Chili's Grill / Poor service policy

We arrived at approximately 1830 hrs on 2-23-07 at the Chilis restaurant in Cheyenne Wy and were advised that it would be approximately 15 minutes to wait. There were already approximately 10 to 15 people waiting to be seated and we assumed that they were busy. I went to the restroom and noticed that there were more empty tables then there were people already seated. When I returned to the lobby area I asked why the 15 minuet wait when there were so many empty tables. My question was met with disdain as if I had not right to ask. I asked for the manager and was met with the same attitude from him and advised that they were short on wait staff. I advised that it had always been standard to be seated given water and/or coffee and explained to that they would be a wait for service as there was a shortage of wait staff. This was met with "well you can leave and not come back" which I did and have no plans to return.

Comments

15th of Mar, 2007

I recently took my wife and 3 daughters to the chili's at rivercity marketplace at that airport in Jacksonville, Fl. First of all the server was rude. Secondly, we waited for about 45 minutes on our food and by the time we got it, it wasn't hot. We eat there a lot and have never had a problem before. My bill came up to 57.00 and it was not worth it at all.

• El
      24th of Jul, 2007

It sounds like you experienced some rude employees! However, coming from someone who works at a Chili's restaurant as a hostess, I can understand both sides. From the customer's standpoint, if you see open tables and yet you are kept waiting, it is very irritating as you don't feel that you matter to the restaurant! On the restaurant's side, there are a few reasons why this happens. Open tables don't mean anything if a server isn't working in that section to wait on you. Often times, servers will get cut, sections will get closed and then the restaurant gets a little busier than expected. It happens! Another reason why this happens is because if a server in that section is backed up or if the kitchen is backed up, you'll be waiting even if you get seated. To ensure that everyone in that section already, and a new table get proper service, it's best to let the servers and the kitchen get caught up before slamming them with more orders. I have experienced many times when customers have been asked to wait, they visit the rest room, see open tables and then become offended. I would never be as rude as the people you encountered, but it can be frustrating to be treated as though you know nothing about the restaurant you're working in. Next time, just take into consideration that the hosts have to keep tabs on servers, the kitchen, customers, and the overall status of the restaurant. if you aren't getting seated right away, it's for the benefit of everyone, most of the time. Again, I apologize for the rude service you received though!

20th of Sep, 2007

"Next time, just take into consideration that the hosts have to keep tabs on servers, the kitchen, customers, and the overall status of the restaurant. if you aren't getting seated right away, it's for the benefit of everyone, most of the time. Again, I apologize for the rude service you received though!"

Bull-puckey! The customer is there to be served; Chili's is not a low budget restaurant, and the customers should NEVER have to listen to lame excuses like those you posted.

• Le
      9th of May, 2008

The rudeness is inexcusable, but your attitude is pretty poor, too.

*When I returned to the lobby area I asked why the 15 minuet wait when there were so many
    *empty tables. My question was met with disdain as if I had not right to ask. I asked for the
    *manager and was met with the same attitude from him and advised that they were short on
    *wait staff. I advised that it had always been standard to be seated given water and/or coffee
    *and explained to that they would be a wait for service as there was a shortage of wait staff.

What difference whether you waited at a table or in the lobby? They have to manage expectations. If they only have two waitstaff available you'd be waiting no matter what. Either you could sit down right away and wait 15 minutes to see your server, or wait in the lobby and be seated in 15 minutes, then see your server right away. If they told you it'd be a fifteen minute wait, there's a reason. Don't presume to know more about their business than they do.

As for "Hoagy", no the customer doesn't have to listen to "lame excuses"... unless they're pushy and onoxious and force the management to justify themselves. In a perfect world, supply always meets demand, but that's not reality. Do you expect two waitresses to be as effective serving 15 people as three waitresses? In the real world, people call in sick. Deal with it.