Citibank / no charges return

1 India Review updated:

I regret to inform you that your department is charging interest, Late Payment fee, and the Service charges since last March 2006 on an amount which I have no concern or liable to pay.

I or my son had never applied for the loan. In the past I had received one call for pre-approved loan, which I had never applied. I had asked the concern officer to provide me details. Instead of providing me details you have send me the cheque, which was returned by me at your Kolkata branch. You have returned the cheque but not the charges.

When you are providing a Loan to a person, he must be given full details of the loan. Before it is sent to the person. Without giving any details how you can send the loan amount.

My son has met your office many times and he was assured that the entire amount charged by you, will be reversed. But till writing of this letter you are charging my account as usual.

I request you to withdraw your charges immediately as neither you had paid any amount nor I had received the same or ordered.

Bank details:
Citibank N A,
Mail Room, Shakti Towers,
766 Anna Salai Post Office,
Chennai - 600002

• carmen marianovich's Response, Sep 02, 2017

Uruguay legalized the use of marihuana as a way to stop the criminal activity of the narco traffickers. This measure was voted by the majority of the citizens of a democratic country, Uruguay. Citibank is helping the criminal drug cartels by penalizing the legal stores selling marihuana and the banks.

• Garland Frye's Response, Sep 01, 2018

if you have employees named Pablo, chris (fm), kala, they are worthless. this date I was constantly transferred and disconnected when trying to find out how to register a credit card. i'll never use citi because of them.

Ba

Comments

• As
      1st of Jun, 2007

Pal,

Do not settle for anything, verify lawyers credentials and do not worry read the full mail below and visit the sites I have given and share this knowledge - THIS IS CRUCIAL.

Good Luck

New Delhi - 110001
    Tel No. 011-23725219/23710882/23725445
    Fax No. 011-23725218
    email: bonewdelhi@rbi.org.in

Next go online and file a case online at

http://www.bcsalliance.com/x_creditcardtricks1.html [ full info on credit cards ]

Tactics Credit Card Companies Use to Get You to Pay More

Although the credit card industry earns more than one trillion every year, they aren't satisfied with that, and have adopted dubious tactics to further fatten their wallets. Late and over-the-limit fees now account for more than half of their revenues, so they like to encourage or trick customers into paying some sort of penalty fee. And they are now only getting away with it, but they keep raising their fees up and up -- just a few years ago a penalty fee was about $10. Now the average is $29.00. Consumer groups estimate that soon these fees will average $59.00.

Late and over-the-limit fees are not the only methods companies use to rake in trillions each year. There are also the credit insurance programs, universal default policies, dishonest marketing campaigns and other stupid card tricks. Many of the major issuers -- First USA (now Chase), Chase, Capital One, Providian (now owned by Washington Mutual), Citibank -- have been sued over allegations of unfair billing practices and accused of blatantly using tactics to cheat customers out of money. Some of these tactics are outlined below.

Not posting your payment on the day it's received -- Federal law requires credit card companies to post your payment on the date it is received. If they fail to do so, they cannot assess you late charges or added finance charges. Still, a common tactic most card issuers use is to post only those payments received by 9:00 a.m. or 3:00 p.m. on a given date. Payments received at 9:01 a.m. are posted the next day despite the fact that all the major card issuers have payment processing centers that operate 24-hours a day, seven days a week. Best way to fight back: Send in your payment at least 10 days before the due date. If you can't do that for one reason or another, arrange to make your payments electronically by signing up at your credit card issuer's website so you can quickly zap a payment to them and they can't claim that they didn't receive your mailed payment until after the due date. It is interesting to note that almost all of the major credit card banks used to allow customers to quickly zap a payment to them via Paypal.com free of charge. Of course, this must have put a big dent in their late fee revenue so some of them stopped allowing this (Providian and First USA to name two).

Tricking you in to paying late -- Federal law requires that credit card issuers mail you your statement at least two weeks before the due date, so companies have to resort to other tactics to get you to pay late. You know that your credit card payment is due on the 25th of the month, or do you? Your issuer might suddenly change it to the 20th of each month to try and get you to mail it in late. If it's received late, they will slap you with a $39.00 late fee. If it's late two or more times, they can legally increase your interest rate dramatically, to as much as 29%. At various times, several credit card issuers have even resorted to not mailing out statements at all to encourage customers to pay late under the theory that "it is a courtesy that we mail statements out, not a requirement." [First USA actually used that as an excuse once and lost many customers as a result.]. Best way to fight back: Always open your monthly statement immediately upon receipt and check the due date. Don't be surprised if it has suddenly moved up five days and you received your statement "late". You might have to immediately write a check and get it in the mail that day to allow at least seven days for it to get to them before the due date. You don't want it to arrive at 9:01 on the due date do you? If it does, you will be assessed a late fee.

