Clear Vision Marketing Vending Locators / They ripped me off! Stole $1050 of my money!

1 221 North 3rd Street Office #4Vincennes, IN, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-800-801-1872

The CEO is Patrick Cosgrove. He is a crook. Stay away from this company. They were nice at first, took my $450 deposit, then never returned my calls. I would have to call many times a day and left dozens of messages without any calls back. After the first email they sent me stating that they could find vending machine locations for my 3 new vending machines, in about 2 weeks, it took 3 months before they even sent up a guy to do the job. His name was Gary Humpal and he is also a crook and an ex-con.

Gary showed up, with no ID and no license, I had to pick him up at the train station. I took 2 days off from work to drive him around to find locations for my machines. Then he basically lied to my face. He would go into a prospective location, ask me to stay in the car, then come out and tell me the owner said we could place a machine there anytime. He did this most of the 1st day. Then after supposedly finding 3 good locations, he demanded to be paid. I was dumb enough to pay him in cash, the balance of $600.

The next day I went back to each location and found out that the owners never told Gary we could put machines in. It was all a scam. So there I was out $1050 and I had no locations for my 3 machines which cost $9000 and had been sitting idle for 3 months now.

I called Patrick to complain and it took many attempts to get a hold of him. At first he said he would honor his 3 year free replacement warranty which I have in writing that says if your not satisfied with any location for the first 3 years, they will find new locations for free. So Since they couldn't produce 3 locations the first time, and I wasn't satisfied at all, they were still obligated by this warranty. He said he would have another person come right out but then the usual 3 weeks go by with him not returning any phones calls.

Finally he sent me an email saying, that I got scammed and he had some land to sell me, ha ha. He was actually proud of screwing innocent people. I have since filed a small claims suit in the state of New Hampshire against him.

They are a terrible company and were recommended by the company I purchased the machines from. I should have found A good locator first, secured my locations in writing, and then bought the machines after.

Comments

• Pa
      20th of May, 2008

You are very talented about forgetting details in your story in order to pass the blame onto others. Let me fill everybody in on some details missed:

- You where told explicitly by our Sales Director to NOT pay the locator until you've met each and every decision maker. There is no grey area and it's your business not the locator, who, as it is normal in this industry, is an independent contractor.

- Several of these locations changed their mind when they actually met you. Whether it be a personality conflict or maybe they where lying to our rep to begin with (since they knew he was a salesman) the point is - IF YOU HAD MET THE DECISION MAKERS before paying the locator these problems would have been resolved in the natural course of following your contract.

Yes, I did say I have some land to sell you in - Let's see, I said something along the lines of: I have some land to sell you - but you can't see it until you pay me... Or how about this: I have a car to sell you but you can't see it or test drive it until you pay... Sounds pretty foolish, doesn't? Who on earth would make a major investment, let alone an investment in their own business, without checking out the details first? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

You did everything you could to not participate in the most critical part of your business, yet it would have been so simple to follow the contract. Did the locator hold a gun to your head and say "PAY ME WITHOUT SEEING THE LOCATIONS OR I WHACK YOU?" Was his last name "Soprano?" If so, please contact the police or FBI, otherwise I had made you an offer - a compromise on both sides - to help you clean up your mess. But of course, if you can't take responsibility for your own actions I can't help you.

By the way our innocent customers that follow the contract and our EXPLICIT VERBAL INSTRUCTIONS (which are recorded - I have you on a computer audio file agreeing to my sales director you will meet the decision makers) don't seem to have any problems. Imagine that?

