City of Mauldin / Injustice

1 5 East Butler Road, Mauldin, SC 29662 Mauldin, SC, United States Review updated:
Phone: (864) 444-0841

I recently arrived in S. Carolina. I made the mistake of going through this town on a couple of occasions. The very first time I got a ticket. I plead guilty because I did not have the time or resources to deal with it having just moved. The fees were reduced in half. The cop was mad, because I had the judge convinced to drop the charges and he protested. Come to find out this is a scam that the City of Mauldin Court system does. They charge you twice the amount allowed by law by the State of South Carolina, and then offer to reduce the charges in half if you plead guilty.
Anyhow the next time that cop saw me he pulled me over again and claimed I was doing 60 in a 40, which I was not. He issued me another ticket, and got me for an expired plate which I had been trying to get a S. Carolina plate issued. I explained to him that I was on the way back to the DMV at that very time, because S. Carolina refused to give me a plate without my Florida registration, and that Florida just kept telling me they were mailing it to me. He didn't care that I was doing everything in my power to comply with this law, or that the DMV was denying me a plate with no legal grounds to do so. Meanwhile, I am living 30 miles in the middle of no where with no other transportation.
Anyhow, the cop failed to show up for court on my trial date, great right, no! In Florida it would have been dismissed as you have a right to face your accuser in court.
By the way, in S.C. citizens have no rights. I was told that the magistrate or admin. judge would reschedule my court date, so I asked her why the officer failed to appear in court, she stated that she would not disclose this, just that she deemed it a valid reason.
Since then I have filed a motion of discovery, and requested a jury trial. Both the Clerk of the Court and the Mauldin Police Dept. have failed completely to provide the requested information. The Police Dept. even hiring a lawyer to fight me in court. I have contacted the Clerks office back several times, they refuse to assign me a trial date, when I tell them that I will have to file a motion to dismiss due to the incredible space of time, and that my right to a speedy trial is being violated they told me, and I quote, "we have no speedy trial here, do what you have to!" After this they hung up on me! Please someone help, I cannot afford to hire the necessary assistance to fight this corrupt municipality!

Lo

Comments

• Ya
      24th of May, 2009

They are corrupt as they come in Mauldin SC. from the Chief on down...they certainly are short on IQ also...remember the civil war?...take them to court on a federal level were as they can't get away with it.

Yankee

19th of Jun, 2009

I would like to know your definition of corrupt? If you were issued a citation, and were not guilty, then why would you not come to court and plea that way? It costs you nothing, but your time. We charge under the state guidelines. Mandatory assessments are added to each citation, this is imposed by the state. That would be the reason for your citation being more than the amount that you found from your online research into the state code.

Let me get this straight, you weren’t speeding the first time, but you pled guilty. You weren’t speeding the second time, and it is the State of South Carolina's problem that you couldn’t get a tag? Sounds like a pattern of denial to me, but that’s just my thoughts.

The State (City of Mauldin) has the same right that you do, to request that a case be continued. Do not also be fooled that The City of Mauldin hired an attorney just to fight your case. We have a prosecution team that work our court system and Jury Trials are held on a quarterly basis. Should you wish to file a complaint, then I will suggest that you contact me directly, and I will inform you of what process you should complete.

Yankee... I do remember the Civil war, or at least what I read in the books in High School. I do not think that the City of Mauldin was involved. A city citation is not an offense that is held on the federal level, although there is an appeal process. Luckily for you ignorance and spelling are also not offenses that they hear on the federal level either. I welcome your comments as well.

Chief M. Bryan Turner (864) 289-8906

• Ri
      21st of Jun, 2009

Mr Turner you very well just proved a point in your offensive immature response. If spelling and pen man ship were an offense all your Officers would be serving time for their illegible chicken-scratch. Corruption is the vagueness in terminology you and your Department uses for probable cause. Your Departments writes the complaint not the Victim or Plantiff.

Gangs in Greenville SC ? you and your department determined how many? does this include all the after School Academics Clubs? Parents beware of your Child joining Math Club.

