Colorado Springs Police Dept. / wreckless endangerment

1 Colorado Springs, CO, US Review updated:
Phone: 719-360-0124

I was involved in an auto accident on feb.20, 2009 in colo.sprgs., colo.I was rearended and sufered a broken vertabrete in my neck.(I was at no fault in the accident)The paramedics were at the scene within five minutes.There was unopened bottles of alcohol in the rear of my 2002 jeep cherokee that were shattered.When officers arrived I was immediately suspected of DUI which I understood. While paramedics were evaluating my overall health they discovered my blood pressure was at an "extremely dangerous" level.190/120-130?)They told the officer it would be "extremely dangerous" for me to perform a roadside test at that time and suggested the officer wait at least 20 minutes before doing so.Against the advice of 3-4 paramedics, the officer stated he would take "full responsibility" for any cardiac arrest or stroke I may suffer.Due to the injuries and minor trauma I suffered in the accident I failed the roadside test and was arrested on suspicion of DUI.Before I was handcuffed and arrested the officer was verbally reprimanded for putting me at such a high risk.

Comments

• Ve
      Aug 14, 2009

So the paramedics wanted to have the officer wait 20 minutes because of your blood preasure. Yet they had no problem with the broken vertebrae in your neck?

But if what you are saying is 100% true not only would the officer be in trouble, but any other officer that was present as well as the paramedics.

By the way when did a broken neck become "minor" trauma.

• Xe
      Aug 16, 2009

I don't really get this story ... if there was suspected injury they would've taken you to the hospital immediately. If you were suspected of a DUI I'm sure they could've just succumbed you to a blood test and had your BAC calculated that way, I don't see any reason for them to wait to take a roadside test after you were just in an accident and may have sustained injury. I'm just not believing this story.

• Wi
      Aug 28, 2009

Just another victim - blaming the police. I am so tired of hearing everyone complain when they get caught doing something wrong. Somethings never change, children learn to lie when they get caught- and it just holds over into adulthood.
    Take responsibility and quit blaming law enforcement for doing their job.