Circle K Stores / I am just in complete shock

1 Austin, CO, United States

Tammy MUnguiaTammy MUnguia, Woods Of Brushy Creek

I am shaken to the core today at what I just witnessed at the Circle K in my neighborhood ( Corner of Cornerwood and 620). Store had about 7 people in it. I was second in line to this Hispanic man who was trying to pay $50 for his $16 purchase the man at counter said sorry I don't have change. I said let me go to my car and see if I have change. I forgot my wallet. He said thanks for checking so his friend put all his stuff and he said I'll pay for him too and the little Guy behind counter said he still doesn't have change for you. So they left. I said I can't believe it's afternoon and you don't have $20 in your register. He said oh I don't but don't want his money he's Mexican. I said what did you say. He said Mexicans are dirtiest people on earth. I said I am so offended by what you just said my husband and kids are Mexicans and he said well sorry they are dirtiest people and I don't want their money. I am just Shook to the CORE. My heart hurts. #wanthimfired #noroomforhate #hemakesmesick

1d ago · 24 neighborhoods in General
ThankReplyReply

Mustafa Mohamedali
Mustafa Mohamedali, Woods Of Brushy Creek·1d ago
To everyone else, my sincere apologies for the eruption. Not looking to start a juvenile flame war. Just momentarily incensed at the impertinence of the question.
I will resist responding, as I believe the point is made, and doesn't need any more input.
Eric Davis
Eric Davis, Meadows Of Brushy Creek·1d ago
Circle-K Complaints Board with customer support phone numbers by region:

Tim Kelley, Woods Of Brushy Creek·Edited 1d ago
It reminds me of the old Bonanza episode where the eastern Asian guy is trying to buy stuff for his son's birthday party, and they did have it in stock, but wouldn't sell it to him because of his ethnicity. Of course, that scene took place in the 1800s.
Angela Connally
Angela Connally, Woods Of Brushy Creek·1d ago
So sorry...
Valarie Sherriff, Meadows Of Brushy Creek·1d ago
"Sue" do you realize how many households nextdoor reaches???! But YOU decide there is a comment limit?
Xenia DeVaney
Xenia DeVaney, Woods Of Brushy Creek·1d ago
Kindness matters ALL the time.
Eric Davis
Eric Davis, Meadows Of Brushy Creek·1d ago
Tammy MUnguia, Woods Of Brushy Creek·1d ago
It didn't go well. When I got there I described the whole event in detail and he said "I don't really like that", not sure what that means. And then he acted like it was more of an inconvenience than anything and he asked "do y'all know anyone that needs a job?" Because not having to work extra shifts is more important to him than firing a racist employee? And then he said "well I can't make a decision on the spot". So overall I'm not sure he's going to do anything about it but I told him I will not quit until action is taken and that man is no longer working there. I will give them until Wednesday
Tim Kelley, Woods Of Brushy Creek·1d ago
Maybe he's reasoning that it's better to at least serve the white people, than to serve nobody at all (i.e. if he fires him and doesn't have a replacement).
Angie Shook
Angie Shook, Woods Of Brushy Creek·23h ago
I was there right behind you. I have also contacted corporate office yesterday. Have not heard back but will continue. If you need me to go with you to talk with them I will. He actually said Mexicans are gross. My mouth fell to the floor.
Tammy MUnguia, Woods Of Brushy Creek·23h ago
@angi. Said he said gross the 3rd time. First two times he said dirtiest people
Anita Parrish
Anita Parrish, Avery Ranch/Brushy Creek·22h ago
Absolutely unacceptable. Thank you for speaking up. I will be calling the store to ask what action is being taken. As for those with a nonchalant response about this overt racism I leave you with this quote. "Privilege is when you think that something's not a problem because it's not a problem for you personally..." David Gaider.