I know as Chief of Police your busy fighting crime...it just shows all the good people of Mauldin and Greenville ...this Chief of Police has time to surf the net and write complaints also! are you bucking for a raise Chief? are you doing this on company time?

I mentioned Mauldin Police to a Greenville county DA and eyes rolled...Chief am I now wanted for writing this, I'm sure you can dig down in vagueness and find some trumped up charges.

Are you sure your not a descendant of Robert E Lee?

Score:

Yankee 1
    Chief 0

• Ri
      21st of Jun, 2009

What are your state guidelines? are they specific or vague? Wouldn't you start with history of a person? what you classify two people throwing soda on each other? a crime? no injury or damage. Who would be at fault the first or second thrower?

Law is also common sense where a department or officer can submit a complaint for a warrant one time if it is turned down you may not re submit it again at later time with a former attorney turned Judge who has been involved in heated civil mediation vs. the accused.

This is corruption Mr. Turner as well as you contacting an employer 1000 miles away to try to injure the defendants employment.

18th of Jul, 2009

I have to agree, Mauldin Police Department is pretty corrupt.

16th of Jan, 2013

I have dealt with the city of mauldin as well as their over zealous, corrupt, unethical police staff. I have witnessed first hand and have documentation galore of numerous incidents of dirty police work, unethical police work, and lazy police work . They are too stupid to investigate and prosecute "real" crimes by "real" criminals so instead they make up their own rules and falsify trumped up charges and reports. They believe they are above the law and that the constitution and their citizens constitutional rights are not valid in the city limits of mauldin SC. They do not need probable cause to search, seize or interrigate people in Mauldin SC. They dont have to give suspects they detain or arrest property sheets or recird of the personal property they take from them. They dont even have to return peoples property back to them, they can keep it all. They can do whatever they want and nobody stops them. The Cheif of Police Bryan Turner bullys his neighbors, and is the leading factor in why the entire police dept. is corrupt. Its not that all the cops there are corrupt its that the younger rookie cops are so scared to speak up for whats right because Cheif Bryan Turner will just have them fired. I have personally had Mauldin officers apologize to me because of the behavior of their superiors toward me and say they are just following their orders. I have had money stolen, cars stolen, tons of trumped up charges(no convictions of course) at the orders of Bryan Turner. He is a crook and an overweight sorry excuse for a leader in power and I pray God ends his position swiftly. The city of mauldin would be a better place without Cheif Bryan Turner there.

17th of Jan, 2013

the only joke is the police dept. in mauldin sc. and the city officials who allow the circus act to continue. the problem is the people arent laughing...the fat lazy cops who work there may be..but not for too much longer..keep thinking nobody is watching...big brother is...

8th of Apr, 2015

Hi, This is Lorenzo. I haven't been on complaint boards in quite a long time. I would like to update you a little more since the Chief of Police for Mauldin P.D. decided to show his ###. The ticket for the tag was thrown out. By Florida law my tag was not expired and it was a Florida plate. The issue was that I couldn't seem to get Florida to send me a new decal in time. I was trying at the same time to switch my plates to South Carolina, and the DMV wouldn't let me. The Jury agreed with me regarding me not being guilty. You cannot charge someone for an expired plate based on South Carolina law, when their plate is not expired in the state it is registered in, but this is exactly what they attempted.
    Further update, I received two speeding tickets from this same officer. The first, as I stated, I plead guilty to. I plead guilty like I said because I did not have the resources at the time to fight it. I paid the ticket. Chief of Police, I will let you know, I was probably speeding the first time - you did not have (at this time) a sign posted in an obvious location indicating the limit. I was not doing 60. The second time, I absolutely was not speeding. Your officer lied his butt off in court in order to get a conviction. An officer that had video on everyone he dealt with, suddenly had none pertaining to my case. How convenient. Your department lied when a motion of discovery was filed, and claimed there existed no officer notes regarding the incident. The same officer magically produced (likely falsified) notes in court.
    Now today, in 2015, and long after I moved out of state, your corrupt system in Mauldin is again lying and saying that I never showed up for court and that you held my case in my absence, and that I never paid my ticket. It has been 7 years - just past the amount of time that no one keeps records past. How convenient! They issued a new warrant/ticket for me based on the fact that they say I didn't pay $20 of it. This is all lies. Lies, lies, lies. You are trying to milk residents of another state out of their money and using deceptive practices to do it. Sorry for calling you out, but you are ruining peoples lives based on your corruption.
    So, why everyone? Why would the City of Mauldin participate in such deceptive practices? The State of South Carolina allows a Municipality to keep a certain portion of any proceeds that come in from the issuance of tickets. Mauldin built a shiny new Municipal building that has to be covered!
    Finally Chief, you asked for the definition of corruption. I am surprised you did not learn this in Academy or in other Justice courses. It is in the dictionary, but since you do not know how to use one of these I will provide it for you. Corruption: dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery. Buy a dictionary.

