Circle K Stores / would not allow me to use foodstamp card

Aliquippa, Pennsylvania, PA, United States Review updated:

At approximately 1:35 pm Saturday, December 16th I entered the Circle K (2105 Sheffield rd. Aliquippa, Pa) to grab a bag of ice. When I attempted to purchase the ice with my debit card, my debit card was declined. So I attempted to use my Foodstamp card. Again, my card was declined. I just used my Foodstamp card, so I know that I had funds on the card, so I slid the card again. The card was again declined followed by two more attempts to slide the card to no avail. The cashier (no name tag, under 30 red hair) stated that the card is not working, I told her that she is doing something wrong and to call her manager out so that she can assist me. The manager proceeded to slide the card 9 times before saying, "The EBT is down". At this point, I slide my Foodstamp card over fifthteen times, to no avail, so I payed with my debit card, which worked properly this time. I believe both the cashier and store manager (no name tags, manager over 30, obese, unkept appearance, blonde hair) did not want to allow me, a black male, to use my Foodstamp s in their store. I demand some answers and I will forward this grievance to the EEOC and the BBC until I am met with a satisfactory adjudication of this grievance. Thank you.

Jr
Dec 16, 2017

Comments

• Mi
      Dec 16, 2017

Why would anyone care as to you being a black male? What does anyone at that store have stake with you buying ice with an ebt card? They said the ebt system was down, so it was down. If they have something against black males, as you seem to imply, they would want you out of the store ASAP, but instead it sounds like they tried themselves to make it work. So if the system wasn't working properly, even if E.T. tried to use his ebt card, it wasn't going to work. Keep it real.

•   Dec 16, 2017

You tried to buy ICE with food stamps!??? Are you insane??? Food stamps are government assistance to help people buy food. Ice is not food. I’d have reported you for abuse of the system. If you can’t afford a dollar bag of ice, you have no business expecting US to pay for it. I hope you do file grievances so they can yank your card for food stamps

•   Dec 17, 2017

What does race have anything to do with it!?!? Why?! My husband is a black male and I am a white woman. I have NEVER seen people turn their nose up at us. I think you're just being paranoid. The EBT card was down. What are you doing getting foodstamps, anyway? You're a man. Go to work!

•   Dec 17, 2017

@aja1jenkz Too many people play the race card these days. Sure, discrimination exists. But refusing to let you buy ice with food stamps is not a race issue, it’s abuse of the system and rules If they allowed it and were caught, they’d be fined and lose their ability to accept food stamps.

@SubSquirrel Err not you —- her