Valarie Sherriff, Meadows Of Brushy Creek·22h ago
Tammy, I just shared your experience on Circle K's facebook page
Valarie Sherriff, Meadows Of Brushy Creek·22h ago
Tammy, I also shared it on my FB page and Twitter. Social Media is powerful
Tim Kelley, Woods Of Brushy Creek·22h ago
To tell the truth, I had put it on my facebook page yesterday, but nobody has shared it.
Tim Kelley, Woods Of Brushy Creek·22h ago
I just looked at their facebook page (the one at Cornerwood has their specific facebook page). I see no mention of the incident.
Tammy MUnguia, Woods Of Brushy Creek·22h ago
It has been shared 126 times. I think we are good Tim. Owner has already called me this morning. Missed his call will be talking to him soon.
Tim Kelley, Woods Of Brushy Creek·21h ago
Oh, I see... it was sent to the state level facebook group, not the one specific to that branch.
Brooke Hailey
Brooke Hailey, Stone Canyon·20h ago
Kudos to you for fighting this injustice!! Spreading the word to stop business there until something is done to remove this horrible person working there.
Valarie Sherriff, Meadows Of Brushy Creek·20h ago
I didn't put it on the local page, Tim.
Joanna Weaver
Joanna Weaver, Avery Ranch/Brushy Creek·20h ago
I posted this thread to FB and twitter. Our neighbors are in an uproar. I hope we really do something here. ✌🏽❤️
Valarie Sherriff, Meadows Of Brushy Creek·20h ago
Tammy, I see on FB that Circle K has reached out to you!
Jennifer Dinnen, Woods Of Brushy Creek·20h ago
I'm curious if the person who said that was the same [censored] who wouldn't help me with their fuel rewards thing. I was trying to pay at the pump using the new fuel rewards account I had just set up and the electronic system was screwing up. I went inside to ask the guy at the counter and he said "well you must have done it wrong." I said "no, I'm fairly certain I followed the steps on the screen." And he said "well if it didn't work then you didn't do it right." I said "well would you please come outside and help me?" So he grumbled under his breath and followed me out to my car and looked at the pump. He did exactly what I did and got the same error. Then he said "well it's supposed to work so you must have pushed the wrong buttons and now it doesn't work" and he WALKED OFF as I was still trying to talk to him.
I'm not Hispanic but have been mistaken for it, so I'm curious now if it really was the same guy. Or you know, maybe he hates Asians too, cuz he's a racist punk [censored].
Lisi Wilson
Lisi Wilson, Woods Of Brushy Creek·20h ago
Did anyone talk to the manager?
Katherine Laboy
Katherine Laboy, Meadows Of Brushy Creek·20h ago
The news will love to hear how incredible ignorant people can be. I'm sure he is the dirtiest of all.
Angela Viesca
Angela Viesca, Meadows Of Brushy Creek·20h ago
I would definitely call corporate and report this. Texas Division # [protected].
Jennifer Dinnen, Woods Of Brushy Creek·20h ago
BTW Tammy if you do speak to the owner or anyone else about this, feel free to share my experience as well. I should have reported the incident then - I remember I was livid and griping to my husband about it and said I was going to call and complain. I ended up forgetting about the whole thing until I saw your post today.
Benjamin Feldt
Benjamin Feldt, Woods Of Brushy Creek·Edited 20h ago
Anyone who goes there frequently has run into this grumpy [censored]. I'm assuming it's the same guy. He hates his job and his life.
Jennifer Dinnen, Woods Of Brushy Creek·20h ago
I don't go there often so I've only run into him once, thankfully!
The other time I was in there the credit card machine was down and I didn't have any cash. I was pregnant and extremely hungry and thirsty. I must have looked like I was going to die because the lady who was working at the counter told me to go ahead and take what I needed and to just pay them back the next day - she was extremely nice...nothing like this other sorry excuse of a human being.
