Cobra Insurance / Change Rate

I am writing with a complaint against Cobra Insurance. My husband was recently laid off I had been on the phone with Cobar a few times. I was told that I would receive a packet in mail with the ammount needed to be paid for single coverage and wthat would be the ammount needed to be paid. I sent this ammount in had been calling them all week because I needed my coverage for medical and precriptition needs the reps were very rude. Laren C and Steven. They said I owed 13.89 bbefore I could be covered for something that took place back in Janurary which I did not know anything about. My husbands coverage did not run out untill the end of Feburary. I was not sent any information about a change and sent in what was on the letter. I can't be held responsible because Cobra reps dont do their job. They are telling me that I can't be covered untill this is paid. They won't take phone payment and they wont give me coverage and bill me for 13.89.
Their only advise and quick to want to do is cancell my coverage that sounds like reps who does not want a job.

Mrs Brown

More Cobra Insurance Complaints & Reviews

Plus Cobra Insurance - Cobra Coverage and premiums [2]

A  12th of May, 2009 by
I have been without health insurance since March 1st, 2009 and towards the middle of March, I received the COBRA Coverage Continuation Premium Summary from Wage Works showing very high premiums and without an explanation or forms for the Federal subsidy eligibility of 65%. Finally, by the middle of April, I received a form “REQUEST FOR TREATMENT AS AN ASSISTANCE ELIGIBLE INDIVIDUAL” which I sent immediately, and in my case, I am eligible for the 65% premium reduction.

On May 11, I received from Wage Works the coupons for paying the monthly premiums, which do not reflect the premium reduction, and the coupons start on March 1st, being now the middle of May.

After a phone conversation with Wage Works on May 12, I was told that in order to get insurance I had to pay for now full premium starting on March 1st, or paying premiums for 3 months, which already elapsed. In my opinion this is plain fraud and a scam from the COBRA system.
A  13th of May, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I have been trying to secure the continuation of the Cobra insurance since I had another opportunity to sign up with the premiums being 65% covered by the stimulus package. My part would have been $350.22 according to Cobra. The problem is that they are trying to get me to pay retro-active back to March 1st which totals $1050.66 for March, April and May. I did not receive the paper work from them until the end of April. I filled it out and faxed it back immediately. No one contacted me letting me know if I was covered or not until I called them and found out I owed over a thousand dollars just to continue with the insurance. In a previous email from HR told me Cobra had until April 17th to get me the paperwork needed to continue Cobra. I was unaware that I was covered under their insurance at that time. It would have been nice to know because we have been waiting until we got the coverage to schedule a doctors appointment. My wife couldn't refill her synthroid medication until she had visited the doctor, and still hasn't.
I think there was an injustice done by Cobra not contacting me to tell me that I had insurance and by telling me I had to pay the retro payments to keep it. Besides that it will only last for 5 more months.
Monday the 11th I received a letter and premium payment invoice for $0.00 for June from Cobra. It said my ex-company retained them for continuation of coverage including billing. I don't understand what that means. Is SMP paying my portion?
If not I do not plan to continue with Cobra because I do not think it is fair for me to pay the back payments when I was not notified then about being covered by insurance. It will be cheaper for me to pay for the doctor visit.
N  26th of Aug, 2011 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes

Actually, you mentioned the answer to our healthcare dilemna. Heatlhcare, not heath insurance. And the cobra subsidy expires next week, so many more will be out of health insurance. http://cobrahealth.com/End-subsidy.html