City 2 City Van Lines / Moving scam

The owner of the company came to my apartment, looked around at the size of my apartment and my furniture and gave me an estimate of how long it would take. At the time I was impressed by this personal and "hands-on" approach and care for my move. The owner then recommended to me based on the size of my apartment what size truck, crew, etc. The contract I signed was based on that hourly estimate after feeling some level of assurance from the owner as he sat in my living room. However, on the morning of the move, it took more than double that time for the job to be complete! They started at 11AM (were scheduled for 9AM) and completed the move after 4PM. I ended up paying almost $700 when we budgeted much less than half of that especially after hearing the owner's estimate. I would have no problem if the time ran over by 1 or even 2 hours but when it went over by more than double, I felt that the owner mis-represented how long it would take. He told me that he was in the business for over 20 years and so I naively believed that he knew how long the job should take. In these tough economic times, it was a tough lesson to learn. I probably won't get any money back because of all the "fine-print" stuff listed on the contract but I just wanted everyone to know about these guys. Don't be fooled, they will try to beat the price of their competition and would stop at nothing to win your confidence but you end up paying just as much if not more if you went with someone else.

I want to be clear that the actual service was great, they wrapped everything and were careful in their delivery but I had a problem with their method of suckering you into thinking it would take a few hours when in reality it's much longer. So beware!

More City 2 City Van Lines Complaints & Reviews

Comments

Jo
  26th of Jan, 2009

My fiancé and I needed a moving crew and we needed one fast. We sent our info to an online quote, where the info is sent to different moving companies. Within an hour we received a phone call from an associate of City 2 City Vanlines, a little hesitant, he put the owner on the phone, Jordan Ross, and he asked if he could come over to give us an exact estimate rather than guessing. We agreed, and a half hour later, Jordan showed up, we sat we talked, friendly conversation, the kind of guy you can call “friend.” He eventually swept the apartment, gave us a great deal at an hourly rate. Because of the aura and kind nature we decided to give him business right away. He not only was excited but THANKFUL for the work. We needed boxes so before he left, he told us to save our money, he gave us 15 boxes and tape right away. He said if you need more no problem. We had five days before our move, we received a phone call everyday confirming the move and to ask how the packing was going. The day finally came, last Sunday, Jan. 25th, four men showed up and immediately started working. We were living in a fifth floor walk up and not once did they stop to take a break, they were diligent, and the process was expedited quickly which was nice. When we got to our new apartment the process went even faster, and we were in our apartment before the time we wanted and the estimate was exactly what was discussed. Jordan Ross is a FAIR and HONEST man, and also a man who CARES about keeping his men employed. Nothing was broken and the process took 5 hours. To me that is amazing, my fiancé and I had a wonderful, wonderful experience with City 2 City Vanlines, and we would hire them again in a heartbeat, SERIOUSLY! Jordan if you are reading this, THANK YOU AGAIN.

Jonathan & Talana
Astoria, NY

Na
  25th of Apr, 2009

oh please did Jordan pay you to write this? city 2 city is the worst moving company they lie and cheat any way they can!!! I am not sure what Jordan Ross you worked with but he cheated and lied my move was going to be 1900 but ended up costing me 1500 more ... DO NOT USE THEM THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF!!!

Br
  14th of Aug, 2009

Can anybody decribe the description of what Jordan Ross looks like. I have a feeling he is not who is says he is.

Ni
  6th of Oct, 2010

Negative 4 Stars. This company has taken years off my life from the frustration that they have put me through. As others have reported, I was lured into an enticing estimate for my move only to essentially be forced into paying more than double to get my stuff. Everything about how they conduct business is dishonest and underhanded. Everything seems very strategic to me and no matter what you say they have an excuse. I spoke with them time and time again and at no point did one word I said get listened to. Many emails were completely ignored including my last several. They lost multiple items, broken many items, were later than i was told they would be by more than double..

Please please please never use this company. They are slimy and as far as I can see have no regard for professionalism or honesty.

After all of this they had the nerve to tell me that I was not getting a dime because I was trying to "trick" them!

They are scam artists and crooks. When I brought their attention to some of these terrible reviews and others their excuse was that they were posted by competing companies. They will likely say the same thing about this and any future posts. They basically threatened me with a slander suit when i said i was going to review them all over town since they wouldnt return my money.

BEWARE

David is the owner who will hear nothing you say, Charles will give you your impossibly low estimate, and Judy will ignore you once you start complaining after you get ripped off.