CompuDirect Inc. / Fraud and ID theft

34675 Melinz Parkway Suite 105AEastlake, OH, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-800-854-9014

**Warning: CompuDirect (AKA, CompuRecovery, CDI Media) is a professional criminal organization, and a clearing house for stolen credit cards. If you don't want your identity and credit card information stolen and used, stay away from this company.

see:

They just stole $2, 000 direct from me (and stole my identity).
Here's my story: All the facts are 100% accurate.

I ordered a new custom computer from Compudirect via their web site (at the time I thought they were a legitimate company) on 8/25/2008 and was billed $1316 on my Mastercard debit card. I received a box from the company on 9/22/2008 that contained a computer case filled with used and salvaged parts that did not work. When I called to complain, the company issued an RMA and instructed me to ship it back to them (at my expense) for a full refund.

I shipped the box back, but never received any refund. Several days later (9/26), charges started showing up on my Mastercard debit card (a new card, Compudirect is the only company that had it, and the card has never left my apartment). By calling the merchants listed on my card statement, I traced the charges back to Compudirect -- they were using my credit card to purchase on-line gaming, web hosting, domain registration and other web subscriptions for themselves without my knowledge or permission.

I called my bank and cancelled the debit card, but they had already charged an additional $540 worth of purchases on the card as follows:

Stolen debit card charges (several small transactions not included):
- 09/29/08 ($415.60) for a subscription to online gaming at www.MyGameInn.com, user id: ruclevster@gmail.com and phone number [protected]. I checked the phone number, and big surprise -- it belongs to an employee at CompuDirect!

- 09/26/08 ($17.95) domain name registration using my name and credit card, but the gmail & phone of the CompuDirect employee above.

- 09/26/08 ($104.39) for a web hosting account renewal, previously listed under another name and credit card and changed to my name during the renewal process using my stolen card number.

Conclusion:
After spending about 80 hours investigating this and calling merchants, I'm starting to get a few refunds from some of the illegal purchases CompuDirect made using my stolen card. Most of the online vendors are helpful, and are serious about fighting fraud.

However, I'm still out the $1316 + $60 shipping for the computer, and my identity and credit card information have been compromised.

CompuDirect's site looked good -- so I didn't think about checking them out very carfully. Using CompuDirect was one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made. Steer clear of these criminals.
Da

Comments

Co
  6th of Nov, 2008
Complaint was immediately responded by the company management. Money refunded and the person responsible for this unfortunate situation was terminated.
Publically labeling the entire company as a criminal organization is at least unethical and definitely incorrect.

E-mail from our Law Office to Mr. Latner:

Mr. Latner:

Kindly respond to my original question: Have you taken (or
planning by the end of this week) any efforts to remove/correct your posts.

Further, please forward to me any and all evidence you have in
support of you allegations that" CompuDirect has been training B... Etc".
internet sites vital to e retailers are hurting Compudirect's business.

E-mail from Mr. Latner:

Yes, I'm working on updating it -- but these things take time.
Please be patient. Thanks.

E-mail from our Law Office:

Dear Mr. Latner:

Notwithstanding my client’s frustration (kindly read the following) I do believe that your update is a step in the right direction. I do hope, however, that you would be more forceful in your statement. As you are perfectly aware, Compudirect did refund your money for the purchase, fired the wrongdoer (I was informed that he actually went to the PD with his own counsel) and satisfied your every demand. To label them “Professional Criminal Organization” in light of their above stated actions is not proper.

Please recognize my e-mails a an effort to defuse this situation. I do need your cooperation ASAP. Please note that I have been asking for said cooperation in my previous e-mails directing your attention to your knowledge of the harm you are causing Compudirect.

Advise accordingly.
Ri
  29th of Jan, 2009
I purchased a laptop from CompuElectronics, on Dec 21, 2008, at an electronic liquidation sale.A compaq pressario, that was advertised as having a dual-core processor, 3 gb ram, and a 250 gb hard drive.After I got it home, I charged the battery for a day, per the salesmans instructions, and the next day, I opened the laptop, and checked the computers properties, and it showed a 175 gb hard drive, with only 122 gb of free space!!! NOT WHAT WAS ADVERTISED !!! the next day, I called CompuElectronics(aka CompuDirect)and told them the problem.A gentleman named ALEX told me flat out that the model laptop I had purchased, had a 250 gb hard drive.I contacted HP, and they told me, that the model laptop I had purchased, was only equipped with a 200 gb hard drive.Clearly false advertisement on CompuElectronics part, and they refused to give me an address, to return this item.Its been a month, and they still will not allow me to return this item.So, there is an ongoing dispute with my credit card company, and CompuElectronics.In my opinion, CompuElectronics/Compudirect are lowlife ### crooks, but they will face the music!!!
Ri
  29th of Jan, 2009
just an udate to my complaint:CompuElectronics just left a message on my answering machine, telling me that they will upgrade the hard drive to a 250 gb hard drive.Why would they do that, unless they admit they are guilty of false advertisement???
Cp
  2nd of Feb, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Even though this customer could not prove that he was sold a 200gb hard drive at the liquidation sale (which we asked him to provide his sales receipt), we in good faith offered to exchange his existing hard drive with a 250gb hard drive, but, he refused to send/fax us the copy of the original sales receipt or the hard drive back which he has had for over 30 days. His answer to the question "Why" would we exchange / upgrade his hard drive to a 250gb hard drive, because that is how good companies resolve situations to accomodate it's customers. That's why. I think our actions speak for themselves. If all possible, we would like to have this complaint removed as soon as possible.
St
  28th of Jul, 2010
richd860...why didnt you send them a copy of the receipt?
St
  28th of Jul, 2010
Dan,
I think that CompuDirect is right. I dont know what happened with your computer and what shape it was in when your received it but they did refund your money. Most companies actually only give your partial refunds with some companies who only issue store credits. So they do have great customer service. I know because I have ordered plenty of items from them before.

It not fair that your tarnish the company's reputation because one of their employees stole your credit information. Things like that will happen. Im not saying that it is acceptable, but its life. Credit card fraud has been on the rise. The good thing is that they fired the employee. And you could have pressed charges. Credit fraud is a felony.

Anyways I just think its rude that you wrote such a horrible review after the company worked so hard in order to satisfy you and make sure all your demands were met.

I have been a loyal customer to CompuDirect. They have been good to me and I will continue being good to them. So I was just a little disturbed by the review.

Stacy
Da
  6th of Apr, 2011
To correct the review from Stacy above -- please note that "Stacy" works for CompuDirect -- and also note that the employee that stole my credit card was not terminated; he still works there. Ask for Alex. Also, they didn't refund my money -- I have to fight with the credit card company to get it back -- and it took several months. CompuDirect didn't help with the process at all. Just wanted to set the record straight. -Dan