Penalizing you for carrying a big balance -- If you carry a high balance on your credit card month-to-month, don't be surprised if you one day notice a small paragraph on your monthly statement that informs you your interest rate is going to increase from 7% to 28% next month. What the credit card company doesn't tell you when you sign up for the card with the low interest rate is that they almost always raise the interest rate dramatically on people who never pay down a high balance on the credit card or carry big balances with other credit card companies. It doesn't matter to them that you have always paid your bills on time and are never late. You can be a customer of theirs for 20 years and never be late or miss a single payment, but one day they will decide that you are no longer a good customer and raise your rate to 28%. [Citibank is notorious for doing this. Every time I see one of their ads in a magazine or TV about how much they love and respect their customers, I want to throw up.]

Credit card holder wins suit worth Re 1 lakh

The Statesman 29.5.07

Arunima Ghosh
    KOLKATA, May 29: Credit cards may be a status symbol to some but for a vast majority of consumers irregularities in credit card bills can cause a great deal of harassment. The recent victory of a credit card holder against a leading bank will be a boost to such consumers who are regularly harassed by their banks.
    A city consumer court has come down heavily on ICICI bank by slapping a fine of Rs 1 lakh, the highest compensation imposed by the court so far for discrepancy in credit card operations. The court of Calcutta District Forum, Unit-II, president Mr TK Ghosh and members Mr H Bhattacharya and Ms R Acharya pulled up the credit card division of the bank for recovering a loan that was never received by the customer. The bank allegedly asked the consumer to repay loan instalments along with interest including late fees for a loan amounting to Rs 33,500, supposedly issued by the bank, which was neither solicited nor asked for or received by Mr Kalyan Kumar Sur. The court ordered the bank to pay Mr Sur a litigation cost of Rs 5000 along with compensation worth Rs 1 lakh.

Mr Sur was taken by surprise when his credit card statements suddenly displayed interest charges. He complained that bank did not respond to his repeated e-mails when he asked the latter to provide him with loan details. Instead the bank allegedly harassed him further by sending loan collectors to his residence.

The clause 5.1(b) under Reserve Bank of India’s credit card operation guidelines reads: “Unsolicited loan or other credit facility should not be offered to the credit card customers. In case any credit card facility is extended without the consent of the recipient, the credit sponsoring bank will be liable to pay such penalty as may be considered appropriate.” During the court proceedings the bank failed to substantiate with written documents that it had received a loan request from Mr Sur. When contacted ICICI Bank spokesperson in Mumbai said: “We are aware about this case and the bank might appeal before the state commission against the order passed by the city consumer court.”

• Am
      3rd of Sep, 2008

Madame / Sir,

I have first submitted my loan application " Loan against Property" in your Financial Institute at Kakurgachi. The property is my own house built incomplete with whatever finance I earned by working from 1972 to 1994 in India as Project Manager of a TATA Group and from 1997 to 2006 in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia .

After coming back home to India I am self employed and operate a Guest House Business with 2000 Sq Ft covered area in 1st Floor of my house and partly Ground floor of my house. I am the sole proprietor of the business.

I was unable to complete the 2nd floor of the house where only one room, kitchen and atoilet and the remaining space I kept as a hall. Besides I want to also make a shed on the roof top and make it a sort of pent house type.

The entire property is mine and I have submitted upto date papers regarding the same.

My earnings is + Rs. 50, 000/- per month . And I have all payments made i.e IT return, etc.

Since I am 59 years age, and I have a mortgage loan. I prefered to have my son as borrower and me as co-borrower. My son is working in Siemens Ltd in Mumbai and draws Rs. 120, 000 per month. I have also submitted his necessary document.

After going thru the documents, your Bank Officer request me to make a service cheque of Rs. 2000/- which I did.

Now the Bank send 2 valuers to check the premises. One of the valuer writes a report that the whole house is Guest House Business.

Sir, I have a trade license for 2000 sq. ft to be used as Guest house. For which I have also given conversion charges from residential premises to be used as commercial only for 2000 sq. ft. However the remaining around 2500 sq.ft I am using as my residence. We have separte entrance and I wonder how bank gives loan for purchase of South City premises Flat where part of the complex is commercial and part is resdential.

It is clearly written on my Trade licence of Guest house that I operate that 2000 sq. ft is only converted from residential to commercial use only. But then your Valuator was shown only to value the residential part and not the guest house part. But then that foolish guy writes a wrong information to the bank that my whole house is guest house. And so I did not get my loan.

I think neither your bank officer nor the valuator understand the word loan. To a Bank loan is nothing but a product. But then your people feel they are favoring clients like us. It should be a SHAME FOR A BANK LIKE THAT OF YOURS " SO CALLED CITI BANK".

Say, if I go to a Doctor who tells me I am having Cancer, and then I checked another doctor who say it is only a stomach pain and if the second diagonisis is correct, i.e., stomach pain, should I take cancer medicines?

Similarly Citi Bank is that Doctor which tells my residential house is having Cancer. What is this.

I request you to review the entire matter. Either your Bank officers and valuator have something back in their mind, some extra benefits or else it is a Rubbish decision of Citi Bank .

Sir I have done my Quality Management from Juran Institute of Quality Management from USA, I really feel Citi Bank Kolkata is not upto the mark of todays modern life.