Further slander will result in the following:

- Your conversation with our Sales Director (the audio file) being posted on boards
    - A countersuit for slander and willfully sabotaging your project (which we invested in as well)

23rd of May, 2008

Patrick,
    You are full of S&*^. You were not there and have no idea what Gary told me. I certainly did agree to meet the decision makers and looked forward to it, however when I tried to meet each person first, I was told by your locator Gary Humpal to wait in the car because it wouldn’t look good if too many people went in. I was never asked once to go in and meet a decision maker, just the opposite, I was told to wait in the car. I was very uneasy about paying Gary but he demanded to be paid for each location right away. Gary was expecting $1050 dollars even though I had already paid you a $450 deposit, so we had to call you that day. When we were able to finally reach you, I told you and I quote, "I want to make sure it is ok with you if I pay Gary, because my contract is with you and not Gary". You replied, "It is ok to pay Gary". Do you deny this? When you send people like Gary Humpal to find locations for your company so you can just make some quick cash, you are still responsible for that person. When that locator says "This location is secured" and "I want you to pay me cash right now", and they are directly lying to your customer, you are responsible for him. He is simply a thief and I cannot believe that is the quality of person you send to your customers. You should be ashamed. If you do not fire him immediately, more of your customers will get ripped off. He lied to my face. The business owners DID NOT change their mind at all like you allege, they, all 8 of them, told me that they told Gary something totally different, One location already had 3 machines but Gary told me they had none. This is not the customer changing their mind; this is Gary lying to my face. Another location, a bank, told me that they told Gary, they already had 2 machines and it would be a while before they would consider another. Another customer, Aleskas Auto did not change their mind; Gary came out and told me he had talked to the owner and that I could place a machine there right away. It's funny that the next day when I went back, the manager that Gary talked with said the owner was not interested. I'm certain I can get these persons to submit recorded testimony in court if I have to. Now I know why Gary wanted me to wait in the car when he went in. It really hurts that I was kind enough to buy Gary and his assistant lunch while they were lying to me. I was a real sucker. I admit.

The other thing that should have clued me in was that you guys don't use written agreements between the location owner and the vending owner. This is so guys like Gary can lie their way through it and get away with the cash.

As far as your warranty, it says that if for any reason you are unhappy with a location, you will replace it free. Well that is also not true. I called you and told you I was unhappy because I had NO locations and Gary had scammed me. You did say you would take care of it but then dragged it out for another month. I couldn't wait any longer. It had been basically 3 months and my machines were not up and running. And I had paid CVM and its locator $1050 dollars. I had to go to another company. The new company by the way was Nationwide Locations. They were honest, prompt, and not a scam like you. The delivered everything they said and they hand over written agreements with the business owner and the vending operator, that’s when they ask to get paid. Their locator was honest unlike yours. I also received and email from the owner of Nationwide Locations saying that I was a good customer and a pleasure to work with.

One last thing, you never return phone calls. I checked my cell records and of the 64 calls placed to your office, only one was ever received from your office. It was when you were trying to close the deal and get the deposit. That is the only time you ever called me. All my other messages that I left went un-returned. That’s how you do business.

To summarize, I paid you and your location rep $1050 for 3 locations and I got none. I also got no warranty when I informed you that none of the locations worked out. I also got no answer when I informed you that your rep had scammed me except that I was stupid enough to fall for it. I admit, I was stupid enough to do business with Clear Vision Marketing, but that will never happen again. All I want is my $1050 back.

My small claims case with you is still pending in New Hampshire court.

26th of Jun, 2008

Patrick,
    Two other of your customers have emailed me and have also said you ripped them off in a very similar manner. I'm sure there are hundreds more. You really are a Big Piece of Slime and if I ever meet you in person, you will most definately regret it.

Here are their Letters. Gary Humpal strikes again.

*****************************************************

E-Mail from "chanelle " to "Ron Thibeault" (https://www.complaintsboard.com)
    Sun, 15 Jun 2008 22:31:07 -0700
    I just read your complaint about clear vision and patrick cosgrove. we were scammed by them also. We paid them $2700 to get advertising on our machine, and they did nothing. They were also recommended to us by the company who sold us our machine. We are curious about what steps you have taken against them and how things are going. We are considering taking legal action as well and would love any help you could give us.

