Choice Home Warranty / scam

510 Thornall St, Edison, NJ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 888-531-5403

We became service contractors for choice home warrnty in 2009. Since then they have paid only 2-3 bills and most of the bills are not paid, Total amount of $1291.71 has not been paid even after months. Every time they have different story to tell, like checks will be sent on ____ date, checks already sent, checks lost in mail, bill been transfered to HQ. On top of all this there is no contact for any HQ. Nobody return calls, nobody answers E mail. They are the worst one.

Comments

17th of Dec, 2008

I started the contract with Choice Home Warranty (choicehomewarranty.com ) on 10/27/2008 covering HVAC and making onetime payment of $344 for the contract lasting one year. On 12/02/2008 2 units (furnaces) stopped working. I contacted Choice with repair request. The technician was sent on 12/03/2008 to do the diagnosis - control boards needed to be replaced. Choice refused a repair without additional documentation. The following documents were submitted:

- home inspection report done upon purchasing the property

- diagnosis/checkup of the HVAC systems done on 07/27/2007

- repair and checkup of the HVAC systems done on 06/26/2008

After many phone calls and 14 days with no heat, the customer representative from Choice: Ron Stillwater stated that the repair could not be cover because:

- it is odd that two of the systems fail in the same time

- there is no date on the document from 6/26/2008 - even though it is printed

- there is no signatures on the receipt from 06/26/2008 - even though is states on the receipt that it is a electronic invoice and the authenticity can be proven by contacting the company that did the repair/checkup service on 6/26/2008. Ron Stillwater stated that no company will be contacted.

- there are many inconsistencies in provided documentation - with no additional comments provided.

I need to add that dealing with this guy (company) was the worst customer service experience. Imagine rep. screaming, inventing stories that do not add - the management needs to review your files - and than 5 sec. later - it just popped up on my screen that your claim was denied. I asked for the manager many times but never no one was available. He was accusing me of taking long time sending the documentation where in fact they (or he) were not replying to my faxes, emails and phone calls. The faxes were being lost and I had to resend the documentation. I felt like it was really immature, irresponsible, unprofessional, sneaky thief one person shop.

Toyota forecasts loss as sales slide
    Top Japanese automaker takes toll from plummeting auto sales.
    EMAIL | PRINT | SHARE | RSS Yahoo! Buzz
    STUMBLE UPON
    MYSPACE
    MIXX IT

feed://rss.cnn.com/rss/money_news_companies.rss
    Paste this link into your favorite RSS desktop reader
    See all CNNMoney.com RSS FEEDS (close) By Kenneth Musante, CNNMoney.com staff writer
    Last Updated: December 22, 2008: 12:06 PM ET

Auto bailout 'not a solution'

More VideosDETROIT'S DOWNFALL
    GM shares plummet on downgrade
    Toyota forecasts loss as sales slide
    Canada providing $4B in aid to automakers
    Will the auto bailout work?
    GM's toothless restructuring test

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Japanese auto giant Toyota said Monday that it would suffer an operating loss due to plummeting auto sales and a strong local currency.

About 30 minutes after the market closed in Tokyo, Toyota said it expected to lose approximately $1.5 billion to $1.7 billion this fiscal year. Toyota reports earnings on a fiscal calendar beginning in April.

This would be Toyota's first operating loss since 1950, Toyota spokesman Steve Curtis said.

Despite the likely operating loss, Toyota expects to post a $557 million net profit for the fiscal year.

Falling car sales in the United States and abroad have been taking a major toll on automakers.

Toyota will sell about 1.4 million fewer vehicles globally this fiscal year -- about 7.5 million vehicles in all -- than it did last year. The company's North American sales will be particularly hard-hit, dropping by 250, 000 units, according to the automaker.

Toyota reports results based on a fiscal year calendar beginning in April.

Toyota (TM) said Monday that it expected worldwide auto sales in calendar year 2008 to decline 4%.

