Choice Privledges Hotel / Unsafe enviorment for Humans and dogs

1 Nanuet, NY, United States Review updated:

Took my family and our friendly beagle dog to Comfort Inn & Suites Nanuet N.Y. location. Turned out to be a horror story shortly after. Wasn’t there for more than 4 hours when my dog was mauled by 2 American Terrier Pit bulls in the back returning from walking dog in the dark in the back . Thank God the area has a wonderful Hospital called Valley Cottage Hospital . Family dog required life-saving surgery and stitches to close some gruesome wounds caused by these 2 attack dogs. My helpless beagle almost killed, was saved by the doctor at this hospital. This Hotel is anything but pet friendly. Another room had a German Sheppard going nuts against the glass. Wonder which room had the lions tigers and bears. A nice pleasant getaway idea turned out to be a nightmare. The Manager yelled at me because I dared to ask for help. I was mortified and embarrassed by his treatment towards me being as well as being in shock at the time due to this incident. Manager was most unprofessional, screaming out in lobby it was my fault. Hotel is not a secure place to bring your loving pet or humans since Hotel apparently never trained management properly in dealing with crisis of this magnitude.

I would not recommend this place for anything more than directions to another Hotel in the area. They wont even pay the life saving medical treatment medical bills for my dog nor return the points I saved up. Keep in mind people do go there who don’t have pets. Their lives are in jeopardy when you don’t screen the animals you accept or limit type of breeds you allow.

If you look up American Terrier which I did when I came home you will see these animals are by design breaded to fight. What parent allows small children to pet an American Terrier or German Sheppard without fear of being mauled? If you have children be careful the back doors aren’t secure and can be opened by accident from the outside as well as not closed properly to begin with. The lighting at night is almost non existent. No room numbers to indicate which room it is. All factors when making a decision which hotel has the consumers best interest in mind.

To wrap up this disaster Hotel says its pet friendly and since they don’t care what kind of animals they take in I would agree . However that’s makes it no human friendly. Be on your guard at all times because you never know when a dog or multiple dogs will escape and try to maul your dog, an adult or unfortunately one of your precious children. To add insult to injury they wont accept financial responsibility for their negligence. Remember dogs are like people and sometimes react differently under fear .

There is an expression, caveat emptor means buyer beware. It most certainly applies to this Hotel.

Good Luck

Choice Privledges Hotel
Choice Privledges Hotel

Comments

• Di
      28th of Mar, 2012

sorry your dog got attacked, hopefully he will be ok. Not sure why you would blame the hotel for this incident though, the meaning pet friendly is that they allow pets, they cannot guarantee all the pets will be friendly to other animals that is the owners responsibility

• Ke
      28th of Mar, 2012

Keep your dog home, if you want someone to blame ? start with yourself...You put the dog at risk.

• Lo
      29th of Mar, 2012

My name is Lorrie, the General Manager of this Hotel and had been at the hotel at the time of the incident. I am not sure who you may be referring to (male mgr.). As we had spoken on the phone and in writing, I felt terrible for what had happened to your poor dog, being an animal lover myself. When the attack on your dog occurred, I was the person who called the police immediately. Then as you came to the desk with your dog, and asked for an ambulance to come for him, I called the Veteranarian Hospital and told them the problem. They asked for the dog to be brought in. I then gave you a blanket for the dog, as we both were concerned, that he was breathing abnormally. You thought maybe he was going into shock. I then had one of my desk clerks take our hotel shuttle and bring you and the dog to the Vet's for care. When you needed to come back, we then came and picked you up to be brought back to the Hotel. As for stating that I said it was your fault, and yelling in the lobby, sorry, I did no such thing. My concern was for your dog. I even asked the police if you could leave as they were taking down information, due to my concern for the dog.
    As for screening animals; when the two terrier pit bulls checked in, I went into the lobby to see them. I asked if they were friendly and they said yes. I then pet the dogs. They signed a paper regarding the rules of the hotel with pets.
    When your dog was attacked, it was when you by accident, walked into the wrong guest room where the 2 terriers were. They were inside in their own room, so the control of that situation was not in my hands at that moment.
    Side point. When I was called by a guest earlier that evening, stating that your dog wouldn't stop barking in the room, I was the person who found you in our breakfast room. You were very apologetic, and I said for you both to enjoy your meal you were eating, and bring the dog into the breakfast room to stay with you, as he would be more comfortable and of course stop barking. You both then thanked me. I wish as well as you that this terrible event had never occurred. I am a person who will always try to help defenseless animals whenever possible as would yourself, and will always continue to do so when in my power to.
    I will also be returning your "Choice Points" you used for your room. We had not had a conversation regarding this to be refunded, but considerring the bills you received, I feel it would be appropriate.

