Collins Contracting LLC / Front desk associate/admin

1 Orlando, FL, United States Review updated:

I received an email after I sent my resume to a Craigslist.com ad. This is the email I received.

Office Position (was: Front Desk Associate position)
Tuesday, August 4, 2009 8:25 PM
From:
"Karen Hughes" <karen@collinscontracting.com>
View contact details
To:
"Paul FitzPatrick" <pfitzpatrickbsw@yahoo.com>
Thanks for your interest in our office position. Just to restate the job duties for clarity, you will be answering the phone, scheduling meetings, and running company errands in a company car. When running errands you will be provided with a company credit card to make supply purchases, etc.

We have had some bad experiences with prior employees taking advantage of having access to a company credit card in the past, so before we can schedule an interview, we need you to get a credit check. We prefer you use http://www.nationalcreditchecker.com to obtain this information. When you submit your information they will send you your credit score. When you email me your credit score, we can schedule an interview. Please do not email me your credit report, as this may have private information in it. Just send me your credit score. If you have a low credit score, that will not prevent you from having an interview with us, as we just need to make sure you are an honest individual.

Please send me your schedule with availability. I am looking forward to your response, thanks.

Karen Hughes
HR Manager
Karen@collinscontracting.com
www.collinscontracting.com

I have seen many more complaints about this same company. Some of the emails have the same Name or the HR Rep. Some have a name close to my "representative" that sent me this email. If you ever are searching for jobs online. Check out the website online always do a google search to see if the company is legitimate. Ask the company if you can speak to them on the phone. These SCAMMERS are not looking to talk to someone on the phone. They are looking for the SUCKERS out there that are desperate for a job and will do anything to make some money. A lot of times those desperate people will do whatever they ask to get an "interview".

I have to admit. I almost got scammed by this one. If they ask you to do a credit check and only ask for your "credit score", it is likely they are trying to scam you because you have to have a membership and pay extra to receive the "credit score" from the credit report websites.

If you ever want a truly free credit report. Go to www.annualcreditreport.com. It is the official free credit report website in the US. You can get one free credit report from three different companies each year.

Happy job searching. God Bless!

Comments

• T2
      5th of Aug, 2009

I also just sent my resume to them and I just got back the same e-mail but it was from a Sarah@collinscontracting.com. Please look out for this company.

• Bd
      5th of Aug, 2009

Thank you! They have made their way to Savannah, GA with pretty much the same message.

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Karen Hughes wrote:

Karen Hughes
    HR Manager
    Karen@collinscontracting.com
    www.collinscontracting.com

Any suggestions how we stop this? I have never in all my 30 years had a company request this information. Lucky for me, I know better to do some research before responding. Craiglists seems to have no control of these hackers.

5th of Aug, 2009

I received the exact same email, so glad I found this complaint! I had attempted to locate this company on the internet but hadn't been successful and became suspicious. Man I'm so glad previous complaints had been posted.

• Mo
      5th of Aug, 2009

I got this same message from Karen Hughes, I e-mailed her back and told her I already have my credit report and score that I got off of freecreditreport.com and that I could fax her a copy of the page with just my score on it, or I could bring the report to the interview with me, and she could see the score for herself in person.
    And I did not get a response, so I e-mailed her again just now, and I was looking on the internet to find out about this company, and I came across this board! Also I found a K B collins contracting LLC webiste, that is located in Virginia, and this website looks like a legitimate website, and they look like a real small construction contracting company, with a phone number and a guy to e-mail and it is not karen@collinscontracting it is something different. So I am going to contact this company with the same exact name KB collins contracting, and I am going to let them know someone is out there using there company name to run scams, and I will give him "Karens" e-mail address, and maybe they can contact someone about it and get to the bottom of it, because "Karens" link to the "website" does not work, I have been doing some research, and this company in Virginia is the only other company with the same exact name. So maybe there really is a business in Virginia, and they are running this scam behind the scenes to make some money, and run the credit report website that "Karen" says she prefers you to use to get the score, and they weren't making any money doing it, so they decided to post fake jobs with there real company name and tell people they needed this information so they would go to there credit report website and pay money to get the score to get an "interview" with there company. So they are probably making quite a bit of money, but I am going to try and find how to report them to authorities, or someone, does anyone know where I can go to report them, and get them in trouble and shut down for this? I do not know if the 2 companies are even affiliated at all, the scammers could change the name of there "company" all the time, and they just make up companies, or they randomly pick them off the internet, ones that they think no one would have heard of, or far away from the person they are scammings state. I am in Michigan, and I never heard of Collins Contracting, so maybe that is what they do. It makes me sick, in times like this, people are preying on people who need jobs to survive in this world, and they promise $18 an hour to start with pay increases, bonuses, a company car to use at work, and great benefits that the company partially pays for! That sounds great, I have a small child, a house, a car, and no job! I was laid off, so is my husband, and our unemployment is about to run out, and we dont know what we are going to do because we cannot find work, and Michigan has the highest unemployment rate right now, and it is only getting worse, you know it is bad when you go to the grocery store on a Monday around 10 am and there is traffic on the roads, and there are long lines in the store, and no parking spots! No one is working, so they are all out trying to find jobs, or scrape together some groceries with the little bit of money they borrowed from family, or they are getting from unemployment! It is so sad! And for these ###s to promise this good job to someone like me in this situation, and then I get a response, and I was so excited, and then I had a bad feeling, so now I am out to get to the bottom of it!
    Please let me know where I can report these awful people. BEWARE OF KAREN HUGHES AND COLLINS CONTRACTING!!!