Japanese exports have suffered because of currency exchange rates. The rising value of the yen sent Japan's trade deficit shooting up to $2.5 billion in November, according to the Japanese government. Exports fell 27% on a month-over-month basis.

Toyota expects losses of about $2.2 billion due to currency exchange rates alone.

Toyota's main Japanese rival, Honda (HMC), reduced 2009 earnings estimates and cut its forecast for 2008 last week, saying there was "no prospect for recovery" as auto sales and the economy continue to deteriorate.

On Friday, the Bush administration said it would lend $13.4 billion to General Motors (GM, Fortune 500) and Chrysler to keep them out of bankruptcy.

Shoe-thower's fate up to Iraq: White House
    46 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AFP) — A White House spokesman reiterated Monday it was up to Iraq to handle the journalist who threw his shoes at President George W. Bush, after his brother alleged he had been tortured in custody.

"He's in the hands of the Iraqi system. I don't have anything more on the shoe-thrower, " spokesman Tony Fratto told reporters when asked if the White House was concerned about reports that the Iraqi journalist showed signs of having been tortured.

"I think that's been explored extensively and I have nothing new for you."

Earlier in Baghdad, Iraqi authorities said the 29-year-old, Muntazer al-Zaidi, would go on trial this month on charges that could carry up to 15 years behind bars.

One of Zaidi's brothers, Uday, told AFP he had been able to visit him in custody for the first time on Sunday and charged that the journalist had been tortured by his captors "for 36 hours continuously" and forced to sign a statement.

"He has been hit with iron rods and cables, " the brother said.

"There is very severe bleeding in his eye, and he has bruises on his feet and nose, and he was also tortured with electric shocks.

"He was forced to sign a statement confessing to receiving money from different groups and saying that he did not throw his shoes for the honor of Iraq."

Investigating judge Dhiya al-Kenani rejected the torture allegations and said "the investigation phase is over."

The trial is to start Wednesday, December 31.

Zaidi stands accused of "aggression against a foreign head of state during an official visit, " an offense that carries a prison term of between five and 15 years under Iraqi law, for throwing his shoes at Bush on December 14.

22nd of Dec, 2008

Continental Airlines Inc. is looking into a weekend accident in which a flight bound for George Bush International Airport from Denver International Airport went off the runway.

The Houston airline’s flight 1404, a Boeing 737-500 aircraft carrying 110 passengers and five crew members, was unable to take off, ran off the runway and caught fire, according to news agencies. About 38 of those on board suffered injuries.

Continental (NYSE: CAL) is cooperating with authorities and is in the process of collecting additional information about the Saturday evening accident.

“The care of our passengers, crew and family members is our highest priority and they will receive any assistance necessary, ” said Larry Kellner, Continental Airlines’ chairman and chief executive officer. “We are deeply concerned by this accident and will do everything we can for the passengers, their families and our co-workers.”

Relatives and friends of those traveling on flight 1404 who want to give or receive information about those on board should telephone Continental at 800-621-3263 or go to the airline’s Web site at www.continental.com.

22nd of Dec, 2008

GAZA (Reuters) - Palestinian armed groups in Gaza observed a 24-hour halt to rocket fire against Israel at the request of Egyptian mediators, a senior official of the ruling Islamist Hamas group said on Monday.

Ayman Taha told Reuters: "Hamas and other factions agreed in order to give a chance to the Egyptian mediation and to show that the problem was always on the Israeli side."

Shortly before the brief truce was set to expire, Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh telephoned Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan to ask that he urge Israel to lift its blockade on Gaza and to halt its military operations in the coastal strip.

Taher al-Nono, a spokesman for Haniyeh, said Erdogan had assured Haniyeh he would raise these issues in his talks with Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert in Ankara later on Monday.

Taha said Hamas might consider a long truce if Israel were to lift an embargo on the impoverished territory, including permission to import an aid shipment from Egypt.

"If a new (truce) offer were made which met our demands, then we would be willing to study it, " Taha said.