****************************************************

E-Mail from "John Piazza" to "Ron Thibeault" (https://www.complaintsboard.com)
    Sun, 15 Jun 2008 01:26:57 -0700
    I wish I had "google searched" this company prior to sending him $2, 200.00. Like you, he said and did ALL the same things regarding placement of vending machines for me. After listening to his professional "sales pitch" and trusting his committment to detail, we sent a deposit check overnight that cleared our bank two days later. We were told that Gary Humpal was the best and he was on his way to Florida to install 200 vending machines for us. Gary called me to say that we were to pick him up and drive him around while he obtained new locations for us. When I said "no" to this the entire scam began to unwind. Now we are trying to get Patrick to answer his phone and return our money. I will not stop this fight until Patrick Cosgrove, Gary Humpal and Allen Turner (the CVM salesman based in Nevada) have paid full restitution. If it means "jail time" for any or all of them, then so be it. WE WILL NOT BE RIPPED OFF!

• Bo
      11th of Jul, 2008

I got screwed also for the tune of $570.00.
    Exact same thing happened to me !!!
    If I do not get my money back, I am going to
    go and find this smart ### and get my money
    in person...if it takes every dime
    I have left and all my time, I will do it !!!

This guy messed with the wrong person !

13th of Jul, 2008

UPDATE:
    I have received more emails from people that have gotten scammed in the same way. Thanks for the support. IF YOU HAVE GOTTEN SCREWED BY CLEAR VISION MARKETING, PLEASE POST A COMMENT so I can have more ammunition when I go to Court.
    I just wanted to update you all on what is happening. I issued a small claims suit through Salem District court in NH but they could not serve the papers in Knox County IND. So I contacted KNOX County Sherrif dept and for $60, they are serving the suit papers, I am waiting for confirmation that Patrick did get served. He probably skipped the country. I also got a call from a U.S. Postal Inspector that said Patrick is being investigated for mail fraud for hundreds of thousands of dollars. I also contacted the Indiana BBB and filed a complaint(below).

ANY OTHERS FEEL FREE to EMAIL or call my CELL if you want to help nail this ###. Thanks Ron
    Cell # 603-475-597

BBB Complaint ID#: 13007444
    Business Name: Clear Vision Marketing

Thank you for contacting the Better Business Bureau. Your complaint was received by the Bureau on June 27, 2008 and has been assigned case# 13007444 in our files. Please make a note of this number for future reference.

Your complaint has been applied to the following business:
    Clear Vision Marketing
    221 N. Third St. Office #4
    Vincennes, IN 47591

The case has been reviewed by one of our Complaint Specialists and has now been forwarded to the business for their response.

We encourage you to use our ONLINE COMPLAINT system to keep up with the progress of this complaint. To view the details of your case click on the following link http://www.evansville.bbb.org/complaint/view/13007444/c/9odtnu.

Sincerely,

BTW,
    The ### emails are :

patrick@clearvisionmkt.com
    gary_humpal@yahoo.com

But Im sure they wont answer.
    Ron

21st of Jul, 2008

Update : 7/21/08

My Suit Papers got served to Patrick 2 days ago. Also, he has lost his BBB accreditation. Many others are coming forward on the same type of contract violations. Here is the BBB Report ...

BBB RATING For CLEAR VISION MARKETING
    UNSATISFACTORY

BBB issues Reliability Reports on all businesses, whether or not they are BBB accredited. If a business is a BBB Accredited Business, it is stated in this report
    BBB Definition:

report - A summary of activity reflected in a company's BBB file. Includes basic business background, BBB Accreditation information, and BBB complaint activity over the previous three years. Also reports may include any known government actions, advertising issues or other information that results from activity conducted by the BBB.
    Name: Clear Vision Marketing

Principal: Mr. Patrick Cosgrove, CEO
    Customer Contact: Mr. Patrick Cosgrove, CEO
    Entity: Corporation
    Incorporated: October 1985, GA
    TOB Classification: Marketing Programs & Services, Business Opportunity Cos.
    BBB Accreditation: This organization is not a BBB Accredited business.