Don Field
Don Field, Meadows Of Brushy Creek·19h ago
Needs to be reported to the TX Attorney General's office
Rocco Pelosi
Rocco Pelosi, Davis Spring·Edited 19h ago
Tammy M. Thank you for posting what you witnessed, as well as the neighbor who was standing behind you and witnessed this Circle K employee's racist and discriminatory behavior and language. I feel so bad for the customer who was just try to buy something for himself and was treated this way. It also sounds like other customers have had negative experiences with perhaps this same employee. I'm also shocked but not surprised that this employee is so emboldened as to express his racist attitudes so openly. But I also pleased by the number of people who have commented condemning this type of behavior. And Tammy M, thanks for pursuing your complaint up the management chain. My hope is that they will do the appropriate thing so that no other customer's have to be treated so disrespectfully. If management does NOT do the right thing by listening to and correcting this type of behavior on the part of their employees, then by all means take your business elsewhere...I would. And make sure that local management and corporate knows that you will expose what happened to a customer and their failure to take the appropriate action. There are plenty of folks looking for employment...keeping this one on their payroll will be a poor reflection of how much they value their customers.
Meg Vancil
Meg Vancil, Round Rock West·Edited 19h ago
Call one of the news stations. They need to be put on blast. Actually... post this to their FB page. Watch how fast this gets a response.
Mamie Toupin
Mamie Toupin, Meadows Of Brushy Creek·19h ago
Unreal!
Cesar Laboy, Meadows Of Brushy Creek·19h ago
There's a lot of that going around. You are right, there's no room for it. Just remember, you can't fix stupid.
Cesar Laboy, Meadows Of Brushy Creek·19h ago
Benjamin, they both do.
Brandi Hall
Brandi Hall, Pearson Place·19h ago
That is absolutely disgusting! Those poor men. Shame people can't just be kind to one another.
Meg Vancil
Meg Vancil, Round Rock West·19h ago
Way to keep on them, Tammy! Good people should never look the other way when an injustice is done. Keep fighting the good fight. 😊
Abhi Basu
Abhi Basu, Oak Brook·Edited 19h ago
Disgusting behavior that has reared its ugly head in America again. This is not the America I know for sure. This may be the result of people refraining from voting or voting with emotions not reasons, at an election. Sorry to make it political, but the current administration has done nothing to help in this regard (trying to be respectful).
Kathy Gassman
Kathy Gassman, Oak Brook·19h ago
That is despicable!! I never go into the store but it's the only place I purchase gas. I will now boycott!! Thank you for sharing and I'm sorry you experienced such a hateful incident.
Shae Mak
Shae Mak, Village Of Brushy Creek·18h ago
I'm going to also call the store until they get tired of us! How absurd!!! And btw @Sue you're a sorry excuse for an adult!
Ed Humes
Ed Humes, Cat Hollow·18h ago
Pitch fork and torches are ready, are we still mad at the minimum wage idiot behind the counter or are we going after Sue?
Abhi Basu
Abhi Basu, Oak Brook·18h ago
Really, someone reported my message above! Why?
Fran Rush
Fran Rush, Round Rock West·18h ago
There is no room for that type of behavior. Please report it to their corporate office. Thanks for trying to help.
James Copeland
James Copeland, RBC·18h ago
Use Wag-a-Bags locally owned and operated!
Anne Grieshop
Anne Grieshop, RBC·18h ago
They will NEVER get my business again. That is despicable.
Scott Lau
Scott Lau, RBC·18h ago
That's just unfortunate & truly unforgivable for such a comment from someone who supposedly serves the public. I've crossed this store off of my list for the foreseeable future unless I get word that it was addresssed quickly and properly by the owner of this store. That employee should not be serving anyone anymore. I have no tolerance for such ignorant people in this day & time. That patron should have been treated with respect and courtesy!
Tim Kelley, Woods Of Brushy Creek·18h ago
I didn't report Abhi's message, but I can see why somebody would.
Jennifer Drysdale
Jennifer Drysdale, Fern Bluff·18h ago
You should go back and take a picture of the employee and send it to the Circle K headquarters and post on social media.