Israel and Egypt were skeptical about the Hamas declaration of a hold-fire, though it seemed to be observed, with only two rockets and a mortar reported to have been fired on Monday from Gaza, and a rocket and four mortars shot on Sunday night.

A six-month truce expired on Friday, raising fears of a wider conflict and sparking debate among Israeli leaders vying in a February 10 election about whether Israel should launch a Gaza offensive or seek to extend the ceasefire

22nd of Dec, 2008

Arizona held its position in 2008 as the second-fastest growing state in the country.

From July 1, 2007, to July 1, 2008, Arizona’s population grew by 2.3 percent, or about 147, 000 people, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. The year before, Arizona also was the second-fastest growing state, but at a higher rate, 2.8 percent.

Utah’s population grew 2.5 percent from 2007-2008, taking over the top spot on the list from Nevada. After Arizona at No. 2, Texas, North Carolina and Colorado rounded out the top five, each increasing 2 percent.

Nevada has seen its growth rate cut nearly in half in the past two years. The state’s population grew by 1.8 percent between 2007 and 2008, down from 3.5 percent two years earlier. Nevada was the nation’s fastest growing state from 2006 to 2007, with population increasing 2.9 percent, but ranked No. 8 in the most recent 12-month period. Nevada had been among the four fastest-growing states each of the previous 23 years.

Texas was the biggest numerical gainer, adding 484, 000 people between 2007 and 2008 followed by California, 379, 000; North Carolina, 181, 000; Georgia, 162, 000; and Arizona, 147, 000.

Michigan and Rhode Island -- suffering from one of the nation’s highest unemployment rates -- were the only states to lose population. Michigan had a net loss of 46, 000 people, or 0.5 percent, and Rhode Island lost 2, 000, 0.2 percent.

California remained the most populous state with 36.8 million residents followed by Texas at 24.3 million, New York at 19.5 million, Florida with 18.3 million and Illinois at 12.9 million.

22nd of Dec, 2008

During their Super Bowl run last season and for the first 12 games of this season, the Giants’ signature was resilience.

Skip to next paragraph

Analysis and discussion of the N.F.L. on the New York Times pro football blog.

Go to The Fifth Down Blog »

N.F.L.
    Scoreboard
    Schedules: A.F.C. | N.F.C.
    Standings: A.F.C. | N.F.C.
    Teams | Statistics
    Transactions
    Injuries: A.F.C. | N.F.C.
    Giants
    Schedule/Results
    Statistics | Roster
    Depth Chart
    Jets
    Schedule/Results
    Statistics | Roster
    Depth Chart
    Whether it was the Brett Favre-to-the Jets distraction during the summer, disrespect from the national media or injuries, the Giants seemed oblivious to distractions.

They kept on chugging.

But after the numbskull madness of Plaxico Burress last month and while Brandon Jacobs’ injured knee limited his effectiveness, the Giants were faced with circumstances they could not ignore.

“We just couldn’t get that spark, we couldn’t build momentum, ” offensive tackle Kareem McKenzie said Sunday night after the Giants’ electric overtime victory against Carolina.

After the opening drive against the Panthers, the Giants sensed they had rediscovered the spark. The drive produced only a field goal, but Manning made a big play (a mini re-creation of his Super Bowl miracle when he escaped and threw a completion) and Domenik Hixon made a big catch.

Jacobs, while clearly hurting, was back to the punishing style of running that has put N.F.L. defenses on their heels. “After that drive, ” McKenzie said. “I knew we got that spark back, we’d regained momentum.”

Consecutive losses to Philadelphia and Dallas had compelled the Giants to do some soul-searching. Words like “accountability” began to float around the locker room. There were no dramatic team meetings although a number of players convened in smaller groups.

“Everyone has to look themselves in the mirror, ” tackle David Diehl said on Sunday. “It’s about accountability, selling out for each other and working your way back through adversity.

“We knew this was an important game. This was a one game season for us.”

