Collectibles Today / Unauthorized charges

I ordered 3 different sets of ornaments for 3 of my children who live out of state for Christmas and paid with my credit card on the Collectibles Today Website.

I am very wary when ordering online and was careful NOT to click on any boxes that would automatically subscribe me to a series of ornaments. The very next day I received an email thanking me for my subscription and that the series would be shipped monthly. I immediately responded and said not to charge my card or ship any further ornaments.

In January I had new charges from Collectibles Today on my card. When I contacted Collectibles Today via phone and email they said I had accidentally subscribed to a series and they would cancel the request. My response from them through email stated that the ornaments had already been shipped and that they needed to be returned and that the return card inside the box needed to be filled out to avoid postage. The customer service representative who sends out the same scripted BS line to everyone it seems, said to allow 30 to 45 days for the return and another 10 days to credit my account.

I responded again stating that I would need to contact my children and have them return the items and that waiting almost 2 months to have the charges reversed was unacceptable.

The next letter from customer service Rebecca Jones said the order form clearly states that the ornaments are part of a series. Obviously they have ignored my repeated requests to cancel any subscription plan that I DID NOT sign up for in the first place and to quit charging my card.

Who wants Christmas Ornaments every month any way? Be careful, I don't recommend you let the pretty pictures fool you.

Pa

Comments

Mi
  25th of Feb, 2009

I 100% agree, the very same thing happened to my wife and I and were still fighting with them to get our money back. This company is a major rip-off!!!

Mike in Oceanside, CA

An
  2nd of Mar, 2009

I agree. I ordered two thomas kinkade nativity garlands. Nothing on the web site when I ordered said anything about a "subsciption plan". Turns out, the nice gift I ordered is being delivered in pieces...and each piece is costing me the same price as what I expected for the entire thing!!! What a rip-off! I don't know how they get away with this. Never did I sign up for any kind of subscription. I don't know how that get away with this scam. I do not recommend. Be very careful if you are considering ordering.

Ar
  31st of Mar, 2010

Me too. I tried to go through the Better Business Bureau to resolve the issue, but the BBB marked the issue as resolved after the company refused to change the wording on the web site and offered that I only pay for 1/2 of the fraudulent charges.

Ph
  19th of Jun, 2010

Two weeks before father's day, I ordered a Star Trek wristwatch and it clearly stated "GUARANTEED FATHER'S DAY DELIVERY" on the page, then on my order. I called 5 days before and a woman told me it was slated to ship on June 27th (father's day being june 20th)! She said she would speed it up, then on the 18th I called and a gentelman told me they were not even in stock. 4-6 weeks. I cancelled the order, went on Amazon and found an even nicer watch with discounted next day delivery and got it the 19th. If you say you can do it, DO IT!!! Amazon does.

Collectibles Today is the worst. Order something from them if you want it in 6 months!

Di
  25th of Jun, 2010

I, too, have been going through "collectibles-today hell". The only thing that is collected today is your money. The long wait, the out of stock product, the auto-subscription are all far too familiar. I am now waiting for the never-appearing refund.

The Better Business Bureau of Chicago has had nearly 300 complaints in the last 3 years, yet somehow they continue to give these crooks an A Rating.

In my case, I was actually able to get written shipping documentation after the fact, proving that they shipped merchandise to me after I had ordered them to cancel it. In addition, they charged my credit card before they shipped the product. That made for both a lie and a crime. I have contacted the Illinois Attorney General Consumer Protection Division, who have been very helpful, as well as the AG of my state and the Fraud Division of my bank.

The only way to stop crooks like these is through legal channels.

BTW, I am fairly certain that Rebecca Jones does not exist. Each of the letters she sends me is marked by RJ/mw or RJ/ny or some other set of initials that I suspect belong to the genuine author of the letter.