Collect America / Violations of FDCPA

1 United States

These guys are unscrupulous. They make false statements and broad assumptions that every person in debt is uneducated. Supposedly, they mailed out a form letter to me on October 20, 2008, which I never received. I received a letter today (March 9, 2009), stating that since I had ignored the first letter, they might have to take action against me. When I spoke to one of the agents regarding a letter I had received, I asked him where the first letter was. He stated that there is a "presumption in the law" that if a letter is mailed out and not returned, it has been received. It was only after I pried a little further that he admitted that the letter was sent to an address that I haven't lived at since 2003 and that is not even in the same state where I currently reside. I called him on it, stating that if they mailed the letter to the incorrect address, then there is a "presumption in the law" that the letter was not received and he actually admitted that I "got him". I wish there was a way to get rid of these guys! I am just going to keep recording their conversations (since they record mine) and keep them tied up with red tape. I have been contacted by three of the "franchises" and not once have I received a validation of debt letter.