Citizens Bank / overdraft fees

1 MA, United States Review updated:

I have had my Citizens account for over a decade. I have been unemployed for 6 months in this economy and barely getting by. It is a struggle. In the past week, due to my unemployment check getting posted a day late, Citizens allowed 7 charges to go thru for gasoline ($27), groceries ($55), Walgreens ($8), and 4 other charges all of less than $25. I was charged a $39 overdraft fee for each and every one of them totalling $234 and a total of over $300 in the past week. That is nearly one-half of my unemployment check! I asked why they allowed the charges to go thru and they said "With the small amount of each charge, we see it as a customer service to allow them to pass" - even though they charge ME more than any of the charges actually were! Now I don't have enough in my account for my child support check. What a rip-off!! And they refused to credit any of those charges back! THEN they offer me an application for overdraft protection, that they turn down because I have "insufficient income".

Comments

• Ro
      20th of Aug, 2009

dont spend what you dont have, and you will not have this problem, how do u expect to spend banks money and not get charged for it, helloooooo... bank would have never charged you if you hadnt spend more than what u have, and read the account agreement that u were given when u opened the account,

• Al
      21st of Oct, 2009

i overdrafted my citizens account for 137 dollars on oct 13, citizens removed 4 transactions from the previous week and put them into hold status and used my one overdraft to charge me for 5 overdrafts- then put the transactions right back in
    they were already posted, when i called they said that they were not posted that they dont post till night time, all my citizens tranbsactions post early in the am, they were nasty with me
    horrible bank and they steal from the people that are broke

• Tc
      21st of Oct, 2009

A major problem with Citizens is their policy to post debits largest amount to smallest. If there are any errors this will maximize the number of fees charged.

Further, the bank industry as a whole has stopped declining use of debit cards for insufficient funds, as was the practice when they were first issued a few years back. I was never aware of that policy change until an NPR report last week.

Dave Ramsey calls this stupid tax... but come on! What ever happened to fair business? Help your neighbor? (greed, that's what)

Greedy businessmen deserve class action law suits. It's the Unions of the new era. And it's a shame.

• Mi
      15th of Dec, 2009

Citizens bank are ###.. they just dinged me for 234 today ... and got me before for more about 5 months ago.. i had 82.00 in my savings and the TOTAL of all the 6 transactions was 87.00 ..so none of it transfers over..funny how they see the total as one number and the overdrafts as indivicual ones.. if i had moved that over myself yesterday it would have only been 1 fee... I hope they rot in hell, the loser wimp customer service manager, somehow .. Talk about road rage, , this is much worse!

• Re
      27th of Dec, 2009

Hi ! Citizens Bank just stole over $400 dollars from me - 2 days before Christmas nonetheless.Everyone at the bank and from customer service could care less about me and my situation. Anyways, I would like to be invovled if you do any legal action. Please feel free to contact me [email protected]

• Gi
      9th of Jan, 2010

rbepa333, the ssame thing happened to me on christmas eve and the reps laughed at me. I asked for thier corporate office and the kid laughed even harder saying "good luck walking into a corporate office and speaking with someone." I asked for the address and it ws the one 4 blocks away from my house. I told the kid, "check my address on your screen and the address you just gave me." whose laughing now? But I have a formal complaint and will jump on any lawsuit as there are laws which govern the extensive bank fees. They shouldn't pay out what is not in the acct.

• Ea
      19th of Jan, 2010

I would ask that all of you take Citizens Bank to Small Claims court and that way they will have to send a lawyer or representative to court to defend themselves in this abusive practice. They may try to settle with you and if they don't and enough of us take them to court it will improve the chances of a class action lawsuit as was done by a judge in Miami Florida against Wachovia aka Wells Fargo. These abusive practices on THE PEOPLE AND THEIR MONEY need to be stopped. We should set up our own Banks and get rid of all these thugs that are ripping us off. TAKE THEM TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT AND GET THEM IN THEIR POCKETS FOR TIME AND LEGAL FEES.
    ELLEN
    RHODE ISLAND

• Aw
      21st of Jan, 2010

I use online banking, I receive direct deposit and I am constantly checking up on my online banking. I stop at the ATM today and notice I am suddenly negative 240.00. WOW. yesterday I checked my account and I had POSITIVE 59.00? Not only was the customer service representative extremely rude she didn't even actually listen, simply told me to get overdraft protection and shes sorry. Sorry for... what...? I am a struggling college student and you say sorry for screwing me over? because you HELD all fees until it was up to 240.00. Horrible company.

• Al
      9th of Feb, 2010

i too had a citizens acct. they got me for 500.00 and up per year, for almost 5 years. at first i thought it was a bonus too me that they paid what wasn't there ha ha jokes on me and i am out a total of about 2500.00 dollars .then they added the you carried an overdraft or 10 days or more fee of another 37.00 bucks.if there is a lawsuit, I WANT IN.

• De
      9th of Feb, 2010

I would love to get on board the lawsuit.
    We were just hit with 7 overdraft fees totaling $273.00.
    All processed on 02/3 the same day a deposit processed but the debits were applied before the credit, deposit which was far more than the debits.
    Let me know how I get on board on this class action suit.

15th of Feb, 2010

I would love to know more. They have been screwing me for awhile and i didnt think there was anything i could do. I have many different sanarios in which they have done so.

