Comcast / customer service is god-awful!

This problem started months ago when a technician came out to replace a modem and told me that the signal coming into the house was a little low.

I'm not going to say anymore than that...for now.

On 8/6, my high-speed internet service was running at speeds near 1990's AOL dial-up, if i was lucky. I called customer service, and the technician on the line told me that my modem was showing a 20% packet loss. Anyone who knows t-com knows that is impossible to use. She checked her schedule, and told me the earliest that they could get a tech out was 8/13...an entire week later...and on a Sunday no less! She advised that i call the local office on Monday when they opened to see if they could escalate and move my appointment up. I called Monday and was told they had a cancellation and could come out on 8/11, which is a Friday. Better, but still not good. I work from a home office, which means my cable modem is my lifeline. To be out for a week wasn't good, but i took the new appointment anyway.

On 8/9, I called again to see if there were any more cancellations. The recording said my service call was still scheduled for 8/13. This is not good. I spoke to a supervisor who told me that the dispatch system shows me as down for 8/11, but the system the call center tech looked at showed it incorrect, and it was in fact scheduled for the 11th. Okay. Fine. At least I got the supervisor's name.

Today is the 11th. The rescheduled appointment was between 9am and 11am. It is now 2:30PM as I type this. I called at 10am to make sure he was coming, and was told he was. I called back at 11am and was told...can you guess?...that my appointment wasn't until Sunday, 8/13. I flipped at this point. I was told that there was nothing they could do except offer me a $20 credit because the call had been assigned to a technician.

Forget the fact that I was lied to by a supervisor. Forget the fact that that supervisor apparently doesn't exist, since no one knows who I'm talking about when I call now. Forget the fact that it's still been a week with service that makes me think dial-up is great. Before writing this, I have submitted a complaint to the Better Business Bureau, a complaint to the State Public Utilities Commission, and will be writing a letter to my township government urging them NOT to grant Comcast a renewal on their charter, since that expires this year. $20 and a credit for the downtime is unacceptable. How about the cost of the additional cell phone minutes I'm using, since my VoIP isn't working? How about the cost of gas I use driving to the nearest company office to work? $20 doesn't come close, folks. If you tell me you're coming at a certain time, be here. Don't lie about it because now you've got an angry customer with a podcast and a voice that will let people know this entire tale. When the supervisors are so incompetent that they have to lie to keep customers happy, then your company has a BIG problem that you NEED to deal with.

I actually work for a company that is in direct competition with Verizon, but their DSL service is looking better and better every day this event goes on. Oh, I also was sucked into their DVR service. The first box wouldn't record. The second box recorded, but go so hot that it melted the molding on my tv stand. The 3rd box also gets hot, but I've since installed a ventilation fan to keep it from doing more damage.

And if I hear "I'm sorry for your inconvenience, sir" one more time, I'm going to go postal on someone. Be sorry all you want, doesn't change the fact that your customer service is god-awful on a good day.

Va

Comments

• Va
      12th of Feb, 2007

I live in Annapolis, MD and the city repeatedly renews contracts with only Comcast for cable service. So, I've had Comcast for about 15 years and have lived thru their growing pains.

I have my internet service w/AOL & phone with Verizon & have been happy. One year, AOL offered me a package deal w/Verizon for broadband service. The service was scheduled, modem received & I installed it myself following their directions. Everything went smoothly & only once in 18 months did I need to call Verizon Help for a disconnection. I was on the phone for an hour & the box was re-set remotely.
    So, one day, I find a deal in my cable bill for the triple play for current Comcast Digital customers & a rate increase chart starting in March 2007. Trying to pick the fat out of my bill, I find a monthly charge of $1.25 for 'lite digital'-so I call. 'Course I call on a Saturday so it's a 20 minute wait. The little girl that answered helpfully found out what the charge was, after she found someone to explain it to her. She didn't know why it was there anymore because it was a charge from a while ago-I've always had a 4 movie package & they sell 1,3 & 5 movie packages. She told me she would credit $25 for the last 24 months. How nice, I thought, especially since I'm at fault for not perusing the bill all these years! She sells me on the Triple Play package which is to include a new digital box & remote & this box will include a DVR & service. She also says I can get 2 FREE DVR/digital boxes for other t.v.s. I take one, because I want my daughter to move out someday. The Triple Play also includes digital voice (I can keep my phone #) & cable internet hookup. She tells me it takes 5 days to give Verizon notice to give up my phone # & I'm please that I can have an appointment the next Saturday.