• Pr
      14th of Apr, 2012

If you entered the wrong room in error, that was indeed unfortunate. Let me also set one other thing straight, American Pit Bull Terriers are not "attack" dogs. If you dog wandered into their domain and surprised them, they will defend an area to be considered their territory as well as their family. They will protect and that may mean an attack on an intruder. Sounds like your dog was the unlucky intruder. Valley Cottage Animal Hospital is the only 24 hour vet in Rockland and I am happy they saved your dog's life. The hotel was not responsible for your error. You probably needed to bring your eyeglass and/or a flashlight to find your room number.

• Ri
      15th of Apr, 2012

Pretty much everything that needs to be said has been said. As the owner of two APBT's I can assure you that they are neither "breaded"... nor bred to be fighting dogs.
    As stated before, even though unintentional, you entered the other dog's territory when you entered their room. They protected their owners just as any dog who is worth it's salt would do... including yours.
    Neither you, the hotel nor the dogs were at fault. It was an unfortunate accident, no more and no less.

Furthurmore, my Wife and I have personally know Mrs Crouch who posted above for a great many years longer than she's worked at that hotel. If she had been directly at the scene, she'd likely gotten bitten trying to protect your dog. That's just the kind of person she is and has always been. Her quick thinking in contacting VCAH likely saved your dogs' life.

As for your comment "Remember dogs are like people and sometimes react differently under fear." Nothing could be furthur from the truth. Dogs are animals and react on instinct. Unfortunately you were on the receiving end of the instinct that saw you and your pet as intruders in their packs territory.

I understand how upsetting this must have been for you but placing blame for what was an accident on anyone is just foolishness.
    I'm glad your pet was transported to VCAH in the hotel shuttle at Mrs Crouch's instruction and that Dr Collins and the other great Vets at VCAH were able to treat your dog's injuries.

• Gr
      5th of May, 2012

THIS LADY IS A [censored]ING IDIOT -- BE RESPONSIBLE AND STOP BLAMING PEOPLE FOR YOUR STUPIDITY -- I'M SURPRISED THE DOG HAS SURVIVED THIS LONG UNDER YOUR CARE OR SHOULD I SAY --CARELESSNESS. [censored]!

• Pr
      6th of May, 2012

Hi Greg: Just want to let you know the person that posted the original complaint is a male and not a female.

• Br
      6th of May, 2012

^ Actually, that may not be so. The OP skipped full site registration which results in not being able to choose gender, truncated registration automatically uses a male avatar as default. Also, there is no indication the Op entered the wrong room. The Op states the attack happened in the back of the hotel.

6th of May, 2012

There's nothing wrong with same gender sexual preference.

Says who?

6th of May, 2012

And just who are you to make the determination on who matters and what not. My3cents is a gay friendly site.

6th of May, 2012

You are all bigots and should be ashamed of yourselves.

• Ge
      7th of May, 2012

If you and your "partner" want to play "hide the gerbil", that's your business, just don't expect the Doc not to snicker whilst removing that small furry object from your pie hole.