Compass Bank/Credit Cards / Credit Card Fees

United States, Alabama, Decatur Review updated:
Compass Bank
PO Box 2100
Phone: 800-239-5175
I had had a credit card with them for a few years and only used it for a balance transfer back at the beginning, which was paid off. I recently got an offer from them for balance transfer, and I wanted to use it. However, I used the wrong check that they had sent me, and when I got the statement I had $380 fee for using the check, $136.66 in finance charges for less than a month (on $9, 500) and $39 overlimit fee since their fees put my account over the limit. When I called them and realized my mistake, I asked to speak with a supervisor about lowering the rate since it was an honest mistake. In the meantime they offered me a much worse offer than the one I have in my hand, and charged me two $75 fees for this offer, even though I hadn't accepted it. All in all, this honest mistake cost me almost $700.

When I saw they weren't going to cooperate at all with me, I moved the $9, 500 to another bank and made an online payment to Compass of $555.66 which was all the initial fees they charged me. I have sent them their credit card and a letter explaining why I am closing my account and informing them I will NOT pay any more fees or finance charges they keep piling on. When they report me, I will send the explanation to the credit bureau.

My credit is excellent and I have any number of other offers I could have utilized. Rather than cooperate a little and keep my business, they would rather lie and cheat and take advantage of a good customer who made an honest mistake. I have reported them to the state attorney general in Alabama and in my state, and have reported them to the Federal Reserve. I plan to report them any and everywhere I find a website. BEWARE and do not bank with them in any way!

A  7th of Apr, 2011 by
Ohhh man. That sounds like BBVA Compass bank. They are masters of deception!!! Stay away from them. Worst bank ever!!

BBVA Compass Bancshares / Compass Bank Logo BBVA Compass Bancshares / Compass Bank
15 20th St. S Ste 1501