ClassicDVDtv.com / Possible Fraudulent Business

Phone: 313-303-5137

I had emailed this seller and expressed interest in purchasing some DVDs
from them.However, given 1)the somewhat sketchy and rudimentary 'look' of
their website, 2)the absence of name and physical address of the seller on
the website, and3)the absence of any customer reviews and feedback on the
website and online in general (as searched on Google.com), I asked for
confirmation in my email whether the DVDs did include the full media content
as advertised, and if not whether I could receive a refund(even though the
website states:'We do not offer refunds, 'I felt if the DVDs I were to buy
wouldn't arrive as advertised, I should be entitled to a refund, and I wanted
to make sure).In my email, I also asked what the process for exchanging
defective discs, if any, would be (eg warranty limits, would I be responsible
for sending the defective discs back at my own expense etc- all questions
that were not addressed in the vague 'FAQ' of their website).I sent this
email on Sep 8, 2010.By Sep 11, 2010, I still had not heard anything back.So I
sent a follow-up email, more leery this time, asking whether this business
still existed, and if it was real, and the website was not fraudulent(it had
graphics of different credit card companies displayed prominently across the
top).I felt that if the business no longer existed, or if the website was
fraudulent, as a conscientious consumer I should report it to the appropriate
authorities, in order to prevent more unsuspecting customers from entering
and giving their financial information to the site.I asked that the seller
respond to me, in any way, with anything, so I could know if the business was
indeed legitimate.And indeed, I received a reply on Sep 13, 2010.The seller
bluntly asked me to buy from someone else, that they did not want my
business.They wrote that they really did not appreciate my 'threats and
allegations.'I replied on the same day, explaining that I did not 'threaten'
them or 'allege' anything, that I was only concerned about giving my credit card information to a seller/company that does not reply to customers'
questions, or address their possible concerns.The seller still has not
answered the questions I had in my first email.I realize a seller has the
right to discriminate whom to do business with, but I feel the selling
practices and customer service of this seller were, when they're not
non-existent, simply unacceptable.I assume now the seller did not want to
answer my original questions in the first place, because they could not
guarantee their products and were not willing to remedy any wrongdoing if it
should arise, thus making their selling practices even more dubitable.I was
neither rude nor confrontational in my emails(which I have kept fully for
proof and documentation), and I believe the seller handled this very badly, in
both attitude and behavior.

Kh

More ClassicDVDtv.com Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Bo
      1st of Nov, 2010

If something sounds too good to be true, it always is. Plus, this seller is seriously involved with breaking copyright infringement laws and counterfeit copies of copyrighted films and TV seriers. There's no address, phone number, or FAQ available anywhere on the website. Avoid.

• Se
      30th of Nov, 2010

I have ordered from them and have been very happy with my purchases. They state: All of our titles are from public domain sources meaning that all copyrights have expired over time. They offer no frills, but a great product at very low costs.

• Ab
      13th of Dec, 2010

I was worried about their product because of the price but I just received my order. The videos look great and I am happy.

• Pa
      25th of Mar, 2011

I ordered from them 15 days ago and still have not received my dvd's. They sent me an email 3 days ago and said they would be shipped in 2 to 3 days. The phone number is bogus it goes to a voice mail that says the mailbox for that number has not been set up yet. And now they won't answer my emails.

• Mi
      13th of Dec, 2011

I purchased the Who's the Boss 17 dvd collection which I received yesterday. I was alittle skeptical at first because the number attached to this site does not work but after 2 weeks I received my dvds. It looks like the shows were taped off the tv and put on dvd with no commercials. It is not bad quality and I get to view my favorite "whos the boss" shows anytime I want. Thank you classic dvdtv.com. I paid a great price and I am very happy.

• Dv
      4th of Jan, 2012

I was very skeptical, but most of the DVD's work fine. Occasionally they get out of sync, but not to the extent that they are unwatchable. I do not agree with the claim that these are in the "Public domain" because the particular one I have was from the 80's and one season was officially released. Copyrights last a lot longer than that! This company appears to pirate the programs and distribute them for profit which could land them in big legal trouble if they are found. They do deliver what they claim to, however. You get what you pay for, and since the producers failed to release the entire series this is better than nothing.

19th of Jan, 2012

The classicdvdtv.com website says "We do not offer official releases." That is true. They recorded the shows off of TV and burned them onto DVDs at home.

They also claim "All of our titles are from public domain sources meaning that all copyrights have expired over time." and "*WE OFFER THE VERY BEST IN RARE, HARD TO FIND, AND OTHERWISE UNRELEASED CLASSIC TELEVISION SHOWS." This is not true. Some of the DVDs on classicdvdtv.com are of TV shows from the 80's and 90's and available for sale through Amazon.com and other sites. One of the shows was on the air in 2000 and the DVDs are available through Amazon.com as well as for rental from Netflix. They are not public domain. Recording them off TV and burning them onto DVDs does not make them public domain. It is pirated content.

They claim "This site is hosted by Yahoo! Store." and that might actually be true, however, classicdvdtv is not listed in the Yahoo! Store directory. If they are hosted by Yahoo! Store they are using another business name so that you can't complain to Yahoo! about them.

classicdvdtv.com does not provide customers with a physical address, only a phone number and an e-mail address. That certainly makes it more difficult to report them to law enforcement for selling bootleg DVDs.

• Wa
      28th of Mar, 2013

I have done business with this company before and was happy because all the discs worked. that is until
    I ordered St. Elsewhere that included 25 discs. Disc 16 was totally unwatchable as it froze at the beginning
    of the second episode on the disc and would stop, tile badly, freeze and then stop. I have emailed them four
    times for a replacement (according to their website they say they will replace bad discs) and they have chosen not
    to anwer. There were other sets that I wanted but will not order from them until they replace the bad disc per
    their own policy.

• Li
      26th of Mar, 2015

Very Unhappy. Cannot contact anyone for returns. DVDS are NOT as advertised. 9 episodes are duplicates, they were not supposed to have commercials & they all have commercials that are very poorly edited. No customer support. BEWARE

• Ab
      25th of Dec, 2015

I believe this is the same as: www.classicdvdworld.com

I found a show on there from the 80s to 90s I want, which this site claims to have. This show has NEVER been released on DVD, and even the sample video is clearly VHS quality.

Totally illegal. The claim that copyrights have expired is a total lie and they are definitely breaking copyright laws. Also, their About Us page only gives a phone number and GMAIL account. NO commercial business I have ever used has a gmail or yahoo account. Zero. In addition, there is no name or address anywhere. That is a BIG red flag and spells scam to me.

Here is what I found when I did a whois:

Ext:
    Fax:
    Fax Ext:
    Email: proxy3678051@1and1-private-registration.com

Since the person who registered the name left out all the details, it is obvious this person is hiding and doesn't want to be found since this site is very illegal and profiting from copyrighted videos.

From the FAQ:

All of our titles either;

(a) Have lapsed into public domain meaning that all copyrights have expired over time.

-and/or-

(b) Have no official retail version currently available or currently scheduled for release.

Look at that last line. No retail version available. Ok, so that doesn't mean it is public domain or can be sold by someone who does not own the rights, which is exactly what is happening here.

Also, they state all videos are from public domain sources? Just because something is broadcast on TV, and I will put this in caps, DOES NOT MEAN IT IS PUBLIC DOMAIN. Someone owns the copyright and content.

Clearly the person running this ILLEGAL SITE doesn't know what the hell public domain means or just assumes because a TV show is very old that the copyright is expired. A copyright can easily last over 50 years.

Scam, illegal, and massive copyright infringement.