Citizens Equity First Credit Union / Auto loan/collections department

1 Peoria, IL, United States

If I could give this company a 0 star, I would base off of its customer service alone. However, as it stands and because I did get a quick and satisfactorily assistance on my account from one of the collections managers, Troy, I am willing to give this company at least a star.
When I first signed for the auto loan from this bank, I opted to pay my account online as that is much more convenient for me (and it’s a plus that I’m helping to save loads of papers). The first few months of payments was fine until CEFCU decided to introduce this “middle step” of a CEFCU savings account, which I would need to transfer my car payment from my bank account to this “savings” account, wait a day and then transfer from this “savings” account to the actual car payment. I wasn’t aware that I had to transfer manually the next day, thus I was nabbed with delinquent payments for two months. I then decided to just authorize an ACH withdrawal, so I would not have to deal with any of these headaches. I was told that I would not be able to do an ACH until I brought my account up to date, which I had proceeded to do along with instructing the person who was processing the ACH request to change my due date from the 10th of every month to the 22nd.
Months later and I get these letters from CEFCU saying that I am now delinquent of $400+ plus almost $67 in late fees! Now, one with even a small midge of brain cells would be able to connect the dots and think – now, how was it that I became delinquent with ACH withdrawals per month? I asked myself the same exact question. I then proceeded to call CEFCU collections center regarding this very confusing issue and was basically given the run around about my supposedly delinquent account. The first person to “help” me (if you can even call it that), Lindsey, mentioned that I never called to change my due date from the 10th to the 22nd, thus my account has been accruing these late payments because I’ve technically paid past my “due date” the past couple of months. How was that possible when I scheduled my ACH withdrawals on the 22nd? Who would be stupid enough to do that if my payments were really due the 10th? She then told me that I had an outstanding balance of $21.98, which again I questioned as how was I able to set up an ACH withdrawal with CEFCU if I hadn’t been “up-to-date” as they had stated? And I would have appreciated a letter way earlier in the stage of doing the ACH withdrawal that I had an unpaid balance. Had I known, I would have paid it off without accruing these damnable late charges from the bank. Lindsey then proceeded to put me on hold and then hung up on me. I called again, unfortunately, and got a hold of the most incompetent agent I’ve ever had the misfortune to speak do. Unfortunately, I didn’t really catch her name, but this very rude and incompetent person proceeded to tell me that I missed a payment even though I insisted (based off of the statements from my bank account) that all the months have been accounted for. She then told me to call my bank and get copies of the “checks” sent from my bank to CEFCU. At the moment, I was so shocked by her incompetency and ignorance as I was well aware that each and every payment made by me to CEFCU was either through online payments or automatic withdrawals from my bank account, which do not involve checks of any forms as they are all ACH withdrawals. She also sounded really patronizing to me and I told her so. She then informed me rather rudely that she also didn’t like the attitude that I was giving her. Excuse me lady, but you’re the one who’s calling me a liar and telling me that I missed a payment and I’m the one with the attitude? Zero customer service skills from this one.
I then called again and was finally given the help needed from another collections agent, Sergio and then finally Troy. I paid the damnable outstanding balance and settled with the two late payment fees from CEFCU. After I pay off the car, I’m never dealing with CEFCU again. I had to go through so many hoops and bad customer service before getting the help I needed.

So