Best Best Advice +4 Votes

Rick,
    I believe we both will be wanted by Mauldin P.D. now. Just found out the corrupt municipality of Mauldin has lied again, claimed I never appeared in court, and issued a warrant/ticket. 7 years and a few months later. Chief, I absolutely did appear in court both times and spoke with the judge both times. Chief, your ignorance is baffling. Don't comment on something you know nothing about. In this case I am seeing that something is the law.

8th of Apr, 2015

I haven't been on complaint boards in quite a long time. I would like to update you a little more since the Chief of Police for Mauldin P.D. decided to comment, not knowing the situation. The ticket for the tag was thrown out. By Florida law my tag was not expired and it was a Florida plate. The issue was that I couldn't seem to get Florida to send me a new decal in time. I was trying at the same time to switch my plates to South Carolina, and the Department of Motor Vehicle wouldn't let me. The Jury agreed with me regarding me not being guilty. You cannot charge someone for an expired plate based on South Carolina law, when their plate is not expired according to the states law from which it was issued.
    I received two speeding tickets from this same officer. The first, as I stated, I plead guilty to. I plead guilty like I said because I did not have the resources at the time to fight it. I paid the ticket. Chief of Police, I will let you know, I was probably speeding the first time - you did not have (at this time) a sign posted in an prominent location indicating the limit. I was not doing 60 as the officer claimed. Regardless, I am under no obligation in the United States to plead guilty; you, the charging party, must prove guilt. The second time, I absolutely was not speeding. Your officer lied in court in order to get a conviction. An officer that had video on everyone he dealt with, suddenly had none pertaining to my case. How convenient. Your department lied when a motion of discovery was filed, and claimed there existed no officer notes regarding the incident. The same officer magically produced (falsified) notes in court.
    Today, in 2015, and long after I moved out of state, your corrupt system is again lying, saying that I never showed up for court and that you held my case in my absence, and that I never paid my ticket. It has been 7 years - just past the time limit people keep records for. How convenient! They issued a new warrant/ticket for me based on the fact that they say I didn't pay $20 of it. This is all lies. You are trying to milk residents of another state out of their money and using deceptive practices to do it. Sorry for calling you out, but you are ruining peoples lives based on your corruption.
    Finally Chief, you asked for the definition of corruption. I am surprised you did not learn this during your training period. It is in the dictionary, but since you do not know how to use one of these I will provide it for you. Corruption: dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery.

• Be
      27th of Dec, 2017

I agree with the corruption which is prevalent in the Mauldin Police Dept. I do live in Mauldin and have been “touched” by persecution by its officers. I know I am not I making things up. I have lived here for over six years. I’ve decided to sell my house and relocate. Until someone actually gets in and changes the way things are in MPDept, nothing will change. I would start by telling people to plead not guilty I and request jury trials. The amount of people being ticketed per month is overwhelming. It’s like the City is paying for everything thru the money generated from tickets. Once their court log becomes saturated and back logged for a couple of years might give them a hint that u cannot exploit people.
    I might be criticized but I know what I am talking about and so does everyone else in Mauldin.