• Ha
      5th of Aug, 2009

Yes, I also received the exact same email, verbatim. I have been looking for jobs in various states and I used the website they list at the bottom of the email to see where they are located, and it says website cannot be found, which immediately threw up a "red flag" to me. Then I googled the company name and found this complaint board. Yes, thank you all for your above information. Just another good reminder that if a company is legit, they will pay for any back ground investigations and / or credit checks they may need for their job applicants.

5th of Aug, 2009

I as well received the same email... via craigslist job search, but when I searched the company I found this complaint site first, so I’m glad this is here... I just hope others are as wise as us to look before you leap.. (sadly they probably are not) these people posting this stuff are bottom feeders, praying on the needy.. shame on them!

• Ic
      5th of Aug, 2009

Thanks so much for this guys, I got their email yesterday by Karen@collinscontracting.com, they are here in Southern Cali as well as all across the country. Seriously watch out for these jerks, they going to do anything they can to get a sucker. It's a shame I was really excited. I hope you all find good legit postings online! :]

• Sc
      5th of Aug, 2009

Thank you so much for posting this complaint. I got the same exact email that said the same exact thing. I'm glad I found this first. My email was from:

• Mz
      5th of Aug, 2009

Just got the exact same email from Sarah Collins... I'm so happy you guys are posting here. I knew it couldn't be legit. I think I'll go to craigslist and post a warning about these scammers.

Thanks Again!

• Op
      5th of Aug, 2009

It appears that the original company with that name--KB Collins Contracting LLC-.has gone out of business and these scammers grabbed the name to try to appear legitimate. It's a rather dispicable thing to do because so many contractors have had to close because of the economy--not fraudulent practices.

I hope that Ms. Sarah Baker who is running this scam can be caught and prosecuted for her role in this fraud.

I take it personally when people use the name COLLINS for illicit purposes.

• To
      6th of Aug, 2009

I got the same email from Sarah Baker. I always look up companies because this day in age you have to check to make sure your not being scammed. Thanks Everybody!

• Te
      7th of Aug, 2009
    Collins Contracting LLC - Fraudulant Job posting on Craigslist
    Collins Contracting LLC
    Fresno/Madera
    California

I to applied for a job with this company where they asked to go to a certain website to obtain a credit score. There is no such company except in VA the website they offer is not hyper-linked to go anywhere, when you try to apply it. This is a serious fraud please be ware I wish I would have known this info prior to applying and blasting information about my self out there. To all who read this please be ware. Happy job hunting and be care full. Following is a copy of the E-mail I received.

Not to mention there is no greeting this is obviously a generated regular statement they use.

We have had some bad experiences in the past, so before we can schedule an interview, we need you to get a credit check. We prefer you use http://www.nationalcreditchecker.com to obtain this information. When you submit your information they will send you your credit score. When you email me your credit score, we can schedule an interview. Please do not email me your credit report, as this may have private information in it. Just send me your credit score. If you have a low credit score, that will not prevent you from having an interview with us, as we just need to make sure you are an honest individual.

• Pa
      7th of Aug, 2009

same thing happening in Charlotte NC. I followed up with a fraud report on Craigslist. Maybe they can get this off of their site for good.

here is what they sent me:

• Ra
      9th of Aug, 2009

I too just applied for this job, and when I tried to search it I came up with the same information. The website link does not go anywhere. I got the same email also. I sent my resume to them when applying to the job, and was just wondering if anything happened to anyone else, or If they are just using the credit score information?

• Is
      10th of Aug, 2009

Thank you guys. I just received the same email and I also looked for the website they listed on the email. When I google the company I came across this information. I am so glad that someone took the time to post this. I hope these people get caught. There are alot of people out there that do not have a job let alone the money to waste on a credit report. Thank you again for this information you saved me time and money which at this time I do not have...

• Re

They are also hitting the Craig's List in Reno, NV

• Di
      10th of Aug, 2009

I received the same email from Sarah Baker! I really can't believe this!!! This is such an awful scam, I'm glad I found this page as well. I know once I googled the website nothing came of it...thinking maybe a misspelling or something but I guess I was wrong.

• He
      10th of Aug, 2009

I am from New Orleans and submitted my resume for employment and this is the email I received in response to my resume. I think it is pretty sad when they are trying to hit on someone down and out looking for a job. PRETTY SAD!!!

• Sw
      10th of Aug, 2009

Subject: Office Position (was: PostingID: 1303625838) via Michigan, Craig's list

Received the same email for job listed above from Sarah Baker, and as I was investigating the Collins website, I thankfully, came across this one.

Craig's list needs to have stricter controls and tighter security otherwise they will get a bad reputation and people will not use their service. This should be turned in to the BBB.

• Ep
      10th of Aug, 2009

My wife just got the same sort of response to a listing in California.