they will. They give you a total run around in the service department and they
    could care less. I can't even get phone numbers that
    I need from them. What a rip-off. It's not fair. Just
    go listen to their ongoing message about their great
    customer service!!! I'm so angry...and I'm not
    a person who gets upset easily. You're caught in
    their system and theirs nothing that you can do!!!

• Gr
      4th of May, 2009

I have been treated so unfairly by Conn's. The way they treat their customers after the sale is horrible!!! Worse off you cannot talk to someone that is willing to help. No return calls and when they do..they speak to you so rudely.I will NEVER buy another product from Conn's in any state!!. The word of mouth is very powerful..pass the word how you have been treated.

• Vi
      4th of May, 2009

I have never in my life experienced such horrendous customer service. I work for Bank of America and if I spoke to customers the way that 'Shaconna, ' the "so-called" supervisor in Beaumont talked to me, I would be walked to the door and fired. She immediately answered the call gruffly like she had better things to do than speak to me. She was verbally hostile, challenging me to "come down to the store because we have an officer that can take care of you." She basically spoke to me like I was one of her "girlfriends" or some stranger. Very, very unprofessional. I called in twice and was hung up on twice. The call center associates were rude. Why, because they know that their fellow African-American supervisor would cover for them. I don't care what race you are, you have no right to talk to customers that way, we pay your salary. If we stop buying and believe me I am, and others stop buying, believe me, I'll tell everyone I know and more to stop buying at Conn's, your company will go under. If you are considering shopping here...DON'T...this place is a garbage heep and I hope they go the way of Cicuit City. I am an electronics nut, and Conns has lost all future business from me. The second I can I'm paying off their account and throwing the receipt in their faces.

• Sc
      20th of Aug, 2009

Slow Learner: First I purchased a television set from Conn's - the salesman Patrick said it was in stock at first then when I was actually ready to purchase it; he told me it was not in stock but he would have it trucked in from San Antonio the next day. We went to pick it up the next Day after I called and confirmed with Patrick the salesman that it was there. Patrick said he would not be in but that he had marked my name on it and anyone there could get if for me. A young man (salesperson) brought it out and laid it in the back sit of my truck. The way he carried it and laid it down it concealed a huge basketball size hole in the box. I got home and took the box out and found the hole! There was NO Styrofoam protecting the television - the cardboard on the box was thick - so logic would dictate that what ever was strong enough to make a hole that size in the box had to hit the television directly, there is no way it could not have damaged the television. Yet Conn's sales person Patrick put my name on that box and the other Conn's sales person who carried it to my car made sure to conceal the large hole. I called them to bring it back and Patrick told me I could not bring it back - even though I had just got it - that it was against their policy - Conn's sells defective merchandise and refuses to exchange it. So I loaded up the television and drove down there - they were rude and uncaring at best!!! They made me (60 and disabled and my Dad 86 and disabled wait for hours!!! Finally when they figured out I was not leaving one of the Managers did the exchange we were there for at least 4 hours!

While, waiting and waiting and waiting... I saw a Sony laptop computer (red which is my favorite color) I just fell in love with it. I thought Sony is a good brand name (I think) so even though Conn's is selling it surely - it will be ok. WRONG! We went back a few weeks later after my birthday was close and my Dad had asked me what I would like for my birthday and I told him the red Sony Laptop I had seen at Conn's. My Dad's response was... are you sure you want to go back to Conns after what we have experienced with them... and I said well I have never seen a red laptop before and I would just love to have it for my birthday... and I think Sony is a good brand.

So, we went and purchased the Sony laptop... this time from a salesman named Daniel. Daniel is now denying this but the truth is he told us that if we bought the top warranty from Conns - if something went wrong with the computer they would replace it. Just to make sure I repeated what I heard back and he confirmed. Now he is saying he never said that, what do you expect from Crooks!!

I took my laptop to my Computer Tech who has taken care of my other computers in the past and everything has always been done perfectly by him without any problems. He came highly recommended to me through word-of-mouth references. He has been in the business for many years - with an unblemished outstanding reputation. (Unlike Conns) He put on my Norton protection and personalized the new laptop for me. He told me that he had noticed it seemed "sluggish" and was slow in starting up and thought there might be a problem with it. I tried it for 3 days - and each time I was using it after being on it for awhile the screen would go black and it shut-down -- I would have to press the button to get it back on again and each time a screen would come up that stated... Windows was shutdown suddenly trying to recover. Obviously the laptop is seriously defective!!!

I called Daniel (the Conn's salesman who sold it to me) and told him what was going on and that I wanted to bring it back and exchange it for another one. Now, I get a totally different story then what I got when I was buying it. He told me no exchanges! I argued with him that I had - had it for only a few days and he knew it was a birthday present. I said there is no legitimate reason what a large store like Conns cannot take it back and give me another. I said besides I bought all the warranties Conns had to offer and you told me that if something went wrong with it you would take it back and give me another. He denied saying that!!!

So now I am in the process of trying to get ahold of Bill Nylin who is the Vice President and wrote the response statement to the Attorney General's Office. This is posted on the internet. I was stunned when I got on the internet to find out how to contact the corporate office and saw all the posted complaints and that they had even been in trouble with the Attorney General's office. Dear God... I thought. People are out shopping and they trust the representatives working for the stores like Conn's and they get Conned. I guess Conns is appropriately named because they are nothing but "Conn-Men"!!

Their treatment of me has been extremely abusive and they need a class action suit filed against them by all of us.

The really sad thing is just like me - all of the rest of you - probably did not get on the internet or find this site until you had real problems with Conns. How do you stop this abuse by stores like Conns? How do you get to the unaware public - before they get "Conned by Conns?!!!

I am still fighting with them and will contact all media consumber protection agencies - and the attorney generals' office and file suit myself since I am a complex litigation paralegla if I have to - they are going to have some stress at a minimum from screwing me over!

Open for suggestions - will watch this site... CJ

• Gl
      23rd of Dec, 2010

This is the worst experience I have ever had with conn's since I have been dealing w/ them over the years. I had to come back 2 times to resign a contract. I filled the first contract out and I stated to them that I was going to pick up merchandise. In the mean time I was out of town on a Friday until that Monday. I got a call from Conn's stating my furniture would be delivered on that following Monday evening which was not a part of my purchase agreement. This agreement was made by my son w/out my permission w/sales person over the phone which by using common sense this was not allowed if the contract was dealing w/ me and no one else. That Monday I made arrangement to have my items picked up. I get the items to the designated place and found that they gave me the wrong pieces. I called them and they stated to me that I had to bring the pieces back at my convience because I did not use their delivery truck. My concern is if they were at fault for putting the wrong items on the truck then it should be their responsiblity to fix the problem. They are very disorganized at that store and I promise if a class action lawsuit is ever available I will be on the bandwagon. This place off Seigen Lane in Baton Rouge, Louisiana should be closed or get people who are knowledgeable in knowing what they are doing. Also, I never recevied stipulations stating that if we gave you the wrong furniture you are rresponsible for picking it up. Also there where is nothing in writing stating that Conn's in working with a third party as for as delivery.This is stated anywhere on anything I received from them. I WANT JUSTICE FOR THIS SITUATION AND HOPE THIS WILL NEVER AGAIN HAPPEN TO OTHER CONSUMERS>