Chevron Texaco / late fee scheme

1 Paramount, CA, United States Review updated:

Chevron Texaco credit card service have been charging $5.00 for reporting fee for business accounts, which means they send statements by mail.
I complained to them what kind of credit card company charges for the statement, they told me to receive the statements by email, and then they wouldn't charge.
Also they changed the billing cycle by 2 weeks and maximized the late fee revenue recently.
The late fee is on the current balance which includes the new charges. Think of late fee charged on the new charge. It is absurd.
On the top of that, if you pay partial payment, it is not counted as payment in calculating new balance in applying late fee for the next period.
If you have $300.00 due on 8/1, $400.00 due by 8/15, if you miss 8/1 payment, the late fee is based on 400 + 300 = $700.00.
If you make partial payment of $500.00 on 8/16, new charge due on 8/30 is $200.00, and miss the due date 8/30 again, the late fee is based on 300 + 400 + 200 = $900.00. They don't count the payment of 500.00 for ending balance in applying late fee.
By the second time, the percentage they apply to get late fee increases up to 9% since the history shows multiple late fees.
If you talk to customer services, they will keep saying it is the terms and condition, and offer 10 cents per gallon credit instead of waving late fees. Also they will say, we need to pay full amount, otherwise they will consider the customer is not capable of pay the bills.
To get more credit, you just have to buy more chevron gas.

Comments

• Na
      10th of Sep, 2009

I've been having trouble with my Chevron/Texaco business card for months! My payment always seems to be a day or 2 late. I've started mailing my payment certified mail return receipt and still I seem to be a day or 2 late even when the signature card clearly shows the payment was received when it was suppose to. When I call I am told such ignorant things that it was the mails fault or that by mailing it certified mail it goes to a lock box and someone has to sign for it which slows down the process of it being credited to my account. I am charged a $39.00 late fee plus an interest rate. I''ve asked to speak to a supervisor and was laughed at and told supervisors don't speak to customers. I had one ask me to fax her a copy of the signature card showing the date my payment was received. That was 3 days ago and I have not heard from her since. I've since filed a report with the better business bureau. How Chevron manages to stay in business with their shady business practices is beyond me. Incidentally I've been a customer for 15 years and my bill is paid every month in full.

• Dw
      28th of Sep, 2009

After 20 years with Chevron's Card, it is over. Always paid, never a problem, but lately my payments are always late getting to them. Not my fault, last bill was received on the 7th and was returned that day with payment, including late fees, interest, and a 5.00 billing fee. Very poor business practice and I am waiting for a class action law suit, so I can join. Notify ing BBB, Attorney General, and my representatives in Washington and Louisiana. I don't need Chevron or Texaco!!!

• To
      26th of Oct, 2009

I SENT MY PAYMENT OUT A WEEK BEFORE IT WAS DUE AND THEY POSTED IT LATE AND GAVE ME A $41.00 LATE FEE SO I PAID IT AND I STOPPED USING MY CARD THE NEXT MONTH I GOT ANOTHER $41.00 LATE FEE I CALLED THEM FIGURING IT WAS A MISTAKE SHE SAID NO THAT THEY RECEIVED THE $41.00 LATE SO THEY CHARGED ME ANOTHER LATE FEE OF $41.00 NOW I KNOW I WASN'T LATE SO NOW I TRYED TO PAY ON LINE AT CHEVERONTECACOBUISNESS.CO. AND IT CAME UP RELATED SEARCHES IT HAD NO LINK TO PAY MY BILL SO I TRYED PAYING MY BILL BY PHONE I GAVE AALL OF THE INFORMATION THE AUTOMATED OPPERATOR ASKED FOR WHEN I WAS DONE IT SAID THEY WERE CLOSED AND TO CALL BACK.I WILL BE CONTACTING THE WASHINGTON STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL!!!

20th of Nov, 2009

Lawyers where are you!!! This is without a doubt the best class action lawsuit out there. I too have been a Chevron customer for more than
    20 years and have never had any problems with their credit dept. always paying in full on time! But now I can't seem to pay a bill to them
    without being hit with late fee's, interest, you name it. My most recent bill has a $ 173.57 late fee even though I sent it out 1 week before
    it was due! I have spent some time talking to other business and have found they are experiencing the exact same thing. In the mean time
    I have discontinued my fleet fueling with this criminal company, but sincerely hope that some action is taken against this unscrupulous
    fleecing of the public!

