Comwave / Charge on Credit Card without customer authorization

Vancouver, BC, Canada Review updated:

I was a Comwave customer for the last three years and recently renewed another three year period.
However, a few months after my renewal, my Comwave telephone line began not working properly in January 2012.
After 5 - 30 minutes of its use, the telephone always gets cut off in the middle of conversation and there is no dial tone afterward.
To activate the phone again, I had to plug out/in the cables every 5 - 30 minutes. In order to keep the telephone line active, I need to stay home and repeat plug out/in the cables every 5- 30 minutes (it is practically impossible to do so). Otherwise, telephone line stops working.

Since early February 2012, I had called Comwave technical support over ten times and even switched ISP from Telus to Shaw to make sure that the cause of problem is not on the ISP side.
Even in late March 2012, Comwave still could not resolve the technical problem. For the last three months, I was not able to receive incoming coming calls and could not make phone calls no more than 30 minutes.

In the meantime, Comwave kept charging monthly billing on my Credit Card and air time charge on my cell phone increased significantly because of long-distance calls to Comewave technical support in Toronto.
Finally, I decided to cancel a contract with Comewave as I really needed telephone service.

I called Comewave customer service and their supervisor and requested not to charge an early cancellation fee and give credits for the last three months periods I did not receive the telephone services.
However, Comwave's supervisor refused my requests. He said, "You signed a three year contract. So, we have to charge an early cancellation fee". I replied, "I signed a contract based on the promise that Comewave provides the service, but Comewave failed to provide the services described on the terms of the contract.
Nevertheless, not only no credit for these months was given but also the early cancellation fee was charged on my credit card without my authorization.

An early cancellation fee is to be charged when a customer wishes to terminate services without just reason.
In this case, it is apparent that the Comwave made two unethical business practice.
1. Charging an early cancellation fee without a customer's authorization.
2. Without providing telephone services, charging a customer fees for the services.

I believe two months period is more than enough time for Comewave to resolve the technical problem.
I had no choice but switch to other telephone company because no proper telephone line for these months caused significant inconvenience to my daily needs.
I talked with my colleagues, friends and social network sites, they were shocked with my experience with Comwave.

At the management level, customer satisfaction and good reputation are of prime importance, but at the customer service/sale level, they have a different goal, that is sales increase even at the expense of customer satisfaction, Comwave reputation, and even violating the contract law.

Comments

• Ze
      18th of May, 2012

I strongly agree that Com-wave is a total pain when someone is trying to escape from their hook.
    In my case even they recorded my conversation that I do not want to get into a 3 year contract they still shipped the device to try it for 6 month free. I returned the same day I received the device just after I spoke again with a customer service representative where to send and what else I owe to them (package was not even opened never mind trying the device)
    6 month later I receive a letter from collection agency that I have to pay for the shipping the device (from them to me) as I never give any credit card information for them to do any unauthorized payment.
    People BE AWARE before you get in any contract with these companies.

18th of Feb, 2013

Comwave has all the characteristics of a SCAM so it is a scam. First of all it uses a name that would lead anyone to believe that is a communication company when they state very clearly in their web posted Terms and Conditions they are not. They are a Marketing Company! This comes directly from http://www.comwave.net/legals/#

c) Comwave is not liable for:

(i) any disruption or unavailability of the Services;

(ii) any act or omission of any third party (including any other local telephone company, any connecting carrier or underlying carrier or other provider of connections, facilities, or Services);

(d) Comwave is a marketing company and does not provide actual telecom services. Comwave acts as an agent of various third party carriers and subscriber accounts are the property of the respective carrier. The employees or agents of other carriers are not and shall not be deemed to be agents or employees of Comwave. There is no express or implied warranty or condition, whether of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or otherwise, with respect to the Services. In subscribing for the Services, the Subscriber obtains no proprietary right or interest in, any particular facility, service, equipment, telephone number or code associated with the Services.

No wonder they do not offer any kind of warranties. They make money by charging outrageous penalty fees. I was asked to pay $150 to get access to the taping of my conversation where I accepted a 3 years contract when I did not. Just to discourage me to ask for. I never signed anything with them... The Terms and Conditions state very clearly:

3.10 Resolutions
    The Comwave customer service department is here to assist you and managers are on duty for escalations if you feel that your concerns have not been handled to your satisfaction. We also endeavor to record and archive phone calls for quality and training and in the event that you request a copy of any verbal agreements. Upon written request, we can provide you archived call recordings for dispute resolution. However in the event the dispute resolution is in Comwave's favor, a $25 fee per recording will apply.

Never subscribe to Comwave service even if it is free. They work by the following rule: Everyone is invited in for free, no one leaves unless they pay the price imposed by us under the threat of screwing your credit rating.

It is your choice to read the small print or not...