Chef Basket / double shipping

NJ, United States Review updated:

Their site is very deceptive...by design.
I was very careful in my ordering and still ended up with a double order...and they give you no area to review your order before confirming it...again, I's sure by design.
It does not give me a good impression of the company - or the product - and I would not order anythig from them again.

Comments

• Ri
      Dec 11, 2010

I placed an order for the chef basket four times...yes, I really wanted them...the first two times, the order was cancelled I was told due to a problem with the order numbers..the third time I was told the same thing so I said cancel everything and then I was given a $5 discount if I tried again...Well when the order was added up on my fourth try I was given a total of twice the $ amount. I know I sound kinda crazy but that is what trying to order from this incompetent company did to me. No on speaks good English. they all sound Indian and are in a Call Center in India...sorry I am not prejudice just disgusted. I think their problem is that they cant handle the order if you want more than one set of chef baskets...no one told them how to do more than one order.

Dec 14, 2010

I made absolutely sure I was ordering one set of these baskets and wound up dropping $100 for two orders & shipping! As stated in a complaint above, their website is very confusing and you do not get the opportunity to review your order before being charged. I was extremely upset with this. I placed my order over a month ago and still have yet to receive them. When attempting to inquire about the order status all you get is a "Due to overwhelming...bla, blah, blah, message and you order will ship in 15 business days. If you're thinking of getting this product, really consider how much of a pain in the ### it will be.

• Lh
      Dec 14, 2010

Ok. I read the reviews here and decided to order anyway. I was going to be careful and not double order anything. I double checked my order before I proceeded to the next page. When I got to the next page, they were charging me for 2 sets. Big Surprise! It tells you that your order has already been processed by the time it gets to the total and so of course you can't change it. I called them while I was still looking at the screen and he told me that it was processing as we were speaking, but that it was such a new order that they couldn't bring it up for another 24 to 48 hours. I have to call back. They wanted to put the order on hold then change it when if finally comes up in their system. Nope; we are not doing that! I want the order cancelled and if that goes well, I might, MIGHT, order again, by phone, speaking to a real person. This is why you and I read reviews. I love kitchen gadgets and this one looks like it will work well. I will let you know what happens, in 24 or 48 hours! P.S... If you order, watch your bank account. My order was supposed to total $28.97 and they were charging me over $50.00.

• Je
      Dec 15, 2010

Just wait til it comes out in Walmart . . . All of these "as seen on TV" product companies have their sites set up so they get you on the shipping and handling. The products are produced very cheaply - that's why all the offers include more than one of the item and why the announcers always say "but wait, there's more . . . " Give it a month or two, then look at some discount stores in your area. They'll be there and you can just pay the base price for them.

• Re
      Dec 16, 2010

I placed an order via telephone, did not speak with a representative, it was an automatic order. I order one set, and a second set to pay shipping only of $6.99 and a knife set was to be also free with shipping charges only. My order was placed 11/19/2010. On that same date my card was charged $19.05. Today is December 16, 2010 and I have not received my product, well passed the 15 days. Therefore, I called to learn that there is a high demand for the product and it would arrived by 12/29. and then I was told that my account would not be charged until the product is shipped, and my total bill is $78.95. I asked the rep how could that be, when I have been charged 19.95, she told me that I order two sets, I told her I only ordered one set because the second one was to have only a postage charge. She cancelled that order and entered another one for $31.95. She wanted me to fax the info where the money had been taken from my card. I did as requested, then called back to verify receipt of the fax, at that time I was told the fax number that I was given was incorrect, I was given another fax number, I fax, and as I am typing this information, I am waiting on line (10 minutes now) to verify receipt.

I feel the same disgust as the other customers who have given their comments.

