Chicago Vision / Dishonest Employee Recruitment

Chicago, IL, United States Review updated:

I just came from my "second interview" with this company, and I am exhausted, filthy, sunburned, and recovering from heat exhaustion and severe dehydration. Please allow me to explain.

It all started when I was told that I had made such a good impression during my first interview that I was invited back for a second interview the next day. The only instructions I was given were to dress "smart casual" and to wear comfortable shoes. Fortunately, I wore an exercise skort and high heels but brought emergency sneakers.

The "interview" started with a ride on the el to a red line station where two current employees and I were going to be helping low-income people sign up to get free phones. I had no reason to believe that it was going to be anything more than a brief field test for them to watch me interact with customers, so I went along willingly. Soon after our lunch break (where I paid for my own food!), I was shocked to learn that I was expected to work a full day's shift with them until 6pm. We had gotten there just before 10am and had been outside in 90-degree heat the whole time.

At around 2:30pm, my supervisor for the day was asking me questions and having me write down the answers. As I was trying to write, I realized that my hands were weak and I felt lightheaded and shaky. I had also begun dry-heaving and hyperventilating. I told him what was going on, and he bought me a Powerade and took me to sit inside a nearby McDonald's. If not for that, I probably would have ended up in the hospital.

Shortly after that, I got a good look at myself in the bathroom mirror and I realized that my nice outfit was drenched with sweat, my highlights were faded, and my face was badly sunburned. If I had known that I was signing up for all of that by agreeing to the second interview, I would have stayed home today.

WORST OF ALL: Upon arriving, I was required to sign a form acknowledging that I would not be paid for my time with the company today. Since I went in there expecting a normal job interview, I thought nothing of it. Having gone through that ordeal, I now understand that they got a full 8 hours of free labor out of me.

Worse yet, I had been led to believe that they were looking to hire me because I was a good candidate to be trained for upper management. Today I found out that what I got dragged into this afternoon is essentially the whole job, and that educated, qualified people are being lured in under false pretenses and dangerously exploited. Do yourself a favor and steer clear. Pass it on.

Jul 07, 2016

Comments

•   Jul 10, 2016

Literally, tens of thousands of hopeful job seekers fall victim these door to door, no pay or benefits, 100% commission only, "jobs" every year...thanks for warning others...

• Ke
      Apr 24, 2017

@westworld I just received an email from this company about a position they see I would be a perfect fit for. Thank you very much for the heads up.