Child support enforcement / I want child support!

1 GA, United States Review updated:

My sons father, Jeffery Jerome Coney, refuses to support his son. He owes over 30, 000 in arrears! However, the government has created a way to protect deadbeat parents now. If they claim to be unemployed it is taking at their word. In the meantime, the custodial parent continues to struggle to provide for the child. It isn't strange if, I didn't provide for my child when he ( an adult now) was younger I would be in jail. Jeffery is working in Georgia. He has fathered another child where he decided to live with the mom to avoid childsupport issues again. My son need his arreage to finish college, buy a more dependable vehicle and get a health insurance policy.

Comments

• St
      12th of Mar, 2009

What in the world? When did the rules change?? I am in similar situation, but less money involved. Please share.

12th of Mar, 2009

Darylynn, Please remember that the best support for a child is love and affection. A loved child is very forgiving when it comes to material possessions. In the USA and increasingly in the UK everyone expects someone else to pick up the bill for their mistakes, and sleeping with 'deadbeats' as you call your ex, is a mistake women, and men sometimes have to live with. Nevertheless, good luck and I hope your next choice of man is luckier, and richer.

• Jc
      10th of Jun, 2009

Disagree with the above. Grand-dau married for several years before she and husband decided to have a child. When the child was 2 yrs. old, the father decided he didn't want to be married to her. Prior to divorce he was totally into his child. Now, he won't pay child support and absolutely nothing being done by child support recovery in Georgia, USA. She is getting the run around.

• We
      12th of Jun, 2009

I agree with you 100 percent. I am in the same boat as you are.

• Jc
      13th of Jun, 2009

Don't know what goes on in other states, but Georgia Child Support Recovery needs to be more efficient. Is it lack of social workers, lack of money? I don't know. But people like my grand-daughter and yourself are getting the run around.

• Co
      11th of Mar, 2011

Please contact the FEDERAL OFFICE OF CHILD SUPPORT ENFORCEMENT! The state of Georgia has serious problems with their tactics and their NO CARE attitudes! I am in the middle of a huge ordeal with the Georgia Child Support Enforcement office in my county; however, I have met AT LEAST 10 random women in other counties with similar circumstances! I BEG YOU TO WRITE A FORMAL DEMAND FOR REVIEW OF THEIR PROCEEDURES AND AUDIT OF THEIR INTAKES! Make a note on this page once you have done that!
    HERE ARE THE EMAIL ADDRESSES FOR GA CONSTITUENT SERVICES AND FEDERAL TIPLINE!!
    StateUnitCSE@dhr.state.ga.us tipline@acf.hhs.gov

GEORGIA CHILD SUPPORT ENFORCEMENT OFFICE HAS MADE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO COMMUNICATE WITH THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE, EVEN WHEN YOU GET SOMEONE ON THE PHONE - THEY ARE RUDE AND UNHELPFUL!
    GEORGIA CHILD SUPPORT ENFORCEMENT CONCLUDES THAT IT IS A 6+MONTH PROCESS - EVEN WHEN THEY HAVE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION!
    WHEN YOU PAY GEORGIA THE $25 FEE FOR ENFORCEMENT - THEY TAKE YOUR MONEY AND MAKE EXCUSES AS TO WHY THEY CAN NOT HELP YOU!
    GEORGIA CHILD SUPPORT ENFORCEMENT DOES NOTHING TO ASSIST IN OBTAINING FAIR AND EQUITABLE CHILD SUPPORT WHEN FATHERS LIE ABOUT THEIR INCOME!
    GEORGIA CHILD SUPPORT ENFORCEMENT ACCEPTS PAYMENT FROM THE ABSENT PARENT AND DOES NOT PROCESS IN A TIMELY MANNER!
    IT IS HEREBY DEMANDED THAT AN AUDIT OF SERVICES AND PROCEEDURES OF THE CHILD SUPPORT ENFORCEMENT DIVISION OF THE STATE OF GEORGIA OCCUR WITHOUT DELAY - FOR THE SAKE OF OUR CHILDREN!!!

• Re
      11th of Mar, 2011

I am not in GA, but I have many friends in my state who are experiencing the same thing for the last few years. You can go before the judge in family court on your own and request action be taken against the non paying parent. If it has exceeded more than a year there drivers license will be revoked and jail time may be imposed. A couple of my friends did this without the help of an attorney. Unfortunately, from what I found it appears the Child Support Enforcement office(s) of GA have been corrupt going all the way back since 1984 and no one has done anything about it. You are better off on your own and taking care of it.

