Configure Express / Contract

1 New Zealand Review updated:

I signed a 12 months contract for gym memebership. After 12 months I expected to relapse and the direct debits to stop. The contract was meant to finish on the 16 of February, but to my surprize Configure Express still charged me.
When I called them they indicated a clause on the back of the contract which says I have to contact them in order to cease the contract and give them 30 days notice.
A contract is a responsibility on both sides and all thou I signed this contract and I agreed to all it's clauses, I expected to receive some kind of notice ( via e-mail or mail, the gym is collecting all this data) to ask me if I want to continue or not with this contract.
I will be greatful if something will be done to help people in my situation, I am sure I am not the only one.

Best regards
Francisca Pascariu

Comments

• Ni
      3rd of Jan, 2010

You arent the only one and that wasnt the first issue I had with them.

• Ho
      16th of Jun, 2010

Im really sorry that happened to you too they are so sneaky.

They dont seem like they genuinely "care" about clients. Also do not warn you about dodgy contract, where you must cancel (again in advance) after your contract has fininshed, even though you have specifically stated and signed when it is due to be finished on contract.
    its obvious money is a bigger priority than clients.
    Never reccomending them to anyoneone.

• Fi
      10th of Aug, 2010

Well said Francisca - exactly my sentiments. Agreed there is no responsibility from Adfit/Configure/Debitsuccess to ensure you are not ensnared into paying beyond the 12 month term (as I had signed for). I too expected my payments to finish on the completion of 12 months and was aghast when I looked up my original contract discovered that 2 months later payments were still being made. You are then stung for a further 30 days of payment beyond the termination of the contract. Another means of extracting money for no purpose other than greed and dishonesty. I am really angry and agree that some customer care should be applied by way of an email or letter to determine whether the minimum term of the contract is intended to be extended. I feel sickened by the fact I have been ripped off big time. Duped! And of course there is no customer goodwill extended on discovery that you are still paying beyond your "minimum term" by way of an offer to refund monies despite the fact the gym must have electronic records of no use of the gym. Do not sign up to Configure. Fiona.

• Fi
      22nd of Nov, 2011

Configure/ debitsucess are a joke. After the February 22nd EQS in Canterbury the gym closed, no direct debits were taken out as they could not provide the service contracted for. After the 24 months were up(before the gym reopened) we tried to cancel but were told 5 months were added to the contract and we had a new end date. Notice how the clause " this contract can not be suspended or put on hold" was ignored by them. We then were told that there was a "minimum amount to pay" over the term, again not specified in the contract, and the contract would be cancelled after it was paid. Basically denying us the right to cancel it as per the terms and conditions. The result? A formel complaint to the Commerce commision.

If you contract does NOT specify a minimum amount over the term and they try to get you to pay this is a possible breach of the Fair trading and consumer contracts act.

• Fa
      16th of May, 2012

I've had the same thing on a 6 month contract. There's no notice of the exact date the contract rolls over - I estimated it but it turns out (over) I was out by 1 week. I've paid 6 months exactly, to the $, and am now being told I can't just terminate at 6 months - I have to give 30 days notice and am being threatened with debt collectors if I don't pay up. Since when is a 6 month contract not a 6 month contract? I'm being told it's a "minimum" of 6 months. I'm extremely unhappy with this level of service. I now understand that it's rolling payments system but as far as I'm concerned I've done my best to notify them at the end of the 6 months that I want to terminate. !!! Frustrated. I won't be signing this sort of contract again.

• Si
      1st of Dec, 2013

totally agree... I was appalled to find out that I was still being charged 2months after my contract expired.. apparently they roll the contract over & you have to give them 30 days notice?? no followup calls from the gym either!! I agree that its all about money and not about clients.. Definitely not recommending them to anyone..

