Citizens Bank - Pennsylvania / customers are people too!

PA, United States

Citizens Bank has been the worst banking experience of my life! Frist of all I have never had a bank where I had to have so many debit cards in my life due to bank error and wait almost 2 weeks to get a new card. Constantly I had “debit card fraud” ok how is it that your customers information is constantly leaking out! So after a number of events the bank advised me to open a new account and I did. I opened the new account but, in the meantime fees accrued on the old fraudulent account and the bank said that they would only give me back half the fees and I was responsible for the rest. WHY? I had nothing to do with fraud on my account, and I had no idea that the customer service representative would not be placing a to be closed status on my account to stop all activity and fees. To be honest I think that all she was concerned about was opening a new account to make her quota, not at all being concerned about her customers wellbeing. So some weeks go pass, and I see that fees are being accrued on an account that I thought was inactive. I call the customer service number and I speak with a lady that says well we will give you some fees back but it was your responsibility to keep track of your account so we will not give them all back. OK when I went to the branch and spoke with the customer service representative I felt comfortable to assume that she would do her job and handle both accounts in a manner that would be the most beneficial to me. So the account was placed on a “credit only status” so that I could make periodic deposits to clear out the negative balance.
In the mean time I kept receiving letters in the mail so I called and spoke to a lady in the recovery department we go back and forth on payment options and she explains that the account has been 43 day in the negative and at 60 it would be charged off. I tell her that I do not have the money right now and I did not know that I was on a 60 day timeline to pay off the account. She says “well pay what you can and if you get any money between now and the 60 days you should pay it off” I end the conversation with ok well I get paid two times before then I will see what I can do. She says “ok I will make a note of it” . I explained to the representative that is was very important to me to pay off the debt and the money that was in my account was already accounted for with pending checks and check card authorizations. She said she understood but if the account was still in the negative after 60 days then the recovery department had the right to pull any money that was available I said ok I will work on it before that date. The next morning I sign into online banking to see that my account had been debited to clear out the negative balance in the old account. Words can’t describe the emotions that I am feeling now, all trust has been broken. I now have checks and check card authorizations coming in on top of the fact that I have personal living expense that I have to handle. I can’t believe that a bank that I have direct deposit set up in and other automatic reoccurring debits would do something so underhanded. I had two pays that they could have taken from but they chose to make it hard and make themselves more money by possibly getting more fees from other NSF checks . It is really sad what banking has come to in order to make money, no concern for customers or having a long last banking relationship with their customers, just how much money in fees can we get! Well there are not many options for 5 star banks today but I will make sure to share my story with every person, bank, review site (BBB, etc) that will hear me!