Additional DBA Names
    M.A.P Marketing & Promotions, Inc.

BBB Accreditation Status
    On April 17, 2008 this company's accreditation in the BBB was revoked by the BBB's Board of Directors Executive Committee due to failure to eliminate the underlying cause of complaints on file with the BBB and unresolved
    BBB Definition:

unresolved - The company failed to resolve the complaint issues.
    complaint(s). This company is no longer an accredited business of the BBB. The BBB has requested the return of the BBB Accreditation Plaque, however, the company has not responded. Unauthorized use of the BBB name is a violation of a federal trademark.

Nature Of Business
    This company offers internet marketing and ad agency services.

Customer Experience
    Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record
    BBB Definition:

unsatisfactory record - A company has an "unsatisfactory business performance record" with the BBB is based on the experiences reflected in BBB files. This file condition results when the company has failed to resolve or respond to complaints, repeatedly failed to respond or resolve issues in a timely manner, failed to resolve the underlying issues for a pattern
    BBB Definition:

pattern - More than 2 complaints involving the same allegations usually within 12 months that are significant in relation to the company's size and volume of business.
    of complaints, failed to honor their commitment to mediate or arbitrate disputes or honor mediated agreements or arbitrated decisions, failed to substantiate, modify or discontinue false advertising claims that are challenged by the BBB, or failed to discontinue unauthorized use of the BBB name and logo, a Federally protected trademark.
    with the BBB due to one or more unanswered and two or more unresolved
    BBB Definition:

unresolved - The company failed to resolve the complaint issues.
    complaints.

The Better Business Bureau reports on patterns found in a company's file. A pattern
    BBB Definition:

is any three (3) or more complainants alleging same or similar situations. The following patterns are currently present:

Failure to honor the contract and/or provide services as promised.

Failure to provide refunds.

Failure to return calls and/or answer correspondence.

Failure to answer complaints forwarded to it by the BBB.
    When considering complaint information, please take into account the company's size and volume of transactions, and understand that the nature of complaints and a firm's responses to them are often more important than the number of complaints.
    The BBB processed a total of 16 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total of 16 complaints closed in 36 months, 16 were closed in the last year.
    Contract Issues
    BBB Definition:

Contract Issues - Claim of alleged failure to honor contract or agreement, work performed without authorization, or invalid contract.

Unresolved - The company failed to resolve the complaint issues.

3 - Company failed to resolve the complaint issues through the BBB voluntary and self-regulatory process.

No Response - The company failed to respond to the complaint.

3 - Company failed to respond to the BBB to resolve or address the complaint issues.

Sales Practice Issues
    BBB Definition:

Sales Practice Issues - Claims of alleged sales presentations made in person or by telephone that contain misrepresentations of the product or service, high pressure sales practices, failure to disclose key conditions of the offer, and verbal representations not consistent with written contractual terms or agreements.

No Response - The company failed to respond to the complaint.

2 - Company failed to respond to the BBB to resolve or address the complaint issues.

Service Issues
    BBB Definition:

Service Issues - Claims of alleged delay in completing service, failure to provide promised service, inferior quality of provided service, or damaged merchandise as a result of delivery service.

Unresolved - The company failed to resolve the complaint issues.

1 - Company failed to resolve the complaint issues through the BBB voluntary and self-regulatory process.

Guarantee or Warranty Issues
    BBB Definition:

Guarantee or Warranty Issues - Claims alleging failure to honor the terms regarding guarantees or warranties.

No Response - The company failed to respond to the complaint.

1 - Company failed to respond to the BBB to resolve or address the complaint issues.

Product Issues
    BBB Definition:

Product Issues - Claim alleging a product does not meet the expectations of the complainant, including defective merchandise.

Refund or Exchange Issues
    BBB Definition:

Refund or Exchange Issues - Claim of alleged failure to honor company policy or verbal commitment to provide refunds, exchanges, or credit for products or services.