• 05
      22nd of Jan, 2014

you are just all dumb women who obviously DONT LISTEN and READ YOUR CONTRACTS properly. They DO tell you about their roll-over payment as i joint 3 years ago and still remember them telling me this to this day.
    i love it at configure and you are all pathetic women who are too lazy to go to a gym so you sit and complain at a computer because you know configure aren't sneaky and you just want to complain about them. i thank god you do not go to configure any more because if i heard you moaning i would want to slap you in your face.

• Ga
      26th of Jul, 2014

Dear Friends
    Must be careful while taking configure express gym membership.These people are very cunning.
    I am canceled my 12 month membership in between and paid money whatever was required.Ohh my god that was very bad experience with them never recommend it to any body.

• Ga
      26th of Jul, 2014

Configure express gym are full with clever, bad and nonsense people.These people are money minded & only concerned with money not with clients.NOT Recommended...
    Poor Customer Service There was Nidhi Lady in Queen street Auckland Branch such a stupid and [censored] lady.Never go back to them.
    They are not transparent.They never pay attention to their clients once you will pay money and sign their contract.
    They are big looser.

• Wo
      14th of Jan, 2015

Configure express gym very very bad espeically milford branch. I paid 12 months membership in full after 3 months colsed. I emaild so many times to refund my money but they dont care . so they just want money dont care how . in other word they steel my money or already they are cheating this is their real job

• Al
      20th of May, 2016

Greedy dishonest and worse gym ever. I paid for their 8 month deal but they closed one month after I joined. They said they will give refunds yet they sid not. Worse gym and Greg Peters the owner is a greedy ###. Becareful if they rebrand the gym under another name. Greedy ###. There is no law to protect custumors. May there business be cursed forever

• Ka
      4th of Dec, 2016

OMG!!!
    I WISH I had read this thread before giving Configure Express Newmarket $400 for a 12 month membership.
    They closed the gym on the 25th of October this year (I only found this out after turning up to work out one morning...) 3 months into my membership.
    I have been trying ever since to get a refund for the balance of my membership, and even went to their "head office" in person. Greg Peters assured me that my refund would be actioned and said refunds would be paid at the end of November... I'm still waiting, and after numerous emails (to which no one has responded) and calling a phone number that is now no longer valid, I'm pretty sure I will not see a cent.
    Such incredibly bad business practice and such incredibly negative Karma coming this man's way - that's the way the Universe works...
    DO NOT JOIN THIS GYM.

• Si
      7th of Dec, 2016

@KarmaWins I am in the same situation as you with the Newmarket gym. Should we all go to the Fair Go program?

• Mo
      9th of Jan, 2017

@KarmaWins Same thing happened to me with the Queen street location!! They closed down with zero notice to any of the clients. And I paid a lump sum TWO DAYS before they were closed down! Damn scammers they would have known when they took my money. We need to do something about this ladies!!!

• Mo
      9th of Jan, 2017

@silgus We should do something about this, they shouldn't be aloud to get away with what they are doing!

• Ju
      31st of Jan, 2017

@KarmaWins Do you have their current head office address?

• Tu
      9th of Feb, 2017

@moorem I just sent a report to the Commerce Commission about the Queen St gym. They closed down without notice and now the premises has been cleared out. I don't think they're reopening this month as they promised. Does anyone know what we can do at this stage?

• La
      15th of Jan, 2017

I have just joined the gym and am contracted to pay fortnightly. They do have signs at the front desk saying that they are "rebranding" but no one is giving any more info than that. Should I be concerned? I was under the impression that they are changing their name and possibly ownership and the new details will be under wraps until it is launched. Does this sound familiar to anyone else? Is it rebranding or shutting down?

• Pu
      11th of Feb, 2017

I was owed over $800 by Queen St branch, and had emailed several times last year. just Friday I sent the franchise owners and the configure director a letter stating I had reported them to the commerce commission and fair go. Not sure if my letter had arrived yet, but today I received an email saying they had refunded me in full. And sure enough I checked bank and there it was. There might be light at the end of the tunnel, don't give up.