This process involved being put on 'hold' alot & I had the feeling someone was behind her guiding her through it. They 'verify' info constantly so that even you can't remember how to spell your name anymore. It took 90 minutes & I realized I needed to buy new batteries for my cordless. That night, I try to watch a movie channel & it tells me I need a subscription. I check the others, same thing. I call the local # & after 45 min of 'holds' & transfers, they can't return the movie status w/o cancelling my Triple Play order. If they do that, I'll have to wait another 5 days for Verizon to release the #. I leave the order as is & accept an apology & a movie credit.

I placed the order 2/3/07 for installation on 2/10/07.

Tues-There's a msg that the install needs to be re-scheduled because Verizon can't 'release' the phone# yet. It tells me to call 1-800-comcast. I call @ 7pm & am on hold for 30 minutes, transferred twice & both CSRs tell me I'm on track for the 10th.

Fri-There's a msg that Verizon didn't release the # & the phone #to call back is so faint & quick- I dial someone else in the country. So, instead I dial the local cable # & the recording recognizes me, telling me I have an appt 3/1/07 & would I like to cancel? Back to 1-800 # again with a 45 min wait. I get thru to Maurice x 7793. He sees the notes 'Verizon' has left & thinks the # can't be released because the 1st name is different on the phone acct. He starts to re-schedule for the 13th but then sees a note that Verizon wants it scheduled 7 business days after President's day. That day is the 19th, not the 12th. Anyway, it's scheduled for 2/24 & he promises no more delays & gives me his ext. Like they all don't share the extensions? I gripe to him about being w/o my movie package for 2 more weeks. He says he doesn't know why it's not working 'cos he can see the pkg on the account & transfers me to that 'dept'. I'm disconnected.
    Today, on a whim, I call the local cable # & the recording recognizes my # & says I have an appt for 'Feb 44th'.

I'm tempted to use the 'cancel' option but I'll have to deal w/the 'Pollyanna's in my family. I'm figuring I'll save $30 monthly if I bundle but I think another lesson is coming...

• Db
      19th of Feb, 2007

There are no words to explain how terrible Comcast's service is. Noone in there customer service department knows what there doing. Everytime i call in, i get a different answer. I have spoken to three different supervisors and the problem is still not fixed. I can understand to a point customer service not having all the answers, but when you speak with a supervisor and they say they will take care of it and get back to you, but never do, that gets a bit frustrating to say the least. I guess its time to switch companies...

• De
      1st of Mar, 2007

Comcast is by far one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. After canceling their service in Sept 06 because I was moving out of Fl. they asked me to return their equipment and gave me an address quite some distance from me. Though pressed for time I went to the address only to find they had moved. After returning home and calling Comcast without apology I was given a second address. At that point I informed them that I did not have the additional time to make a second trip and that they would have to pick up their equipment. Their trucks were in my neighborhood weekly. They chose to ignore the situation and continue to bill me monthly. After numerous phone calls and email messages have fallen on deaf ears my account has been turned over to collection for money I don't owe. Finally to add insult to injury they have without notice closed my email account in what I see as spiteful and vindictive on their part. This petty move on their part accomplishes nothing. Needless to say I will never deal with Comcast again.

• Lo
      1st of Mar, 2011

I have been a comcast member for many years and am pretty saisfied with the service. My complaint is all the cooking shows on TV now. I used to love watching channel 78 for the movies and now they are gone. I've seen enough cooking shows so please return some of the movies. Last night I counted 7 cooking shows on. ENOUGH.