Con Edison / deposit & harassment

1 New York, NY, United States Review updated:

I have a business account with coned and I am enrolled in direct payment plan. Payments are never late. Coned every month mails out harassing letters that they are shutting my service off. It has become a quite alarming knowing any day I can come in to work and our electric would be turn off for no reason. I called coned to inquire and tell them to cease from threatening and harassing me. I filed a small claims suit for $3500 for harassment and to get the deposit they basically extorted out of me back.

I received this months bill and there is a extra $65 adjustment with no explanation for it. I called coned to find out what the charge was for and I was told because they had to print and mail the disconnect notice for fees I never owed them. I asked the representative how can I get a letter explaining that he put me on hold and never came back. Coned I borderline criminals and and people are basiclly forced to utilize them. Even if you choose another company you still have to be under coned mighty criminal thumb.

Comments

• Ty
      15th of Jun, 2010

ConEdison is just like Bandit backed by the USA government.

• Ty
      15th of Jun, 2010

they charge and charge, nobody is stopping them, what a world!@@????

• Dj
      5th of Sep, 2010

how about the 30% price increase they passed in a few months ago. that is enough to cover inflation increases for the next 10-15 years... this despite the fact that we are in a deflationary environment. it is an absolute joke and there needs to be something done about it.

• Gg
      24th of Jun, 2011

conedison doesnt charge you to print and mail a disconnect notice...i would double check on that. that makes no sense

• Ya
      9th of Jun, 2015

Con edison has a policy to charge a deposit for customers who make a late payment. So if you make one late payment they tack on this deposit and refuse to remove it from your account. I don't care how careful you are sometimes life gets in the way and Con Ed doesn't care because the goal for them is to get that deposit added on to your account. The deposit amount is completely unreasonable and is usually triple the amount of your bill. I asked what was ConEd doing with the money and they said they hold it in a bank account to accrue interest. Huh? So you are stressing families that live check to check and barely make ends meet for them to pay this deposit so you [ConEd] could put the deposit in a bank to accrue interest? How do I, the consumer know if the pennies you are supposedly "crediting" back to my account is actually what my funds accrued? I mean think about it. If they are doing this to thousands of families that probably adds up to millions of dollars that are sitting in bank account "accruing interest". Seems like Con Ed found a way to generate millions in supplementary income in addition to already monopolizing electricity and gas in NY. While middle income families get screwed again!