CloseoutGenius.com / Horrible Scammers

1 102 Avenue OBrooklyn, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-888-OK-GENIUS

This company is horrible and I am so upset that I didn't think to review all of these comments before I purchased a Garmin GPS Unit from them. I found them on a site that gave them 5 stars for customer service and decided that the Web site looked like a legitimate company.

After placing my order, I waited a couple of weeks and got a call back saying that the Garmin Unit that I ordered needed map updates and it would cost an additional $60.00. The Garmin site gives the maps for free, but I was told from the rep at Close Out Genius that this is a wholesale item and doesn’t qualify for free maps. I tried canceling the order and they would not give me my money back. I told the man on the phone I would reject the shipment and he told me I could not do that because he would not authorize a return that way (the web site was then updated a few days later with a disclaimer saying that this is their policy, but I have the original policy printed off).

After WEEKS of fighting with who I swear is the same man on the phone, my numbers were all blocked so when I called in I got a busy signal. Since January, I have no merchandise and I was charged more than $200.00.

I reported this company to the Better Business Bureau and the Federal Trade Commission and everyone who has been scammed by this company should do the same. Maybe if enough complaints are submitted, this company will be shut down.

Di

Comments

• Dr
      20th of Mar, 2009
    CloseoutGenius.com - false advertisement...
    Las Vegas
    Nevada
    closeoutgenius.com

Same thing happens to me...Price too good to be true. I placed an order for an Optoma HD71 projector in which it was almost half the price of other competitors in which they said was available in stock for delivery. Next thing I know, they kept on asking me to call back to confirm the order. When I told them I only wanted the projector that I chose to ship out...Next thing you know, they kept on telling me its on back order for atleast 3 weeks. Definitely BAIT AND SWITCH SITE...Even their phone numbers are busy when you try to call and complaint...

23rd of Mar, 2009
    CloseoutGenius.com - Order Not Fulfilled
    Closeoutgenius.com
    closeoutgenius.com

I placed an order in early March for a Canon digital camera online at website, www.closeoutgenius.com, submitted charge card info etc. A few days later, I received not 1 BUT 2 phone calls from the company asking if I wanted to add a VERY EXPENSIVE extra battery to my order that had been placed. The caller words it as if no battery even comes with the camera. I questioned that and was told that it was an EXTRA battery, but not until I questioned it.
    After both calls, I get an email saying my item, the camera is on BACKORDER for 2-3 weeks. No other details are given, such as do I REORDER or does my order just get filled after more cameras come in. I have emailed and called REPEATEDLY. The line is NEVER NOT BUSY and no email has been answered.
    Just like all the other complaints read. This is a "bait and switch" company.
    There should be something done about this type of online business practice.

• Aj
      30th of Mar, 2009
    CloseoutGenius.com - horrible customer service!
    CloseOutGenius.com

This web site is horrible! I can't believe them, I ordered a camera and paid for the express delivery and the day I was supposed to receive my camera I received an e-mail stating that I had to confirm my order due to security reasons. I'm very angry! I needed that camera for a wedding shoot! Hence the reason I paid for express shipping... When I called back the number they gave me in the e-mail didn't work, so I had to call the general line. The first person hung up on me. The second tried to sell me a battery and a charger (that I already have). This was horrible...

• Lt
      17th of Apr, 2009
    CloseoutGenius.com - Did not fulfill order
    CloseoutGenius.com
    Phone: 888-654-3648
    CloseoutGenius.com

I placed an order for a camera that I found on the internet on 4/5/09. On 4/12/09, I received an email that there was a security issue and I must call them. I tried for 5 days to call and got either a message stating they were closed or a message that my call could not go through. My emails were never returned. I finally sent an email telling them to cancel my order. I hope my credit card is not charged because I will definitely dispute the charge! They are still advertising the camera in various colors. I believe they are fraudulent.

• Da
      14th of Jul, 2009
    CloseoutGenius.com - scam

Just like all of the others, you place an order and they contact you to try and sell you overpriced batteries and memory cards. when you tell them no you get put on permanent back order. I ordered April 2 and just now canceled my order on July 14. The call I made to cancel was answered by an answering service who told me they do not have any product in stock and that they have been closed for two months. The people you do talk to are rude and I was hung up on at least 4 times. DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY!!! THEY ARE A JOKE!!!

• Dh
    CloseoutGenius.com - THEFT/SCAM.
    Close Out Genius
    102 avenue 0
    brooklyn
    Phone: 1888 OKGENIUS
    closeoutgenius.com

This is the claim I filed with the Better Business Bureau. EVERYONE WHO HAS HAD A PROBLEM WITH THIS COMPANY, PLEASE, PLEASE FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE BBB. this company NEEDS to be shut down!! Please read my story and then file your own complaint!

I found a camera in my price range and bought it. I paid $40.00 overnight delivery and received confirmation as well as a receipt via e-mail. TWO DAYS later i received a phone call from someone at CloseOut who began to attempt to up sell a different product to me. He began to argue with me and tell me I didn't know anything about cameras or else I would go with what he wanted me to purchase. My original $700 total went up to $1040. He then told me it was in the mail on it's way. A week later it finally arrived. When I opened the package there was the camera body but NO LENSES or CF. I called the company BEGGING them to please send the lenses. He told me he would ship them out that day and they'd be there within a few days.THEY NEVER CAME.I called the company during their "normal business hours" a few times a day for weeks! No one EVER answered. I e-mailed a few times-no response. I then called my credit card company to dispute thecharges since I now had a camera that was useless. I began to do some research on the company and found over a dozen forums, and online publications warning customers to STAY AWAY from this company. I went through all the steps required to dispute the charges with Chase. Chase attempted to get ahold of the company but couldnt. In the final step, I wrote an e-mail to CloseOut telling them since I didn't have a return address to send the useless equipment back, I have made the equipment available for pick-up, should they chose to do that. Again, no response. Chase finally reimbursed me for my $1040.00 total. That was in May. Today, I received a phone call from Chase saying that CloseOut came back and is dismissing my dispute, telling Chase that they NEVER received an e-mail or phone call from me and now Chase might have to take the money back. They are scam artists and this company is a joke. I did some more research and one of their addresses is located in a brooklyn slum and registered as "Close Out Scam." They also have about 15 different phone numbers and a few different company names ("Wholesale Genius" "SLR Genius"). I AM NOT THE FIRST ONE THEY HAVE SCAMMED!

• Dh
      2nd of Sep, 2009

i filed a complaint and sent messages to every member i read who had to deal with this ### company telling them to complain. there has to be something else we can do. please go to my story https://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/closeoutgeniuscom-c250115.html and read what they did to me!
    it's unreal. we need to do something about this!

• Ca
    CloseoutGenius.com - credit card fraud
    closeoutisland.com
    New York
    Phone: 18009224752
    closeoutgenius.com

These people are operation under several names. The took my credit card info and screwed me hard. They tried to buy tickets to ireland and some monthly billing stuff. If you would like to email the guy that used the credit card i found out and send him some crappy emails is franciscolvare@yahoo.com. They are running this thru a 3rd party credit card company. SO beware please. closeoutgenius.com and closeoutisland.com. They are also under another one that i found but i dont have it handy.

• Al
      12th of Nov, 2010

CloseoutGenius.com and it's affiliates, are an al-qaida opritive, organized to decieve and cheat the western world for profit in order to support al-qaida's objective.