Computer Associates/CA Anti-Virus / Fraudulent Billing my Credit Card

I had an Anti-Virus software from CA Associates on a PC I owned 2 years ago. I kept receiving emails from CA Associates that they were going to automatically renew my license and charge my credit card. Each time, I emailed them back and said "No". Then I purchased a MAC Workbook and no longer needed anti-virus software. Two weeks ago I got an email from CA Associates that there was a problem with my credit card and they were unable to renew my license, which is fine with me because I didn't want it. Today, I received an email from them that they have charged my credit card 29.95 to renew my license! I can't figure out which credit card they used. I went to their website to try to get a refund and they require an Activation Code.. which, of course, I don't have since I got rid of the PC with the CA Software 2 years ago. They won't allow any of the forms on their website to be submitted without an Activation Number.

This company fraudulently charged my credit card for software that I have repeatedly told them I do not have and do not need. I am going to have to cancel my credit card to prevent them from continuing to charge me.

The software wasn't that good either. I got viruses on my PC while I was using it.

Te

Comments

• Do
      9th of May, 2009

I am going throught the exact same experience. This significantly reduces my trust on using my credit card on-line because I thought that I could trust CA. Their ploy is to make cancelling so difficult that you just allow the charge. Is there anything else we can do to stop this abuse of trust? The damage they are doing to the whole industry is terrible.

• Do
      9th of May, 2009

You can file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. It will take you much less time than it does to stop CA from taking your money and is much more satisfying. The website is FTCcomplaintassistant.gov

17th of Jul, 2009

I agree.

I live in Australia. I had a similar problem with CA AV in that they automatically billed my Master Card without my permission.

It took me a number of telephone calls over a period of about one week before I got any satisfaction from them. Their excuse was that they only did this as a "service" to their customers...NO THANKS!

Now I am having a different struggle with them in that they will not respond to either my 4 emails or 4 phone calls (despite the fact that they had allocated a job number to me and I have quoted that each time). This time the complaint refers to an Anti Virus update problem.

Unless this matter is resolved before my membership expires in October, rest assured, they do not want my business!

Regards Janos

• Mo
      8th of Dec, 2011

Hello, I am in a situation with CA as well. I have been charged 11 times on my credit card for $69.99. I called and tried to resolve it. I could barely understand the woman I was speaking to. She sounded like she was from India. I told her I did not want this renewal and would like her to cancel it and remove all the erroneous charges from my credit card. She sad she would. She didn't. I called my credit card directly and they said we will have to wait for the charges to post to my account and then they cab dispute them for me. CA acts like they have know way of verifying what they have charged to my account. That sounds wrong to me. It doesn't make sense to me. This has been a nightmare. I hope I can get it resolved.
    Heidi