ComEd / disconnection of service

1 1237 Division streetchicago height, IL, United States Review updated:
Phone: meme34mlb@aol.com

In May of 2010, I filed for energy assistance through ILHEP because I had lost my job, and my ex husband did not pay the bills (I later found out)! I was approve for ILHEP and at that time they submitted payment. After several attempts on their part, ComEd rejected payment stating that there was a tampering charge that was billed in May of 2009! I had stated that no one tampered with the equipment, and that there had not been any interruption of service! They stated that if I paid the tampering charge, that they would accept ILHEP's payment due to my services was schedule for disconnect. I have three disabled children in which one is on a breathing machine. Instead of arguing about the tampering charge, I paid the amount that they charged ($234.35) on May 14, 2010! ILHEP then tried to submit payment again, and again ComEd rejected payment, this time stating that they would not accept outside agency help to pay off the bill and that I would have to come out of pocket. I had explain that I was not working, receiving only $350 a month in unemployment and was taking care of my children and did not have (at that time)$1345. I was told that I needed to make arrangements for my children until I can pay off the bill, and that the doctors statement was not valid. My services was still on at this time and I continued to receive a bill. I then contacted CUB, and they in turn had someone from ComEd send me a letter stating that they received my complaint and that they would contact me at their convince. After a week of not hearing from anyone, I called the phone number that was listed on the letter and asked to speak with the person that sent me the letter. I was told on several different occasions that this person was either in a meeting or on the phone. I had left several messages and never receive a phone call back. I had called CUb again to inform them of what was going on, and was told to "give it a little while" because there was a lot of complaints to get to. A few months had pass, and my services was still on, so I figured everything was taken care of until ComED came and disconnected my services on 11-11-10. At that time they stated that they was disconnected my service because of non payment and that I was stealing electric. I stated. That I had gone through this in May and I thought that everything was taken care of. I then called CUB back and they in turn had someone from ComEd call me. I later found out that it was the person who I had been previously been trying to contact after receiving the letter. She had stated that she was the director of public affairs and that I had not been trying to reach her because she is the only one that answers her phone and that she never got any messages from me. I stated to her that I had talked to a young lady who took my messages, but she continued to argue the fact of me not calling her and that she had been calling me when she only sent me a letter and no other contact with me was made. She then told me that in September, ComEd cancel my account and that I was no longer a customer and that in order for my services to be restored I would have to make full payment! I told her that I was not working and still receiving the same amount in unemployment! I told her that ILHEP was willing to pay but I needed something current from them, and that I had the doctors statement and she then told me that they was not going to render services until I paid the bill in full. I am trying to avoid having to take legal action because now the health of my children are at stake and we have no where to go and no other place to go to try and help with the bill which is now $1756. Is there anything else I can do?

Comments

• Av
      19th of Jul, 2011

I FEEL YOUR PAIN BECAUSE ME AN MY CHILDREN DONT HAVE LIGHTS.I HAVE TWO ACCOUNTS THAT COME OUT TO BE AT 1600.00 HINDRED DOLLARS.I TOLD THEM THAT I WILL PAY ONE ACCOUNT OFF THEN AND PAY ON THE OTHER ACCOUNT CAN I GET SERVICE.MY MONTHLY INCOME IS 1100.00 I HAVE TO PAY THIS HIGH RENT PLUS BILLS AND TAKE CARE OF CHILDREN MY CHILDREN FATHER IS DEAD.IS THERE ANYTHING THAT I CAN DO OR AN COMPANY THAT WE CAN GO TO HELP US. ME AND MYB CHILDREN HAVE BEEN IN THE DARK SINCE LAST 7/11/11.I AM BEGGING THAT COMED LET ME PUT TE LIGHTS ON . I HAVE AN COMPANY THAT IS WILLING TO HELP ME BUT COMED WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO PUT THE BALANCE ON TO THE ACCOUNT.THIS IS HARDTIMES MY KIDS CANT EAT A MEAL BECAUSE EVERY THING IS ELECTRIC. SO WHEN IT IS GETTING COLD OUT OUTSIDE WE WILL HAVE NO HEAT.