They'll lose a TON of business.
Tonia Elder
Tonia Elder, Fern Bluff·18h ago
O.M.G.
Vivian Sullivan
Vivian Sullivan, Davis Spring·18h ago
Shameful!
Sonja Palmer
Sonja Palmer, RBC·18h ago
Horrible! Thanks for posting! They will not have my patronage!
Zinthia Michel-Kee
Zinthia Michel-Kee, Davis Spring·18h ago
WOW. How horrible! I'm Mexican and my husband is German-Irish-Polish. My kids are a beautiful blend of cultures. I cannot believe that in 2018, this still happens. Thank you for posting. I will NOT step foot in that store. I would send a letter to their corporate office! Maybe even blast them on social media.
Erica Hardin
Erica Hardin, Brushy Creek South·18h ago
I'm Puerto Rican and this is appalling. I won't be going there anymore. Racism is still alive and well I see... >.<
Derrick Page
Derrick Page, Cat Hollow·Edited 18h ago
@Tim Kelley, I didn't either. But thought to myself "oh boy, this is going to detract from the OP if it goes political". Kuddos to all for keeping it on point.
Bo Spencer
Bo Spencer, Woods Of Brushy Creek·18h ago
To Erica and a few others - unfortunately we will never erase racism it seems, but I do believe it is far better than it has been. However - just look at all of the comments to this matter and you will see that the vast majority of people are sickened by this kind of crap - that is very encouraging don't you think?
Clara Miller
Clara Miller, Cat Hollow·18h ago
Thanks for the heads up! O won't be visiting that store, it's sad, but unfortunately humanity is not far along to let go of hate in our hearts
Mechille Riester
Mechille Riester, RBC·17h ago
Yes, thank you for sharing your story...he will not be getting any of my non-Mexican money anymore. That is outrageous!
Kristin Holub, Stone Canyon·17h ago
That is just horrible!!
Kristin Holub, Stone Canyon·17h ago
You should report it to their corporate headquarters!
Pat Beachy, Stone Canyon·17h ago
And I've seen employees of that store of other ethnic groups. What the heck???
Pat Beachy, Stone Canyon·17h ago
BTW, that is a Shell station -- report to Shell corporate offices. As well as Circle K offices. This webpage -- then scroll down to Looking for a Shell Station -- have a good or bad experience. https://www.shell.us/about-us/contact-shell.html
And here is Circle K contact info: https://www.circlek.com/contact?language=en
Valerie Maldonado
Valerie Maldonado, The Ranch·17h ago
I hope you called or emailed a manager. Or the company. Of course this still goes on. Our president has normalized it. And people always say, "you get that stuff said to you in *Austin*? Yes, even here. What a shame.

I kinda want to go in there and just speak Spanish to him and when he doesn't understand, just say it louder and slower. That always helps. Ugh...people.
Rachal leblanc
Rachal leblanc, Davis Spring·17h ago
White man behind the counter?
MJ Ward
MJ Ward, Stone Canyon·16h ago
As a mom with biracial kids, I just want to say thank you for standing up for us. I think a lot of people don't realize how much hate is now starting to spread in even pretty relaxed towns as ours. I myself have received offhand comments about my daughter's hair.

The only way we can stop the hate from infecting our neighborhoods and kids is leading by example and making sure that we let those who make ignorant comments understand it's unacceptable.
Debbie Glendenning
Debbie Glendenning, Oak Brook·16h ago
That's awful and should be brought to the managers attention.
Felecia Wesley
Felecia Wesley, Stone Canyon·16h ago
Unbelievable! I will never go there again, and I will spread the word!
Nancy McCabe
Nancy McCabe, Woods Of Brushy Creek·15h ago
Tammy - I sent a copy of your text to the Circle K headquarters. I agree, this is unacceptable.