• Ha
      8th of Dec, 2009

Chevron lost me as a customer today. I logged on to view my account on 11/5 and saw that my new statement was ready as of that day. I made my payment - approximately three times more than the minimum payment amount - and went on with my life. About three and a half weeks later I logged on again and saw that I had been assessed a late fee! And this was even before my payment due date!

I sent an e-mail to customer non-service and asked about the late fee, detailing amounts, dates. etc. The reply I received stated that "prepayment" of an amount in excess of my minimum payment due does not meant that I no longer have to make the minimum payment by the due date.

Second e-mail was just sent outlining my concern once again and asking just what they are up charging late fees to people who make greater than minimum payments after receiving a statement and prior to their due date. I have asked for specific information on payment processes and informed them that no matter what games they try to play I will in fact pay my card off and cancel it ASAP.

And yes, a class action lawsuit against these clowns would be outstanding.

• Ga
      14th of Jan, 2010

I see I am not the only one!

I have been receiving my monthly statements with only a couple of days to spare before payment is due. Last month I received my statement on December 16 but did not open it until the 18th. It was due on the 19th (a Saturday). I pay online but it still takes a day to process so Chevron did not credit it to my account until the following Monday (January 21).

I opened my current month's statement this morning and found they assessed me a $39 late fee, $2 interest PLUS $5 for sending me the invoice. This is an extra $46 on my month's total of $50.75 in gasoline purchases! For 18.672 gallons it ended up costing me $5.18/gallon! Talk about a fiendish and greedy plot to extort Chevron customers.

When I called customer service to complain the representative said "it's all in the fine print." Yes, it is. In about 4 point type that I would need a microscopoe to read. Needless to say I am paying this bill and destroying my credit card. And I plan to let as many people as possible know about this company's shady dealings.

16th of Nov, 2010

I ONLY WISH THAT I COULD HAVE READ ABOUT HOW THE CHEVRON/TEXACO CARD SCAMS PEOPLE WITH LATE FEES BEFORE I FELL INTO THEIR TRAP. I GUESS THAT I AM FORTUNATE THOUGH, BECAUSE THEY ONLY GOT ME FOR $13.00. THE CUSTOMER SERVICE MUST BE BESEIGED WITH COMPLAINT AND THEY ARE BELLIGERENT AND MORE THAN HAPPY TO CANCEL THE CARD AND GO THE NEXT CALL ABOUT THEIR SCAM LATE FEES.I GUESS THE "FEES"ASSURE THEM JOB SECURITY. CHEVRON/TEXACO WONT ANY MORE OF MY BUSINESS(NOT THAT THEY CARE).I ALSO HAVE USED A BP CARD FOR YEARS AND NEVER EVEN HAD TO CALL THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE.I CANT HELP BUT WONDER IF THE COMPANY EXECUTIVES KNEW HOW MUCH BUSINESS "GE CREDIT"WAS COSTING THEM IN LOST BUSINESS AT THE PUMPS, IN ORDER TO FEED THEIR LATE FEE SCAMS. I DONT THINK THEY WOULD BE PLEASED. THANKS FOR LISTENING, MARGIE ST.LAURENT

• Lf
      7th of Feb, 2011

How can a company charge a late fee on a balance that doesn't exist yet!?! I was 2 hours late paying our bill, and they charged us a late fee based on a balance of over $1500...but we have a $1000 limit. I didn't pay the late fee, and they charged me a late fee on a balance of $1300...even though we only had charges of $300 for the month.

• Na
      9th of Feb, 2011

Well, I ended up cancelling my account. It got so bad that Chevron was'nt even putting "late fee" on my invoice. They were just slipping an extra $39.00 a month on to the invoice for several months. I caught on when I actually totaled my receipts to what the invoice had. Guess what? I had a $39.00 late fee for several months. I even mail my payment in return receipt. They would receive the payment as much as 5 days before it was due yet some how it was'nt being credited to my account until 1 day late. Just long enough for them to get that extra $39.00. I figure they got over $200.00 out of me last year in bogus late fees. Customer service? They are nothing but a bunch of ignorant jokers who argue and state it's all in my contract. So I wrote Chevron a letter with my cut up cards and told them they knew what they could do with them. I would love to see a class action lawsuit against these idiots!!