The most important pep talk may have been the mini-lecture that Jacobs gave to running back Derrick Ward just before the overtime period began. He told Ward that in this game and on this night, he was in fact “The Man, ” and to go out and play that part.

“I told him before we went to overtime, ‘Look, you’re the better man out of us tonight, I want you out there, ’ and he got out there and proved that, ” Jacobs said. “He went out there and picked up the slack for me. That’s what a teammate is for. I love him to death so we just have to keep on pushing. We have a long road still ahead of us.”

While Sunday’s victory gave the Giants the No. 1 seed and home-field advantage throughout the N.F.C. playoffs, the saving grace of the Giants’ Super Bowl hopes is that they clinched their division weeks ago. Clinching so early afforded the Giants the luxury of concentrating on simply playing well rather than being caught up in the hysteria of earning a playoff berth.

“In a way, I looked at it a little bit like the win or loss at the end wasn’t going to be the biggest difference, ” quarterback Eli Manning said Sunday night. “I thought as long as we came out and played well, we made some plays, we got into a rhythm, we ran the ball, we threw the ball, mixed it up. We got back to having fun out there. We haven’t had much fun because we haven’t had that much success in the past.”

After Burress accidentally shot himself in the thigh in a Manhattan club in November the sky seemed to fall on the Giants. Burress’ injury created a domino effect that many, even within the Giants organization, might not have fully appreciated.

With Burress out, the Giants’ opponents no longer needed to assign an extra defender against him, leaving them free to use that extra defender to stop the Giants’ vaunted running game. With Burress out and Jacobs limited, the Giants’ offense had all but come to a halt before Sunday. More than any Giants player, Manning has felt the brunt of the Burress domino effect.

The best news of all from the Giants victory on Sunday is that Manning could carry the Giants. Manning completed 17 of 27 passes for 181 yards, with a touchdown. He also completed a 2-point conversion pass to Hixon with 3 minutes, 21 seconds left to tie the game at 28.

In the exhilaration of victory, many players said they never lost faith and never had doubts that they would rediscover the Super Bowl spark.

Frankly, I had my doubts.

Five weeks ago, everything seemed so sure for the Giants but after consecutive losses, the Giants’ Super Bowl hopes appeared to be fading. On Sunday they rediscovered a spark.

Maybe they’ll repeat as Super Bowl champions, maybe they won’t.

The Giants at least know that they’ve re-captured their groove, and not a game too soon.

• Ar
      31st of Jan, 2009

I too bought a Choice Home Warranty (CHW) contract. Early in January, my refrigerator stopped working properly, so I called CHW and they gave me a service company to call in my area. A technician came and showed me the ice buildup on the coils and said there was a restriction in the refrigerant line which was causing the problem. His company told CHW the diagnosis and a lady from the service company told me that CHW, when told of the diagnosis, had responded positively about replacing my refrigerator. However, when they called me, they came up with an excuse that the problem was caused by sediment on the line or in the line and that therefore the repair was not covered by their contract. I called the lady from the service company who told me that the problem was caused by normal wear and tear and that she would call CHW to find out what was going on. I am waiting to hear back from her. So far, it seems that CHW is just out to take people's money and are dishonorable.

Allen Buchner

10th of Mar, 2009

I have created a user group Choice Home Warranty Claims, please come and join if you have experienced difficulties with this company. I am also looking for co-plaintiffs in a lawsuit.

• Sc
      3rd of Jul, 2009

I also had an AC problem and it was determined that the compressor needed to be replaced. They said I had to provide exhaustive maintenance records. I provided receipts of all past AC maintenance done on the unit. THey then said, I need all the receipts. After I provided the receipts, they said the records were not what they expected so they denied the claim. I had to fix the AC problem myself. That is total BS! Watch out for these guys and their super super tiny fineprint. By the way, the fineprint they sent was not even all of it. They had to direct me to some website that had additional fineprint which indicated they can ask for maintenance records of all kinds and that gives them reason to deny claims!