Valarie Sherriff, Meadows Of Brushy Creek·15h ago
Tammy, please keep us updated. If they do the right thing I will continue to go there. It is only fair to give them a chance. But if nothing is done, I have no problem spending my money elsewhere. Thank you
Richard Warwick
Richard Warwick, Oak Brook·15h ago
Holy crap! That is horrible!
Jen Wood
Jen Wood, Round Rock West·15h ago
Racists in this country are emboldened right now, and your post, your reaction in the store, and your perseverance in continuing to get action taken are much appreciated by anyone with a brain and a heart. I hope that the manager you spoke with decides to pull his head outta his bum, and fire the guy. He probably shouldn't have his job either if his response was as lazy as it sounds. I'll be writing their HQ as well. We've got to always push to end this kind of ignorance. Thanks, Tammy!
Carol Halley
Carol Halley, Cat Hollow Condominiums·15h ago
Management needs to be notified about this. I wouldn't think they would want anyone working for them that offends customers and loses business.
Patsy Case
Patsy Case, Avery Ranch/Brushy Creek·15h ago
Evil abounds when good people do nothing. Let's all stand up for what's right when we come across evil. Thanks for the prior posts.
Pat Beachy, Stone Canyon·15h ago
And I don't think Shell Oil would put up with this -- it reflects on them as well.
Stacy Carpenter
Stacy Carpenter, Stone Canyon·15h ago
Well, now he doesn't have to worry about any of us going to that store...Mexican or not. He's a low life.
Sandra Hawk
Sandra Hawk, Stone Canyon·13h ago
Horrific!!
Linda Zama
Linda Zama, Fern Bluff·13h ago
Good to know where not to shop!
Andre Mercado
Andre Mercado, RBC·12h ago
did you contact management?
Laura Labastida
Laura Labastida, Pearson Place·12h ago
Good to know, I will never come back,
Edward Firth
Edward Firth, Woods Of Brushy Creek·12h ago
I was just in this location and it was packed more than I've ever seen. So, perhaps the excessive posting will end up giving them more business in the short run.
Clara Miller
Clara Miller, Cat Hollow·12h ago
I hpoe not
Nancy Stein Crawford Warren
Nancy Stein Crawford Warren, Woods Of Brushy Creek·12h ago
When my friend Angie posted this it absolutely horrified me!!
Joanna Weaver
Joanna Weaver, Avery Ranch/Brushy Creek·12h ago
This via Brushy Creek Neighborhood Facebook group.

Kimberly Davis
Kimberly Davis, Woods Of Brushy Creek·12h ago
I bought gas there pretty much exclusively but today I switched to 7/11. My husband did the same. If they fire that employee in the next day or two then I'll go back. If they don't then they lost my business entirely. Some have argued it's not the owner or manager's fault but it is absolutely their responsibility to train employees and make sure customers are welcomed and safe. Their employees represent their brand. I'm glad to see most of my neighbors won't tolerate racism like that.
George Anguiano
George Anguiano, Cat Hollow·Edited 11h ago
IGNORANCE... simple as that! It affects all races and ethnicities. Very sad. It's almost a disease.
Donna Peebles, Enclave at Highland Horizon·11h ago
I don't shop there, but I am following this conversation. For those of you who are speaking up against this evil, I thank you. I am appalled at the behavior that has been encouraged and normalized by the current President. The actions taken by this administration and the things said and done against non-whites, the disabled, POWs, women, non-Christians, and more are creating ill will around the world against the U.S. And in this country, like-minded people are emboldened by their leader who encourages and promotes hate. It is so sad to see such hateful actions taking place against children, women, and others. I pray that something good will come from all this hate. And to see good people rallying against this hate means that evil will not triumph here. Thank you.
Connie Nagy
Connie Nagy, Meadows Of Brushy Creek·11h ago
Call the manager, I had a slip and fall in the store one day when the guy had left ice and water on the floor after filling the cooler and he was so rude and acted like it was my fault for not seeing it. A man that helped me up chewed his butt left and right but thankfully I was ok but i called and reported him. Maybe if more people speak up they will get rid of rude people when they realize we are all connected and not going to shop there.