• Le
      28th of Mar, 2011

Recently, I had a similar experience with Chevron. Chevron arbitrarily changed my on line bill pay payment due date. I was traveling abroad when they made the change. Because they changed the due date, my payment was 5 days late. A charge of $29.00 was added to my bill. The Indians and Philipinos we spoke to had no interest in helping us. Each time we called Chevron we would reach a "Philipino", Indian or whomever! They can barely speak English and seem insulted when I suggested they go to school and learn how to speak English that is understandable. I even told one "Indian" to tell Chevron executives to go screw themselves. She thanked me for the compliment! Out sourcing is such a pain in the you know what! Prior to this unfortunate scam, we had been customers in good standing with Chevron for 46 years. We no longer do any business whatsoever with Chevron. With Chevron's depressed annual net income ($19 billion was up 81% from its 2009 earnings of $10.5 billion.) I guess they needed my $29.00 to remain solvent! What a scam! Of course, Chevron could care less if they have me as a customer. They are only interested in ripping off their customers. When I called Chevron I was told that it was my problem not Chevron's. Chevron needs another valid class action lawsuit in order to protect consumers.

• Ho
      15th of Jul, 2011

I was charged 39.00 late fee 2.00 interest for being one day late... My balance was $101.33
    which as I mentioned was only one day late. never had been late for over 10 years with chevron. Yes I said 41% late charge on a 101.33 balance, For on month... Is this fair ?

• Ho
      15th of Jul, 2011

I should also mention I sent the payment days proir to the due date... Can I also charge my customers 41% intrest on a net 30 if they are one day late ?

• Jm
      11th of Jun, 2014

I have found the same thing on my bills. Had the account since January and didn't even realize they were assessing $83.99 in "fees" to my $180-220 gas bill every month. That amounts to about a 560% annual interest rate. SCAM!!! How are these guys in business still. I wish I had the time to fight this battle as this is truly a Crooked business. Anybody decides to go class action, let me know. I will join. Jason Mattson - Orange Realty Group - Las Vegas, NV

9th of Dec, 2015

I see this has been going on for a while. We have been a customer for years and never had encountered these "late" charges or interest until this past year. When I called Chevron, it was "explained" to me how we were making a payment late (always by one or two days). When I asked how this can be possible EVERY single month, even though I was making my payments the same day I was receiving the statement, I was told that the mail was delaying the statement from getting to me by 5-6 days. Then my payment was delayed by mail another 6 days or so, and by the time it is recorded in the computer, it is late. I can't believe that my payment to this one vendor is taking this long every single month. I do believe their billing practices to be questionable at best. J. Escajeda - Fontana, CA

• Da
      2nd of Mar, 2018

Chevron are criminals!!
    I paid my card on Friday the 9th about 2PM PST. Got confirmation code. Received my statement with a 75$ late fee and showing they posted it on Monday the 12th. Due date was the 11th. Called them up to complain and they said in order to get posting on the 9th I had to do it before 12PM PST as they do not process payments after that time nor over the weekends. So they posted one day after the due date and hit me with a HUGE late fee. The First I heard of this policy and they said it all in the billing statement print...like anyone reads the small print. I spoke to a supervisor and she offered .10C off each gallon I bought for 2 months. That was so generous...NOT!! Plus I have been with them over 20 years. No customer loyalty as Chevron!!!

Can't believe they can get away with this so I will report them to BBB and wherever else I can. With today's technology they should of posted the day I paid it!!! RIP OFF

• Da
      19th of Sep, 2018

I was charged $75 on a $73.19 charge for a late fee. I made my payment on time through Bill Pay but the payment was rejected due to my Bank sending it to the wrong address. I talked with Customer Service and got the payment made but I was upset about the Late Fee so I decided to cancel the card. I was transferred to Customer Retention and they agreed to remove the Late Fee to keep my business. Guess what? Yep, the Late Fee stayed on the account and now I have an additional Late Fee on the Late Fee! Customer Service shows no notes of them agreeing to take off the fee. I asked them why would I only pay the $73.19 and not the $75 Late Fee when I spoke with Customer Service? Common sense right? No reasonable response. I demanded to speak to a Supervisor. I am now waiting for the phone call. Let's see what happens. Total crooks!