Citizensbank Of Canada / Fraud and scam

United States Review updated:
I want consumers to know that the mytreat gift card offered at this time of year for a Christmas gift is a rip off. My girls received one each 2 years ago and have been saving it for a special occasion. That time had come only to find out the balance is gone on monthly charges. The purchaser gave visa almost $25.00 out of $50.00 as each girl has only used the cards once for approximately half the amount and charges of $2.00/ month started in July 2008.

I understand monthly charges on a real VISA card but not on a gift card. These are just children who have no idea what fine print means and should not need to know. When money making companies that already rip off the natural joe daily have to rip off a kids gift card I say don't buy from them.
Va

Comments

La
  1st of Aug, 2009
See Articles below:
I had similar issues with the Mytreat Visa Gift Card by citizensbank of Canada.
They also charge you 75 cents a call when you call the toll-free help number to resolve a point-of-sale-issue.

They do not show a balance, and the store cashier software does not have the ability to take 'all that's there' on the card... When yu do not know howm much is left on the card, the cashier can only keyy in a lesser amount and take that amount from the card. There is no way to see a balance. In the end, I bought the card from the person who had been gifted, and tossed it aside...

Please forward this to those who might have occasion to consider a gift card for a birthday, or Christmas, etc.
================================
L. Ritchie
================================

this review from:

I wanted to buy someone a gift, and instead of buying a store specific gift card, I decided to buy Mytreat Visa Gift Card by citizensbank of Canada. I thought if I bought a prepaid Visa card my friend could shop at any store that took Visa, and that way she would have some variety, so I purchased this card and had it activated at my local supermarket.

This visa gift card

came in a cardboard sleeve, and when I went to the cashier to purchase it I was surprised to find it cost me 3.95CDN to activate this 25 dollar gift card. I asked what this meant and the cashier explained that as gift cards have always had a tendency to get stolen they now all have to be activated by the cashier or they will not work. She also pointed out that the back of the visa gift card sleeve did in fact explain the fees.

I gave this Mytreat Visa Gift Card by citizensbank of Canada to my friend as a gift, and the first time they used it they were surprised at how little security there was. This visa card is simply swiped across the electromagnetic strip at any store so it does not function as a regular credit card that you would have to key in a pin number for or sign for a purchase. Even worse, when you do use it and get a receipt, it only tells you the amount of money you spent, not how much is left remaining on the pre-paid visa card.

This was not to be the worst feature of this pre-paid Mytreat visa. My friend did not spend the whole 25 dollars the first time she used it, and when she went back to use it a second time, she couldn’t remember how much money might be left on the card. Even worse citizens bank had taken 2$ maintenance to maintain the small amount of money that was left on the card, even though the packaging states that there would be no fees for the first six months after activation.

All in all Mytreat Visa Gift Card by citizensbank of Canada are not worth the time or trouble . For one they lie about their fees, and these cards offer almost no security at all, and if you should lose it, you have to paya 20 dollar card replacement which might work well if you purchased a 100 dollar card but not a 25 dollar one. Next time I’ll simply give my friend cash and not lose 3.95 on an activation fee. This is a terrible product unless you are looking to use it one time only on an Internet purchase.

=================
Ti
  1st of Dec, 2010
I was given a $25 my treat gift card last Christmas. I kept it to use when I needed it. It was supposed to be good until (04-11). I tried to use it today (12-10) and it was declined. I tired to call the number on the back only to find out they were going to charge me .50 cents for the call and take it off my balance. I did find out I have a balance of ZERO!!! I couldn't figure it out until going online and seeing your comments. What a ripoff!!! They took all my money!!! I thought there was something in the criminal code...Oh right... THEFT. Guess I'm glad it's at zero other wise they could have stolen from me yet again. What a bunch of crooks!!! Never have anything to do with them cause if they are willing to steal like this goodness only knows what else they'll be willing to steal.