Citi Cards / Beware

I had another frustrating experience with Citibank today. I am a student, I have a good credit score of 700+. I was so impressed with reviews of the mtvU card and convinced myself to apply.

A week later I received a letter from Citibank that they need me to provide some documents for verification of enrolment, which I did.

Another week later in the early hours, I received a call from one of the citicard representative, she asked me to send fax a copy of my university id card again. She inquired whether my id card has any barcode on it. I said no, and she convinced me to fax it anyhow. She has given me the fax number [protected] and suggested me to fax before 12:00AM that day. I've sent the fax, that very day from my office after 8:00PM in the evening.

After two hours, when I checked my mail, they have sent me a mail regarding the application mentioning «as they couldn't verify the information I’ve provided they're rejecting my application". This is the second time I had such an experience with Citicard.

Earlier I’ve applied for Citi Platinum Dividend in July 2007, they rejected my application for the same reason, although I was in a different university in full-time status.

Both the times, my credit score was stunted to 610 -620 for my rejection. I've supplied all the information they asked me for. I don't suggest Citicard for any one. It's one of the worst financial institution I’ve ever witnessed, I think the employees don't even work. I've no doubt, it's soon filing for bankruptcy.

Beware Citibank and its Subsidiaries.

Va

Comments

• Te
      15th of Dec, 2009
    Citi Cards - Bad business experience
    Citi Cards

After having my Exxon Mobile account for quite some time, and never making a late payment, or being over the limit, I was "rewarded" by an finance charge increase from 11% to 25%. I promptly called to "opt out" of this increase, which caused CitiBank to close my account. Now that my account is closed, even though there is a balance due, I have been blocked from looking at old statements on-line, emailing customer service, etc. Also, I had a rebate balance on my account which was taken back by Citibank. The only reason I opened this account was for the .15 per gallon rebate from Exxon Mobile. I plan to never do business with Citibank again.

• Ci
      26th of Sep, 2010
    Citi Cards - continuing charges
    New York
    New York

In an attempt to cancel an eHarmony account, which everyone knows is impossible, I choose to cancel the credit card I had used. Citi Bank told me that I could be charged for another 30 days and here is the real news and they say this applies to all credit cards - if you have a subscription or monthly charge the seller or merchant can pay your credit card company and get your new card number, so they can continue to charge you. BEWARE!!! I canceled my card totally and we'll see what happens.

• Ca
      28th of Apr, 2011
    Citi Cards - Raised rate
    Citi Bank
    Maryland

I was a good consumer/customer of Citi Cards for many years. I paid my card before the due date on line and paid more than the minimum due. Then just before the CARD Act went into affect they upped my rate from 12.99% to 29.99%. I refused to pay the new rate so they put me into a program where I got a rate of 7% for a year only if they took the money directly from my checking account. After which time they would review my account and lead me to believe that I would get a reasonable rate after the year. Turns out that after the year they closed my account and put my rate back to 29.99%. I told them I will not pay one thin dime on this account. I want a fair rate because they had no call to do me the way they did. They have called a couple times and no one will give me a rate quote until I tell them how much I want to pay. I told them that doesn't matter how much I can pay. I want a fair rate and if you don't want to work with me, then send me into collections and then we'll see how much you get. It's time for consumers to fight back against these credit card companies who have been taking advantage of their customers for years. Carol from Maryland

• Su
      28th of Apr, 2011

Regarding not cutting off your nose... Yeah, seriously. Carol, you're right to be angry, but you need to pick a different fight -- this is one you'll lose.

• Mo
      18th of Oct, 2011
    Citi Cards - Stay away from this one
    CITI Cards

I got a bill for Dec from CITI and it had a new balance of *, ***.** due by 1/9/2010. I payed exactly *, ***.** and they got it 12/30/2009. Now I am getting a bill for 34.44 and citi said it is for interest. I called their call center and went around for about an hour with them. They told me that they charged interest daily on the amount. I asked what I should have paid on dec bill so I would have payed them in full and they told me *, ***.** I told them that is what I payed. The rep finally said yes there should be no charge but there is nothing she can do she can not credit financial charges so I just have to pay it. I don't want to pay what I don't owe and I want this over and done with this company.