Unresolved - The company failed to resolve the complaint issues.

2 - Company failed to resolve the complaint issues through the BBB voluntary and self-regulatory process.

Licensing
    This company is in an industry that may require licensing, bonding or registration in order to lawfully do business. The BBB encourages you to check with the appropriate agency to be certain any requirements are currently being met.

Company Management
    Additional company management personnel include:
    Mr. Jim Ellis - Web Site Design & Dvlp.

Additional Contact Information
    Additional Phone Numbers
    Tel: (812) 962-4273
    Additional Fax Numbers
    Fax: (888) 720-9029

22nd of Jul, 2008

The ### got another person. It seems they just dont care who they ripoff. This is yet another email I received. I am trying to nail these guys and your emails will help. I may contact you all back to get signed affidavits if possible, which I can use in court. Thanks for all your help.

sincerely Ron Thibeault

E-Mail from "Dean Wiggins" to "Ron Thibeault" (https://www.complaintsboard.com)
    Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:45:53 -0700
    Sey, I think I've been scammed also. Clear Vision was recommanded by Multivend LLC, the compny I purchased 30 vending machines from. Gary came into town called me the day before we were to place machines. He said their truck broke down so I picked them up and took them to a motel. I should have known then something was wrong! I drove them around to different businesses to place machines. I thought there would be some research done, but no. I now have to remove 12-15 machines because they didn't talked to the person to give approval. I called multivent LLC and complained to Larry kaplin. Hes a support manager. He told me he would call Mr. cosgrove, but who knows whats going to happen. If I can help get these people please email me. thx DEan Wiggins

• Br
      29th of Jul, 2008

This compnay and Patrick Cosgrove is a crook ... he will take your money and make excuses forever at not being responsible for anything. The BBB has stood behind this guy but should know better. Cosgrove and the entire band of thieves should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

20th of Aug, 2008

Update : I won my judgement against Patrick because he defaulted, no answer. Now I have to find a collections agency to try to get my money. Ron Thibeault

• To
      8th of Sep, 2008

Ron - I would sure like to visit with you. I too was taken by Mr. Cosgrove and at least one other person who invested in DVD Kiosks at the same time got took as well. $3, 000 each in fact. The BBB did very little to assist me. I'm curious how the court process has gone for you?

17th of Sep, 2008

Same here. Cost me $3000 for 50 machines. My placement guy did a pretty good job but I have had to pickup 15 because they all decided they did not want them in their stores. I have 2 that the stores claim were never placed. Now Vendstar wants me to pay $110 to replace each of those under "WARRANTY"

Clear Vision has hung up on me a couple times left me on lengthy hold numerous times and now I was given the owners cell phone by Vendstar but have not heard from him for 3 days. They gave me Gary's number which I am not using him after reading this.

So i guess I am out the money and am going to have to relocate the machines myself.

• Ki
      30th of Nov, 2008

I too was ripped off by Patrick Cogsgrove ( I hear that he also goes by another name, too), and his slimy company, Clear Vision Marketing.
    I only lost the money for one location which The machine would not even fit in (it's a mini combo). I aked Patrick in a phnoe conversation and by e-mail to refund the money or find another location and was told somebody would be right on it soon (yea right) he never follows up phone calls or e-mails unless he want your money. I gave up on him and his company last summer and took location matters into my own hands in order to save my buisness from losing more money.I could not afford to let mashines which I was making payments on just sit idle and collect dust or I would be out of buisness by now. So, because of my misstrust of the locating industry in general after being ripped off by Clear Vision Marketing, Who's warranty is not worth the paper it's printed on, I now find my own locations and I would recommend all other small vending machine operator to do the same. It's your buisness, don't depend on ### like Patrick Cogsgrove to help you as a buisness partner or your company's books may never get out of the red. I would be glad to participate in any class action legal suit against this con man and his company. You can contact me at kimrasmussen06@comcast.net

31st of Mar, 2010

Did anything ever come of any of this? I too was scammed back in 2008.