Sherri Riske
Sherri Riske, Avery Ranch/Brushy Creek·10h ago
It should NOT matter what color, religion, sex, so forth we may be... underneath all of that we ALL still have the SAME skeleton!
Cesar Laboy, Meadows Of Brushy Creek·10h ago
@donna... I don't think the people Tammy is talking about are Trump supporters. Take a peek in there and you will know.
But I do get where you're coming from.
Donna Peebles, Enclave at Highland Horizon·10h ago
@cesar, my point is the blatant racial hatred, such as this man calling Mexicans "dirty" and refusing to serve them is an attitude that we are seeing throughout the country, whether that person supports Trump or not, Our President demonstrates this very behavior. The leader of our country should be bringing all people together and should condemn prejudice and hatred. He's not. And "the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." (Edmund Burke)
Teresa Danford
Teresa Danford, Davis Spring·Edited 9h ago
Not really sure what Cesar's comment meant? Not really sure why people want to keep bringing up Trump. I voted for Trump and I don't approve of what Tammy saw happen. Most people, no matter who they voted for, dont approve of that employee's behavior. No reason to bring up politics and divisiveness. Good grief. Tammy, thank you for reporting and trying to get this bad behavior stopped. It would be so much easier to do nothing, but you are going the extra mile to keep it from happening again.
Kristin Holub, Stone Canyon·9h ago
Karma will not be kind to him!!
Donna Peebles, Enclave at Highland Horizon·9h ago
It's not about politics. It's about normalizing this kind of behavior, as demonstrated and encouraged by someone who should be doing the exact opposite. His first words were to condemn Mexicans, except for some who "might be good people." That's not politics. That's just racism. And now some people think it's okay to behave the same way. The guy at the Shell Station is just one example.
Shelly Hall
Shelly Hall, Woods Of Brushy Creek·9h ago
I'm going to guess that this guy has been a racist most of his life and no one or no administration is to blame for his actions.
This is my normal stop for gas. I very rarely go in. I will move on over to HEB until I hear that this has been handled satisfactorily.
Teresa Danford
Teresa Danford, Davis Spring·Edited 9h ago
All neighbors are pulling together. No need for divisive comments about this President or previous Presidents. What good can come of it? In my opinion, not necessary.
Jen Wood
Jen Wood, Round Rock West·9h ago
I tweeted CK corp- and just got a response from them asking for further details. Let's see where this goes.
Debbie Carter
Debbie Carter, Oak Brook·3h ago
Wondering if Tammy (and Angie) connected with the owner yesterday and if so, how that went. Trusting the right thing is being done. Please update when you can!
Anita Parrish
Anita Parrish, Avery Ranch/Brushy Creek·54m ago
As a frequent customer, I called and talked to the manager. I think his name is Matt. He said that he was going to be talking to his boss to determine how this situation would be handled. I didn't get the impression that he condoned the behavior. I actually got the impression that he wasn't sure what to do or that he had limits on what he could do about it. I'm sure there is a process for termination, though Texas is an at-will state. I also think he might have a staffing issue. Still, there is no excuse for this behavior and there should be a zero tolerance policy when it comes to racism and discrimination (even for those making minimum wage as the racist sympathizer pointed out earlier).
Shannon Anderson
Shannon Anderson, Meadows Of Brushy Creek·39m ago
I was surprised that the management, whether at the store or corporate, didn't have zero tolerance for this simply on the grounds that the guy is turning away business/money? Add in racist behavior and it's a no brainer. Big corporations are all about making money.
Benjamin Feldt
Benjamin Feldt, Woods Of Brushy Creek·26m ago
I think a lot of these gas stations are franchises and independently owned. It would not surprise me if this guy was a relative of the owner. It might explain his brazen attitude. He thinks he owns the place. Or maybe be really owns the place. It certainly doesn't excuse his behavior.

Je