• Ce
      Dec 25, 2010

Don't be fooled by the positive reviews you see on Google. If you look closely, there are only two different "reviews, " each with slightly different wording. For example:
    * Enigmascape: "The Chef Basket is a handy new item for anyone who loves to cook. It is a combination strainer, colander and deep frying frying basket..."
    * Ezinemark: "The Chef Basket can be defined as a convenient new cookware for everybody who enjoys cooking. The product combines a strainer, colander and deep frying basket."
    *Maxiarti: "Nobody likes to be burned inside the kitchen. Quite a bit of individuals have felt the painful experience. Touching boiling metal when you are cooking something is absolutely not something you really want to do..."
    * Articleleader: "There’s no person who likes to be burned while in the kitchen. Many of people have felt the unpleasurable experience. Touching hot metal while you are cooking food is not a thing you ought to experience..."
    * Morefreeinfo: "There is nobody that likes to get their hands burned in the kitchen. Many of people have had the unpleasant experience. Touching boiling metal when cooking is not a thing you ought to experience..."

I have not tried the product, but with these fake reviews flying out all over the place (many in broken English) I am extremely suspicious of the product.

• Lo
      Dec 27, 2010

I ordered one of these baskets over the telephone from a T.V. ad for $19.99. I was told that if I ordered one more basket that I'd get a knife free and only have to pay an additional $6.99 for shipping. Imagine my shock when I received four baskets and two knives about two weeks later with an invoice enclosed for $49.94. I called the company and spoke with "Henry" wanting to know why I was sent so many baskets and charged so much. When he pulled up all my information on the computer I nearly fell off my chair when he said that I had actually been charged $69.22. I told him that I was sending all the baskets back (and the two knives) and that I wanted my Visa credited for $69.22 ASAP or I would be filing a complaint with the Better Businss Bureau because I believe what they did constitutes fraud. I wonder how many people would have just let them get away with this?

• Cr
      Dec 31, 2010

I am so glad that I was smart enough to check reviews before ordering this product which I really, really want. But after reading these complaints, I am going to do as one person suggested and wait until they come to Bed, Bath and Beyond on their wall of "as seen on TV" products. thank you to all of you who posted all this information.

• Jw
      Jan 01, 2011

I wish I had read before ordering. I ofered a few minutes ago and am on hold with my credit card company to cancel the charge. I was fooled by the reviews. Next time I will Google "complaints".

• Be
      Jan 01, 2011

Thank you to all the posters who took the time to let the rest of us know NOT to order this product!

• Mi
      Jan 02, 2011

Any actual "reviews" on how the product PERFORMS ?
    I wouldn't defend their (typical) over-charging practices, but just curious as to whether it "does what it says, " maybe get one when it hits the "As Seen on TV" section at Wal-Mart and dollar-stores ...

• Sd

they are selling two of them with the knife for 14.99 plus shipping

Jan 03, 2011

The ad says two baskets with a knife and implies free shipping. When you try to place a phone order it doesn't allow you to order that It tricks you into ordering two sets with shipping for one but it gives you no chance to review your order or the charges. A phone call to customer service will tell you they need 24-48 hours before the order shows up on their screen, just enough time for the unknown charge to go through to your credit card. IMO, DO NOT BUY FROM THESE SCAMMERS!!! IMO, they will overcharge you and you will not be happy!

Jan 03, 2011

Deceptive and fraudulent!!! They will trick you into trying to get the free shipping they promised on TV and you will end up paying for two sets plus shippng for one. No way to back out of your purchase on the phone. No way to verify what you paid on the phone. You have to wait 24-48 hours to see the billing and by then it is already charged to your credit card. BUY AT YOU OWN RISK! IT IS A SCAM AND THEY WILL OVER BILL YOU, IMO.

• Sm
      Jan 08, 2011

Sounds like a class action lawsuit to me... if every one who ordered got scammed, over charged and inconvenienced - perhaps a class action is in order. I get letters in the mail from time to time from various companies I do business with that explain a class action lawsuit was filed and ruled in favor of the plantiffs blah blah blah and I will get a credit or something if I was 'victim' to whatever it is these people sued about... one time it was like a $2.16 credit on my cell service... point is getting an extra $30 from everone who orders... let's say 500, 000 people order - which is very likely and reasonable for an as seen on tv product... that means they scammed $15 million dollars... even if some of you complain and get your money back - they still intentionally stole 15 million dollars - then say sorry and give it back? If I go rob a bank and get caught the next day - but give the money back - does that mean I am free and clear without getting locked up? I think not. This is a serious offense and merits action.
    Personally - I would just like to thank you all for sharing this information which has helped me to decide to steer clear of the scammers.