• Do
      10th of Aug, 2009

I filed a claim with Choice Home Warranty on 6-8-09 for my oven. They sent a technician out that could not repair the oven and said part were no longer available. Choice contacted me about 2 weeks later with a very low offer to settle the claim rather than replacing the oven as the warranty states. They tried to tell me it could be fixed even though their technician said it can't. They told me I could wait 2-3 months for them to aquire the parts to fix it or accept their low offer. However, they could not give me the name of a company from which they intended to acquire the parts. I told them to send me the money, but to date on 8-10-09, I still have nothing from them. Another call to their customer service today resulted in them giving me a check number that they say was mailed 7-27-09, but they would check on it and see if it might have to be re-issued. They never sent one out, I know it and they know it. NEVER DEAL WITH THESE PEOPLE. THEY NEGATE THEIR OWN WARRANTY PROMISES AT SOME PLACE IN THEIR AGREEMENT. THEY SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN.

• Te
      12th of Dec, 2009

Brad Collins promised us that all of our appliances would be covered after 30 days. We purchased 2 home warrantys for two rental proerties. We explained that the properties were rental properties and because we don't live there we a re never sure of the condition of the appliances. Well just after the 30 day waiting period a tennant on a covered property moves out and we discover that the refrigerator is not working. We call CHW. They send a tech who opens the frige door glances in the ice box, and without even removing a screw driver from his tool bag summarily declares that the frige needs a heater element, bi-metal, and motherboard. CHW refuses coverage stating that the broken parts were a pre-existing condition; never mind the 30 day waiting period designed to prevent pre-existing conditions from being claimed. We called them and their representative desperately tried to engage me in an argument. I told him that if he did not make good I would charge back on the credit card and that I would not argue. He became angry and hung up on me. We called the credit card company and started a dispute. Meanwhile we got a new home warranty (AHS) and they sent Sears out to fix my fridge. Turns out that only a heating element needed replacement and that this was not a pre-existing condition. Long story short...we won the dispute with the credit card company and the department of consumer affairs (the licensing agency) is using the information we provided them as further evidence in an action to rescind their license to conduct business.

• Mi
      28th of Jan, 2010

What an absolute ripoff! They will not cover my broken appliance and are so rude that it's unbelievable. They are in New Jersey. They should not be in business.

14th of Apr, 2010

There are many complaints against this company. They have a record of not paying their contractors or their customers...Good luck on collecting payment.

14th of Apr, 2010

You are not the only one with problems from this company. Please check out my group - Choice Home Warranty Claims. They are formerly out of NY.

14th of Apr, 2010

Please post status to my group thread.

Choice Home Warranty Claims - They are formerly out of NY.

• Kr
      29th of May, 2010

We recently had a contract on our home and I was covered by choice warrenty.I filled out and faxed the necessary 'cancellation of coverage form'that I down loaded from an email they sent me, there was no where on the form to say as of which date the cancellation was to happen so I refaxed the document 3 minutes later adding the date I wished for it to be cancelled followed by a phonecall to make sure they receieved the second fax and to verbally let them know the date.Te next day I get an email telling me that they have cancelled my warrenty.I called them up and spoke to the supervisor, a man by the name of Cox, who flat out told me, it was cancelled and it would cost another $300 and whatever dollars to have in reinstated and that there would be a 30 day waiting period.Since I am only going to be in the house for another 2 weeks before the new owners move in and they were responsible for making the mistake I did not think I should have to wait, let alone pay.He was very calm and seemed to thnk me the idiot and told me to' have a blessed day'.Whatever!!!Eventhough all of our appliances, HVAC everything were les than 2 years old when we bought the policy, I thought it odd that the company never asked ANYTHING about the age or condition of my appliances, HVAC or anything.For all they know they could be 20 years old, so why would they insure something like that???Are they for real???Each time I call I get the same girl and the same guy on the hone.re they operateing out of an apartment somewhere????

