Connection 2000, Inc / Scam

1 750 Moses Dr Suite 1Rahway, NJ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 732-874-4384

Two nights ago a gentleman by the name of James knocked on my door. When I answered he began to tell me that he was going door to door selling magazine subscriptions. He said he was working for a company called Connection 2000, Inc out of New Jersey & that he would earn points according to how many subscriptions he could sell (he also had a young lady with him that he said he was training). James went on to say that Connection 2000, Inc was a company that helped people like himself to get off the streets, teach them communication skills & get them prepared to be in the workforce. James was VERY personable & friendly. He told me that with the points he earned he would get money which he could donate to the charity of his choice; James told me that he would be donating to the VA Hospital. I really wanted to help James & felt that what he was telling me was a worthwhile cause. I did not have cash but James told me I could write him a check. I told James that I did not have the money in my account & that I would not be getting paid for another 3 days. James assured me that he would hold my check until Friday, no problem. I wrote the check for $40 which was for the magazine subscription & a $15 process & handling fee. Two additional times I stated to James that I did not have money to cover the check & he on both occasions assured me he would not deposit it until Friday. I soon discovered that he cashed the check IMMEDIATELY the very next day & I now have $70 is NSF fees. I got online & have found numerous complaints regarding this same company. Complaints like mine as well as ones stating no magazines were ever received; one lady even had bad checks written in other states by these people. The BBB gives this company a “F” rating. I have already closed my account & plan to file a formal complaint with the New Jersey BBB. BEWARE anyone who gets a knock on your door from CONNECTION 2000, INC.

Ab

Comments

• Tr
      13th of Nov, 2008
    Connection 2000 - Magazine Scam
    Connection 2000
    750 Moses Dr. Suite 1
    Rahway
    New Jersey
    Phone: 1-866-439-5451

A nice, young gentleman came to my door selling magazines on April 1, 2008. He gave me his sales pitch (sob story) about how he had been in trouble before and he was turning his life around. He was getting ready to be a brand new father and was trying to "make a living." I ended up purchasing a magazine and have never received it. I have talked to several people including a gentleman by the name Greg Smith when I have called the number on my receipt. I was told to mail a copy of my receipt and they would refun me. Well, this has been months ago and I haven't seen a refund check or my subsciption. I guess it really was an April Fool's joke! Do not buy anything from this company ever!

• J
      15th of Nov, 2008

We ordered Reader's Digest from the young man who came to our door and we ended up getting Maxim which is horrid.

• Le
      24th of Nov, 2008

I got the same sort of sales pitch in July of 2008, and paid for a subscription that still hasn't started.

Since this seems to be a common theme, I would think there may be enough people to initiate a class action lawsuit against this company, or if this is actual fraud, to initiate some kind of criminal proceedings. Just 500 people paying $50 per subscription is $25 thousand dollars, and a Google search returns many complaints about this company, so 500 is probably a very low number.

If anyone else is interested in taking legal action against this company please post a comment here.

• Mo
      26th of Mar, 2009

These same people came to my door about 4 months ago and I ordered about $30 worth of magazines and paid the $15 process and handling fee and have yet to receive my magazines. I just called the number to check the status on my order and the phone number has been disconnected. It looks like I have been scammed. Do not deal with these people.

• Mo
      26th of Mar, 2009

I just posted the previous comment and it wasn't there phone number that was disconnected it was their fax number. I have left a message at the number on the receipt and have yet to receive a return call.

• Tb
      17th of Apr, 2009

sounds like the same exact story...I have a personal number for these peole...someone else called them and they were hung up on, I am calling them too to let them know that their way of doing business is wrong. Their names are Allen and Barbara Bowen- number is 732-382-4944

• Tb
      17th of Apr, 2009

I couln't agree more, I was recently a victim of this company, and have never received my refund. I did file a complaint with the Trenton Better Business Buruea and they have received an F rating. I would love to pursue a criminal action against these people.

• He
      10th of Jun, 2009
    Connection 2000 - Magazine Scam
    Connection 2000
    Nashville
    Tennessee

Similar story to all complaints on this site...approached by a nice young black man. I happen to have his name. He dropped his ID in my yard and we discovered it a few days later. DEVON MARTIN from Washington DC. This was a year ago. June 7th, 2008.
    Wrote a check for $100. Never saw magazines. Contacted Karla at the office (732.874.4384) have talked with her at least 6 times but have called over 100 times. Been promised a refund 3 times since Feb...none yet.
    Good luck getting in touch with these people. They wont return calls. I still call 3 times a day with no response. If anyone gets anywhere with this PLEASE contact me. I don't want to let this go...
    I'm pissed.