They are a bunch of fools only interested in getting Rs. 2000/- per customer as service charge and doing nothing.

Citi Bank Management must review the matter as a customer complaint in practical verification and not by pages of record submitted by the valuer who is just a kid.

In fact I have ket a photocopy of what the Citi bank valuator measured in my house will be self explanatory.

Sir I am a consultant to a NAVARATNA company in India called National Aluminum Co. NALCO. I am doing their Industrial Bench Scale Research.

Please take care of customers otherwise you will loose a lot of business in case you go by the words of your hired valuator, who are a nobish lot I have ever seen in my life.

OK sorry for this long note . My Mobile is 9238308764

• Am
      3rd of Sep, 2008

a big zero

• Gr
      28th of Feb, 2011

I had a SEARS Credit Card through Citi Bank with a balance of just over $1, 000.00. Due to the economy I was unable to make the payments and the account went into collections. After some time it was turned over to the law offices of Hunt and Henriques in San Jose and they took me to court and received a judgement of $1, 899.50, that was almost twice the original amount. They just filed a Levy through the Lake County Sheriff's department on my checking account and have effectively taken every penny I have.

Since I have been trying to get caught up on my rent I had scraped up enough to make a payment to my landlord and other basic expenses so I can continue to look for work. Now with the Levy we stand a good chance of being tossed out into the street and living in our car.

I tried to contact the Sheriff to see if an arrangement could be made to make payments but they were unable to set up such an arrangement and it can only be done through the Law Office of Hunt and Henriques.

I then called Hunt and Henriques and talked with Nick Posner and let him know my situation and how devastating the economy has been to us over the past four years and he did not care and took the stance of a typical debt collector and told me that there was nothing he wanted to do to help in this situation.

I then went and tried to find a contact person with Citi Bank but was unable to find any numbers that would get me beyond the menu to speak with someone. I'm sure that Citi Bank would not care either and would let me know that it is out of their hands.

The moral of the story is not to use credit in this economy. If you are in debt and facing collection actions keep your money out of the banks or Credit Unions and just use cash. Just like the Sheriff of Nottingham your local sheriff's office will come and take every penny that you have to pay the bank and your bank will let them.

• Vi
      9th of Jan, 2017

Excellent Service, Fast Approval, Easy Application Process

I had a great experience with Faircent when I applied for a personal loan recently. The service is really nice and approval process is very quick. Once all the necessary documentations are submitted, and I scheduled a call with them to verify the information, then all the approval process went fast as what we have been expected. The support team is very patient about all my questions and gave me the explanation in detail. I would certainly recommend you this lender when you are in need.

27th of Jan, 2017

I was able to get a loan on a much lesser interest rate for my immediate requirement of paying college fee for my daughter. I thank Faircent for their help and quick processing. I had a pleasant experience despite the difficulty confirming my income which was largely my issue. I was kept abreast of every stage in the loan process. I would recommend their services.

15th of Aug, 2018
    Citibank - Credit Card
    Cliffside Park
    New Jersey

the service reps are very rude.
    one of them personally attacked me and called me a liar, which I really wasn't.
    I was just calling to ask for a late payment fee to be waived as a courtesy.
    i really don't know if that was so much to ask...

• Ed
      1st of Sep, 2018
    Citibank - Bank Account
    Vashi,Navi Mumbai
    India
    citibank.co.in

Dear Sir,

Citi bank dose not allow Indians to open an NRI account without having a Utility Bill( i should have a flat in Dubai). This Utility bill is not a mandatory document for other bank like SBI, Axis Bank.

Why is citi bank having a special rule, when all these bank comes under RBI ???

• Mi
      1st of Sep, 2018
    Citibank - citi kyc department

I am royal CITIbank customer since 1998. But I am thinking to switch to Chase to other bank because KYC department as Know Your Customer department.
    They bug me hell and call me every month to have same questions over and over.

4th of Sep, 2018
    Citibank - customer service
    Flushing
    New York

Today 11/25/2017 saturday went to citibank at 10:00 am to deposit check and cash, employee took check, and said cannot deposit cash of $250 because his machine is not working, he need machine to calculate $250, what kind bank is this, who canot calculate $250 doller without machine, location 176 and union tunpike, flushing newyork, 11366

• Dh
      5th of Sep, 2018
    Citibank - citibank debit card - fradulent atm withdrawal
    India

I have been using this Citibank debit card since 2011 and tonight I suddenly heard few beeps in my mobile and found that my debit card has been used to withdraw whatever left money in my savings account. I immediately called Citibank customer to block the card and raised a complaint . Request you to look into the complaint and fo the needful

• Da
      10th of Sep, 2018
    Citibank - online banking

The tech support could not explain why my app has lost the deposit function.
    I called several times, the problem unsolved. I prefer to do my banking in the other bank after the bad experience.

• Ga
      11th of Sep, 2018
    Citibank - credit card service
    Winchester
    Virginia

• Ca
      18th of Sep, 2018
    Citibank - stop penalizing legal stores selling marihuana in uruguay.
    Bethesda