• Ni
      12th of May, 2011

i have a service company we did work for them back in october 2010 total invoice 400.00 we never seen a penny, i clled them a million time i always speak with a peice of ### stainley from payable departement, and he always say we did not get the invoices, i faxed those invoices like a thousand time and he still denyng that he has them i contacted BBB, was no help, i filled a claim today 05/11/2011 with small claim court, now i am waiting for court day.they are a ripoff and nobody does anything to stop them, something has to be done.

• Ni
      12th of May, 2011

• So
      21st of Jun, 2011

This Company has got to be even worst than C&P Plumbing, crooks. On 5 june 2011 we awoke to water flooding the luandry room in our basement we called Choice Home Warranty Co and expressed to them the issue they in turned gave us three plumbers in our area to use. C&P plumbing being one, "another story", after claling the other two and gettign one we called Choice home warranty back to give them our findings on the plumber who would come out to do the work. Before we called the plumber back to tell them to come fix the pipe and was told this would have to wait until monday two days later with no running water and a infant and two small boys in the home. We asked them their reimbursment policy and they tell use we will send you aform to fillout and send back with the amount and work done and we will give you back your money. We do just that. Come a week later we asked them where we are in the reimbursement process and are told we can't reimburse you for un-authorized work even if it is covered under our policy because there was no one there to give us a authorization number. so we are out the 346.00 for 30 minutes of labor.There was a pin hole then you get a supervisior on the phone who tells you that this issue is covered but can't be reimbursed because there was no authorization number.

• Ka
      30th of Jul, 2011

I have choice home warranty. My microwave oven stopped working. I called them and they sent a technician from Masterminds Of Appliances to come take a look. James Pierre (JP) from Masterminds Of Appliances came and took a look at our microwave and cooking range and made the following comments

Door Assembly needs to be replaced. Also top ---(this word is not quite legible) panel is broken need to be replaced as well.

Masterminds of Appliances invoiced me for $60. I was very reluctant to make a payment without any service, However JP told me that it was their policy & they needed to order a part in order for that to be fixed and they cannot order the part if i did not pay the $60. JP also assured me that they do not do business like that and that i can trust him & that he was going to order the part & fix it as soon as the part arrived (in about 10-15 days) I reluctantly made the $60 payment only to receive a call back from Choice home appliances telling me that it is not covered under the insurance.

I feel cheated of my $60 and also the insurance premium that i have been paying every year.

JP does not answer my phone calls anymore.

• Ga
      16th of Sep, 2011

This is from the New Jersey website for Choice Home Warranty:

BBB rating is based on 16 factors. Get the details about the factors considered.

Factors that lowered Choice Home Warranty's rating include:
    Length of time business has been operating.
    428 complaints filed against business
    6 complaints filed against business that were not resolved.
    Length of time business has taken to resolve complaint(s).

According to information in BBB files, the business was previously headquartered at 244 Madison Avenue in New York City. As of May 2009, that location has an unsatisfactory record with the BBB serving Metropolitan New York due to a pattern of complaints, and the business has not corrected the underlying reason for the complaints.

Prior to May 2009, BBB serving New Jersey has processed no complaints against the location in Edison, NJ.

• Th
      2nd of Jul, 2013

I have been a customer of Choice Home Warranty for years and my first claim was denied. I realized my washer (4 years old) was leaking. I called to file a claim the next day to Choice. They sent a repair man that I paid $45 as required and he told me that the drum seal was cracked and the whole inside of the washer was rusted and the washer needed to be replaced. Apparently the washer had been leaking for a while but the water never came to the front, it all drained to the back of the washer which was out of sight. The washer is a front loader with a base so it stands about 5feet high. They told me my claim was denied because it was my fault that it was leaking and they would not cover it. My only option is to send letter to their claims department and wait another 30 days for them to review. Are you kidding me... I NEED A WASHER NOW! They should be shut down before anyone else gets SCREWED!!