• Rk
      16th of Feb, 2010

I had a debit on Friday 2.12 that was actually in the Transaction History and was pulled from the Transaction History to the Outstanding Authorizations and Funds on Hold and then set for tomorrow’s date 2.17. This was to clear way for a larger charge that cleared today so the bank could get double the overdraft fees.
    Unfortunately I did not take a screen shot on Friday to show the correct charges.
    I just got off the phone with the company being paid and they have emailed me a receipt showing that the payment was actually on Friday 2.12.
    This is not do to living above my income but is the bank playing games with deposits and with withdrawals to increase their overdraft fee income.

SAY NO TO CITIZENS!!!

I would like to join any class action possible.

• Sh
      16th of Feb, 2010

I can see that there has been a lawsuit filed against Citizens by someone in Goffstown NH. Does anyone know if the rest of us who have been screwed by Citizens overdraft practices will be entitled to any settlement?...or know how we can get our share from Citizens??

18th of Feb, 2010

I messed up this week. I deposited a check on Saturday thinking it was going to clear on Monday but forgeting that Monday was a holiday and a non-banking day. Well, after paying eleven bills online I found myself with eleven overdraft charges on Wednesday. That's $429 that I gave to Citizens bank all because I forgot my check wouldn't clear until after the holiday. Had my check cleared I would have had more than enough to clear my bills but this did not matter to anyone I spoke with. It seems to me their should be a cap on how many overdraft charges a bank can give for this type of mistake. Eleven!!!

• Br
      23rd of Feb, 2010

My Grand mother just got screwed out of over $300 dollars, and if she doesnt pay it in five days they will add another $39.99 to the fee, and another $39.99 fee in the next five days from that. She ended up using her ATM card for renting a couple of movies from red box at $1.00 each not knowing she had unnsuffient funds. As well as stopping by the dollar tree to pick up a couple of other things. All together ended up spending around $30 dollars . Well for every transaction she did she had to pay a $40 dollar overdraft fee and now is looking to pay over $300 because of it. She gets social security money which is directly deposited to here account and is her only income, that covers for her medications, rent, and living expenses, and now she is going to lose over half of it this month just because of one days misundersting and forgot she had no little to no money left.

Isn't there any protection for senior citizens? From what she told me they were only suppose to charge her a $5.oo fee, but the rep told me that the rules have changed and that she should of got a letter in the mail telling her so, even though she never did.

So I dont know what to do or who to go to. I find this to be insane considering the bank will not do anything to at all for her. The least they should do is wave a single fee. I was willing to help her and pay but i can't imagine so many other people that might of got robbed by Citizen and have no one to help them. So thats why I am on here. I want her voice and case to be heard. So no one else has to go through this injustice, especially those on fixed incomes. So if theres a lawsuit going on, or any way to fight this, please contact me at [email protected]

• Ga
      23rd of Feb, 2010

I had a 4.70 overdraft fee and they made me deposit my 400 pay check. i called the next day, and they took the 69 over draft fee from which i got from the the 4.70 somehow and i had about 330 left. I got my gf a bracelet from nordstroms where i work for 149.00 and went to gamestop for 50.00. leaving around 130.00 than i got food which took it down to around 110.00 and i called to check the balance and it said 70.00! than i got a notice in the mail saying i didnt have enough money to cover the intial fee? i deposited 400 how isnt that enough and theres record of them taking it out. so i bought more food and had 59 left. I went to the bank and they couldnt help me, they said a manager would call me, so i deposited my lowsy 300.00 check and they said for securty reasons, i have could only get 50 cash and deposit the rest. i went home to make sure my balance was still 59.00 and it was gone, and i called customer sevice and they hung up on me! so i called agian the guy couldnt explain to me anything and had on idea were the 59.00 went and said to call back tommorow.now i cant go out to eat tonight for my girlfriends 2 year anneversery and i down a nice 140.00 from a 4.00 noverdraft which i paid! i have i could have vengance on them anyway i could i would but im only 18 i cant file a lawsuit agianst them. i hardly make any money and the try to take advantage of me because im young and screw me over. i hate citezens bank and hope they burn in hell =] if anyone has any idea of how to get any money at all back please email me at [email protected]

24th of Feb, 2010

The bank has switched transactions in order to charge additional overdaft fees on numerous occasions

• Gr
      6th of Mar, 2010

Citizen Bank is charging $40.00 for overdraft fee an a service charge of $38.00 . Which is a total of $78.00 dollars if you go over. Last month I got charged $78.00 for being .04 cents over drawn. This month I was charged again $78.00 for overdraft and service charges. I'm a 65 yr. old widow with diabetus and asthma. Now I can't afford to get my insulin. Please can anyone help me

• Re
      6th of Mar, 2010

I wish I could offer you an advice in your favor but if I'm reading this right, it sounds like you have a bad habit of overdrafting your account. I've had an account with Citizens years ago and they're able to waive the fees as a one time courtesy but they can't help you if you can't help yourself. You need to take better care of your physical and financial health.

Ask a supervisor to see if they're able to extend a courtesy waiver. If they can't: Pay your debt before you switch to another bank or credit union. Do your homework. Most places will state there is no "monthly service charge" but there may be miscellaneous charges like check orders, etc. Keep a register booklet like Maggie said.

I hope your doctor gives you a big discount on your insulin but seek alternative therapeutic solutions at the same time. Eat better exercise and take your vitamins too. Good luck.

• Fi
      6th of Mar, 2010

Don't spend more than what you have. That will eliminate any and all overdraft fees/charges. Granted, that seems extremely excessive, BUT, if you watch your money, know what you have available, do not spend more than what you have, you will not present them with the opportunity to charge you any overdraft/insufficient funds charges.