Chef Tony's Smart Lidz NOT kleefoleysigngmail.com / CORRECTION: Shipping and Handling Rip Off

1 TX, United States Review updated:

I ordered the lids for $10 but they don't disclose what the shipping and handling fee is until you receive a bounce back confirmation to your e-mail box. For a $10 order, mine was $31.80! I immediately looked for an 800 number to call and cancel but there wasn't one. So I sent a reply e-mail to their customer service dpt and I got a bounce back e-mail that that e-mail box has been disabled. There is no way to cancel the order and from previous complaints here, they will refund the $10 but NOT the shipping and handling fee.

Comments

• Tk
      27th of Feb, 2008

What a rip off. They do not explain the $30 shipping fee until it is too late. Also the suction works for only 20 seconds then pops up. You might as well cover your bowls with nothing.

• Ro
      2nd of Mar, 2008

All tv ads have outrageously high shipping and handling. Thats why things are so cheap! Also, I JUST saw the ad, and on it, it SPECIFICALLY says "30-day guarantee, LESS shipping and handling."

Read before you weep.

I dunno about the product, and I would never order anything from an infomerical, but they look cool. Could see how they would wear out quickly though.

"Tough titty said the kitty when the milk was all gone!"

• Li
      12th of Mar, 2008

The same thing happened to us regarding the amount of the Shipping and Handling. We haven't tried to contact anyone, but I can't recommend this company or it's practices to anyone. The product isn't bad, though.

• Sm
      18th of Mar, 2008

I'm glad someone posted about these lids. I was intrigued by the flashy presentation. Because of my procrastination, I was able to read Karen's information and I thank her.

Caveat emptor is appropriate here and if it sounds too good to be true... it probably is. I would have purchased if I had not been so slow. I guess I'll be the tortoise in the race with the hare and be glad of it.

Now, how about that "Shamwow?"

• Re
      31st of Mar, 2008

When I called to complain about the shipping charges the lady insisted that the shipping cost was disclosed in the message which is a flat out lie. The message says there is a shipping charge of $7.95 and it does not say for each set. This was a buy one get one deal and it plainly states $7.95 and it never says for each set. They also charge like 4 or 5 dollars for the free lid so shipping was $23.85 for a $10 order.

31st of Mar, 2008

The 31.80 shiping and handling charge was totaly outrageous! I have ordered other products from T.V. infomercials before and had some good experiences but this was untenable. The Company should be investigated and taken to taskby the justice system. Avoid this product!

• Je
      11th of May, 2008

so glad i found your board. i almost ordered the lids but you've saved me from the remorse. Thanks!

• Mi
      12th of May, 2008

I AS WONDERING DOES ANYBODY HAVE AN ADDRESS FOR THE SMARTLIDZ COMPANY BECAUSE IAM REPORTING THEM TO THE BBB, BUT I NEED AN ADDRESS TO DO SO, THANK YOU

• Mi
      15th of May, 2008

In small letters at the bottom of Smart Lidz Website: Offer Details: Smart Lidz is the best way to keep food fresh longer. Smart Lidz create an airtight and liquid vacuum seal on any dish, bowl or pot no matter what shape it is. Today you'll get the 4 piece Smart Lidz set including 1 small lid, 1 large lid and 2 medium lids for just $19.99 + free p&h. And we'll even send you a 2nd set of lids FREE! So you get 2 sets for one low introductory price! Upon ordering you'll also have the opportunity to get Chef Tony's Jumbo Lid FREE, just pay processing and handling.

There is no mention of cost, you have to put in all your info in & credit card to order before getting financial details. I couldnt find any addresses. There isnt any contact info available without ordering. Very very suspicious. I am so gland I checked out all the comments.

15th of May, 2008

Total rip off!!! I was charged $26.90 for this $10.00 item. Are you kidding me $16.90 Shipping. The web site does not give you the shipping charges until the order is complete. There is no way to back out of the order until it is too late. I refused the shipment when it came but after 2 months I am still fighting my bank for the money back. There is NO way to contact Smart Lidz as they do not answer there phone.

• Ro
      20th of May, 2008

I bought 2 $10.00 orders and my bill was $75.65. They advertised that it would be $7.95 s&H so why was there a $45.00 shipping and handling charge. The 800-763-4177 has been busy for a week now and then it hangs up and tells you to call back or email them. They can't be reached at anytime.

• Ev
      21st of May, 2008

I almost ordered, but decided to browse the internet first.
    Thanks for the postings shared here regarding the "smart lids."
    After reading the informatives, I don't think there is anything at all "smart" about ordering the lids. Reputable sellers who are willing to clearly disclose all of their charges up front usually sell reputable products that they are willing to stand behind. True sayings, "look before you leap", and "buyer beware"; because someone is always out to separate us from our money! Good luck in your monetary recovery efforts.

• Pa
      1st of Jun, 2008

Thanks to everyone who posted comments about the $31.00 shipping and handling fees, the lack of an 800 number, the lack of a company email. I was going to buy these "covers" but am so glad I read the realistic comments here!

5th of Jun, 2008

Anyone that enters a credit card on line without knowing how much they are paying is asking for trouble.

What are you thinking? You aren't. Just because you don't use common sense doesn't mean the company is wrong.

If you don't know how to shop on line DO NOT SHOP ON LINE. It's as simple as that.

The company is getting rich because people are ###s. That isn't their fault.

• Ge
      12th of Jul, 2008

I can send a flat rate box(priority), through the USPS, for under 10 bucks. You'd think that a company that sends thousans of packages, could secure a better rate. A company should make their profits on the products they sell. Not the handling of them.
    And then to find out they only hold for twenty seconds, That just blows me away.
    Thank you for this thread. Gerry

• Ka
      5th of Nov, 2008

I just brought the lids at the Mall of American in MN. I was excited to use them. Well they seal the food when it is hot but the SEAL BREAKS IN THE REFRIGERATOR and I did use a bowl with a flat service). If I lived in MN, I would take them back and get a refund!

• On
      6th of Nov, 2008

Thanks for all the posts. I almost buy the product if i did not see these posts. you can report this company to Federal office so they can investigate them. good lucks.

• Du
      13th of Nov, 2008

I wish I would have checked out teh complaint board before ordering. I am a "sucker" and prematulrely ordered the lids online. $15.90 just for shipping and handeling is outrageous...it's the most I have ever paid for s/h online, and I do ALOT of online shopping. Guess I will be a little more carefull next time. Thanks for all the input guys.

• Je
      15th of Nov, 2008

I was going to order until the final of 3 shipping charges was added. You know what they can do with their smart lids as far as I am concerned.