Chili's Grill & Bar / manager refuses to honor teacher discount posted in their restaurant

Bloomington, IllinoisNormal, IL, United States Review updated:

We visited Chili’s in Normal, Illinois this evening, September 20, 2017. It was a real splurge for us. We used to come to Chill’s almost weekly. Unfortunately my husband’s job was outsourced 5 ½ years ago and he hasn’t been able to secure full-time employment. We haven’t been to Chili’s in probably a year. We decided to treat ourselves this evening. I was delighted when I saw the sign at the hostess desk that teachers receive a 20% discount for the entire month of September. Perfect! I’m a teacher.

We were seated at a booth where the table wobbled severely. We talked to the waiter about it and he tried to make it better moving it around and then crawling underneath at our feet trying to put napkins under the feet of the table. Kind of crazy! He was positioned under the table when a manager came by and said they would just seat us elsewhere.

In our new seats, we began our order. We were going with the 2/$22 dinners. I inquired about the 20% teacher discount and asked if I could use my activity pass I had on me or if I’d need to retrieve my school badge from my car. The waiter said I would need my badge and he’d give it to the manager to apply the discount. Then he said, “You know what? The manager actually decided not to give the teacher discount with the 2/$22 meals. You’ll have to pick one or the other.” I asked if he was joking?

Then I said I’d like to speak with the manager. The manager came to the table and said that we would have to choose between promos. The 2/$22 is considered a promo and so is the teacher discount and said we couldn’t take advantage of 2 promos. I pointed out that the 2/$22 is on their menu every day and I didn’t think that was right. He said that is the way it is and we got up and left with him standing at our table.

I looked at the menu and there isn’t any word of restrictions on the 2/$22 section, like no other discounts can be applied or anything of that like. I took a picture of the teacher discount sign displayed at the hostess desk. Again no list of restrictions. In fact, no restrictions at all. It certainly seemed from what the waiter said that the decision not to honor the discount was kind of off the cuff. It really didn’t make sense for the manager to turn away our business and lose us as customers for the sake of denying a teacher a $4 discount on two meals. Wow! You must not be very interested in valuing customers at this restaurant!

It would be nice if Chili's provided some free meals for our treatment and the uncaring attitude that we encountered.

Chili's Grill & Bar

Ly
Sep 20, 2017

Comments

• Nv
      Sep 20, 2017

First of all this teacher should not be teaching our children because apparently she does not know how to read. The discount does not apply for the 2 for $22. It is a shame that a teacher is so uneducated. Second she is taking her issue with Chili's out on her students and families. She wrote a similar complaint on pissedconsumer saying that her students are not allowed to eat at Chili's. That if they do they will get a detention and a failing grade. That if their parents take them to Chili's that she would lie to CPS and claim that they were being beaten and molested by their parents. This lady has issues and should not be teaching.

• Nv
      Sep 20, 2017

Also you are not entitled to free meals, if you cannot afford to eat out with your worthless husband and poor salary then eat at home.Your husband is pathetic, if he were trying harder he would be able to find a job. Sounds to me like your husband does not want to work and you want freebies when you are not entitle to them. Well guess what, if you cannot afford to dine out then don't. You did not eat there so why should you get free meals. You should not be teaching, you are a poor role model and you act no older than your students.Tell your husband to get a job so that he can afford to take you out to eat.