COBY / Bought new DVD Recorder and sent it during warranty period but did not receive a replacement

I bought new COBY DVD Recorder off the Internet. The unit did not eject. I called COBY Electronics and the representative told me to send a certified check or a money order for $42. I put the money order in an envelope and taped it to the DVD Recorder Box and mailed it in in 09/20/06 to :

COBY Electronics
56-65 Rust Str. Maspeth, NY 11378

The Delivery Confirmation number is [protected]. I have insured mail receipt number VG [protected] US.

The package was delivered on 09/22/06. However, I did not receive anything. I called to inquire, the representative said that because the DVD Recorder is in the Warranty Period, they need only $6, and a copy of the invoice. I told him to take out the $6 from my money order and refund the rest of the money. I went on and sent a copy of the eBay purchase order. Time past and I never received anything. I called again. The representative (Richard) told me that they can't find my certified check and in order to get the new DVD Recorder, I have to send $6 Money order to their address. He mentioned that there is no need for the invoice because I told him that I can't see the item anymore in eBay due to the long time that passed. So, he wived this requirement and told me that they will send me the new unit once they receive the $6 money order. I mailed them the $6 money order on 12/29/06. However, I never received anything. I called them. They said that they did not receive my money order. Luckily, I kept the tracking number of my letter and the money order number. The tracking number is [protected].

The Money order number is [protected].

I called them again. The representative told me that he will send an email to his manager. He said that they will need another $12 to ship the unit. At this point, I told him that I'll not send any money and they have to find both the $42 certified check and the $6 money order and call me back. I never received anything, not even a telephone call. This is a clear Fraud Case - BEWARE!

A  30th of Mar, 2007 by
I am an old retiree I have the similar experience with a representative of Coby Electronics called Mike Hardial. I received a Coby Home Theater system from my company in recognition for a milestone in respect of a historic achievement my employer purchased in bulk a number of the equipments and gave them to its employees. Mine had a defective DVD Drive I contacted Coby Electronics and Mike Hardial invited me to send my Home Theater system to replace a DVD drive I have sent the equipment via Fedex International. Initially he was denying receiving the equipment but luckily I had saved the tracking information which showed that it was received at Coby Electronics. He eventually acknowledged the receipt of the equipment and asked me to send $US.6.00 for shipping. I hve sent it via a registered letter and he denied receiving the letter. I have resent the letter via Fedex International. The tracking information has confirmed that it was received by Coby Electronics. Since then I cannot hear any thing about my equipment. I have written several letters to Coby Electronics but they simply do not reply to me. It doesn't seemed as if Coby Electronics is interested in solving the problem. Coby Electronics seemed to have that kind of unsuitable reputation .
A  11th of Jul, 2008 by
I have received 4 replacement DVD players they all continue to malfunction for the SAME REASON
N  24th of Feb, 2009 by

COBY - MP4 Player Defective

I bought a Coby Mp4 player from Coby company and I have tried for almost two months to have this item replaced because when I received it I was able to download music to the player but I can't turn it on. I have called the company for several weeks and I have not been able to talk with any agents. I emailed the company and the only response that I got was an email stating what is the problem. I have sent an email on several occassions trying to get someone to assist me but no one has tried to contact me back. Don't do business with this company because if you need to repair a product that is still under warranty then they don't want to have anything to do with you. I have just lost money and I have a child who does not have a present due to a company who enjoys taking peoples money.
N  24th of Feb, 2009 by
I have a Coby mp3 and I couldn't figure out how to turn it on either. Have you tried holding the button until the green light comes on? At this point you should then be able to press the on button again and if the light starts blinking it will start playing. If the green light is steady, it is paused.
Hope this helps, good luck
N  18th of Mar, 2009 by
i got the shaft buy this company too . i sent them an email about how to go about getting a dc wall adapter .they responded the very same day asking to send a 6 dollar money order, which i did . after waiting 7 days i emailed them to see what was the statuse on the order and they never responded ( jerks ) yes they are aout to get your money . its a shame they are doing this . i bet there are many more cases . i found this after googlein the guys name that got to me . its mike hardial
N  18th of Jul, 2009 by

COBY - Terrible company

I purchased a Coby TF TV1524. After one hour, I was fed up with the remote. It only works 4' or closer, has to be pointed DIRECTLY to the reciever, or nothing will happen. Coby will not release it's remote codes so I could try a universal remote. I had one of the first remote controls a Zenith Space Command in the late 50's early 60's and it worked better than this one.

Two weeks later the cable connection came apart and after speaking with Coby, it is not worth the repair cost. This I assumed would be under warranty, however they told me I pulled on it too hard. I picked it up four inches to dust around it.

Needless to say, Coby is on my S***list.
N  6th of Jan, 2011 by

COBY - Never buy from them

Received one of their digital picture frames for Christmas. Have been trying ever since to ask a question. I email and they say contact their 800 number. I call 800 number and am told the wait time would be 44 minutes. Website gives no information about this model number. I am taking it back. Will never buy from this company again and told all my Facebook friends about the problem. The manual was no help either.
N  14th of May, 2013 by
Just putting a comment in that I followed Mike's instructions per the email he sent me for the repair / replacement of a tablet due to a cracked screen - out of warranty. I sent the unit and a postal order for $45 as directed and in 4 weeks, he sent me a brand new tablet that was way better than my old one. I was completely satisfied. Not saying that the other things didn't happen, but wanted to make it known that sometimes the Coby support comes through.
N  17th of Jun, 2013 by

COBY - I will not buy your brand.
1991 Marcus Ave., Lake Success, NY 11042
Phone: 718-416-3300

Our Coby tv doesn't turn on. The nice blue light in the front stays on but no picture or sound. We can't afford to buy a new one or get this one fixed till probably next year. Thanks Coby, next time I will not buy your brand.
A  13th of Sep, 2013 by
Hi my name is Davina Sawyer,
My best friend bought me a coby KYROS ice cream sandwich android tablet MID7033-4 for mothers day about a year and a half ago.
I sent it in to coby for a cracked screen repair about 5 months ago. And now to this day I still haven't gottin it back yet. I sent a $45. dollar money order with it like I was told too. Now I cant even get ahold of anyone at all to find out what's going on with my item. I have called all of the phone numbers online for coby. And I have even emailed coby several times. I still haven't got any response back ether way. If the company has gone out of business then they need to let their customers know. And coby needs to take their website down...