• Pu
      1st of Jun, 2011

Suggest you consider using mediation to resolve your dispute. www.acrga.net or www.mediate.com for more info. The non-paying parent can offer items to offset expenses that would not be acceptable or available as a remedy in court. Once had a parent sign over the title of a boat so that the custodial parent could sell it to have money to support he child. The parents can come up with their own ideas and options in mediation.

• Kj
      22nd of May, 2012

I'm in ga and dealing with a very rude and unhelpful case working. I did all the work in finding my exs work number that he was too busy to do. I will be filing a complaint on him and the services or lack there of! And for those who think love and affection is all wr need to raise children is wealthy or living off the gov! My daughter has 9 cavities and dad refuses to pay his share of the dental bill and is behind 5 months support! He's willing to buy our baseball pants but not pay for important things.

• At
      20th of Apr, 2013

My case was with the Office of Child Support Enforcement in Canton from April/May 2008 - August/Sept 2009. Basis for this was a Temporary Divorce Order. I reminded them every month in writing via email and letter of their duty. Each letter/email entailed my full address as well as the delinquent parent's full address.lThey enforced - nothing. The arreagage that accumulated was about $10K. They neither put the other parent on a wanted list, nor did they take away the drivers license. Then came the final Divorce Order with much less child support. I decided to adjudicate arrearages by myself, document subpoenaed everybody remotely dealing with the case. When I looked into the files, I realized that the Sheriff's Entry form was continually filled out wrong - with my address. Therefore, the Sheriff's Office in Atlanta wasted money trying to serve a delinquent parent at my address instead of the correct address. The delinquent parent then appeared in court and said: I wasn't properly served. If somebody isn't properly served, he can't be heard. This is how this happened. So much for OCSE.
    But Judges have issues too. I did manage to adjudicate the arrearages from Temporary and Final Order - Judge Jeffrey S. Bagley was the presiding judge at that time.
    That lasted 5 months. Then the payments stopped entirely. Since I and the delinquent parent lived in Fulton County by now, the delinquent parent filed a Request to have Child Support reduced. In Fultn County you're not heard unless you file a specific form. So we only got a Judicial Officer (Dorsey). She didn't look at the legal fact that he hadn't paid for 6 months prior to his request - a legal requirement to get child support lowered.. Judicial Officer Dorsey also didn't read my counterclaim for contempt of Court. From 2010 - now, nobody in Fulton County Superior Court EVER felt the need to look at such things as: willful underemployment; contempt of court charges, etc. It is as if we custodial parents did not exist for these Judges as taxpayers. However, a country that wants my taxes has to do what it claims to do: be lawful and enforce the law and create order!!!
    Otherwise, nobody will want kids.

• De
      24th of Sep, 2014

I recently went to my local office to seek help with the withholding of my license, I had a job offer and the only thing holding me back was not having my license. So I asked them could they release my license so I can start working and we all know that they get there money as soon as I start with the new withholding set up. They refused me and told me I need to pay a purge before they can release my license now I have court next month for non payment they are going to lock me up anyway now its a catch 22 here in GA how can I work with no license.

• Up
      6th of Jan, 2015

my ex is over 30 grand behind, my child is special needs, child support enforcement never enforced the court order on my ex ..
    even to pay medical and he was in the army for years . she kept telling me 30 days, 60 days etc .. next thing you know months turned into years .if I knew how slack my case worker was and the lies she told were just to put me off..I would have found a way myself years ago to collect for my child . my child is now 9 .who do we complain to about deatbeat case workers ?

• Mp
      27th of May, 2015

I too am owed 23, 000 and though Missouri has served an IWO my payments are sporadic and my ex husbands company sends payments and the money is conveniently lost by the state. When I call Missouri they have no explanation and blame the company for not sending payments. I believe theft of payments are occurring. Have no one to help but Fox News.

• Fr
      9th of Aug, 2016

Most of these complaints are the custodial parents, this situation is about the NCP. A payment was taken to the Griffin CS because there was a misunderstanding with a court date /time. NCP went to court & was told by the county clerk he was not scheduled. NCP tried to contact the case worker and did not receive a return call. NCP went to the office with a payment and the case worker would NOT take the money & also called the NCP a liar as to why he was not at the hearing & he would need TWICE the amount (even though the ck was for more than he was told to pay) & there was a FTA issued on him. Refuse a payment? Not in the best interest of the child.I believe this case worker needs some serious training.