Citicard / Fraud Processing

United States Review updated:
In August, I noticed a $361.00 charge on my account that I did not make. I had been at the Merchant during the time the transaction was made, but I didn't make it. I immediately called CitiCard to report the activity as fraud and have them reissue my card. They started and investigation and received a package of information from the merchant. The package included copies of 2 sales receipts. I am not disputing one of the charges which clearly have my signature on the receipt. However, the second does not. The name signed isn't even my name. CitiCard sent me a letter stating they needed more detail to why I'm disputing the charge ... more than the fact that I've already told them that I didn't make it and it has a different name on the credit card slip. The letter they sent stated they needed a reply by 11/20. I wasn't able to reply until 11/21. They're now telling me that since I didn't respond by 11/20 they have closed the case and I'm liable for the charge. I can't believe what the fraud representative told me ... btw she also said that signatures on sales slips aren't required or used. I'm still going to fight this since per reading the FTCs website which states ...

Reporting Losses and Fraud

Comments

Bo
  6th of Oct, 2009
You are correct, "By law, once you report the loss or theft, you have no further responsibility for unauthorized charges. In any event, your maximum liability under federal law is $50 per card." However, you didn't report loss or theft... you reported a dispute. That is a different thing entirely.

Your correct course of action would have to been to report the credit card number stolen then filled out a declaration of unauthorized use (affidavit).

On the billing dispute, if you would have called back they should have advised you write in requesting the dispute to reopened (calling does not preserve your dispute rights), however they may not have given you a conditional credit, but the amount would have been exempt from finance charges.
He
  24th of Mar, 2010
Okay, Citicard just cut me a deal on my credit card payements. I recieved a certified letter sent to my house. And if I pay within 90 days then I am in the clear. I am trying to figure out if this is a scam.