• Te
      Jan 12, 2011

Yep, happened to me also. I thought I was getting two baskets $14.95, a free knife and a $5.00 upgrade to staineless steel. Sounds like $19.95, right? Nope, it came to $63.38 - must be "new math". Have no idea how I ended up with 6 baskets and other items. Had they offered an order verification page prior to finalizing the order, I could have corrected it. Luckily I provided an incorrect credit card number because I had just been sent a new card with a new number so they could not charge the card. Talk about luck on my side. This happened 12/29. I still check my credit card online every day to make sure the charge doesn't show up. If it ever does hit my account, I will immediately dispute the charge. I tried calling as well but it is very difficult to get through.

• Kr
      Jan 17, 2011

I'm glad I got on this site to read all these complaints about this chef basket. Here's what I did to save myself the headache. I did a google search for the chef basket and found some other places to buy it. I bought mine from Amazon for about $20 including shipping. After all, I don't need TWO of them and I don't need another knife! Here is the link to the chef basket on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004D946JA/ref=sr_1_2_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1295233299&sr=8-2&condition=new

• Jl
      Jan 20, 2011

I had the exact same experience. No need for this non-sense when you have a good product.

• Wh
      Jan 25, 2011

I ordered on line. No place to cancel and they tripled my order.I immediately called to cancel. They had no record and I was told to call back 24-48 hours later. I called 4 days later, no record of my order but was assured by a supervisor he would handle my cancellation. Several weeks went by, a post card arrived in my mail advising me my order was backordered and if I didn't want the product, sign and return the card. I signed and then a few days later also found my bank acct had been debited for 101.00. Called again today and Eric is suppose to refund my bank acct. and I will decline the baskets and send them back. Much aggrevation, lots of phone time plus I could hardley understand the initital person I talked with. NO MORE PHONE ORDERS FROM ME. THESE PEOPLE JUST TRY THEIR HARDEST TO RIP A PERSON OFF. NO PRODUCT IS WORTH THIS MUCH TIME!!!

• Pr
      Jan 31, 2011

Thank you for all your posts. I terribly want the Chef Basket but not with the hassel and agrivation. I too will wait until it hits the stores. I hope all of you get your money back. If I were a consumer and this happened to me and I got the baskets in the mail after the cancelation I would totally keep them.. lol. I wouldn't tell them either. If they called I would play the I didn't get them try back in 24-48 hours.. Good luck every one.

• Bo
      Feb 09, 2011

I have been charged for $50.95 for something I didn't even order. I just went into the Chef Basket on-line and inquired about the products. I just called them and they said I ordered this back in December, and it was shipped on February 4, 2011. I am like the rest of you, I had to speak to someone that could barely speak English. So, after arguing with this person, he finally gave me a number to ship these baskets back. I am not going to open them, put this freakin number on the box and ship it back. I have their number, don't know if they will be in business next week. but if I don't get my money back, I am going to the Better Business Bureau. This is pure crap.

• Bi
      Mar 09, 2011

Do not order this product. They are completely incompetent. Great product and absolutely terrible service. Period.

• Nc
      Mar 21, 2011

You can buy this in the store. This is NOT a new product. These have been around for many years because I have my mothers and the basket is over 30 years old!

• Nc
      Mar 21, 2011

This product is nothing new. I have one from my mother and it is at least 30 years old.
    you can find these in the store so why order it?

• Er
      Apr 15, 2011

I ordered one basket with the free basket and i was charged for 2x orders. When I spoke to them they told me that i had stated i wanted 2 orders. When I told them that I only selected by pressing the buttons they became very uncooperative and told me that they would put me on hold all day. When I told them that the order could be cancelled and they were lying then they became hostile. I have reported them to the Federal Trade Commission and I have also reported them to my State's Attorney General Office to file charges of fraud against the company. I encourage everyone to do the same so we can hold the company accountable for the fraudulant charges.

• Ga
      Apr 22, 2011

I also received a double order on the Chef Basket. When I called to complain I was offered a $10 credit. This tells me they know what they are doing with these double shipments. I argued that I was not interested in having two sets and I wanted a refund for half of the amount. They gave me a return number and told me I would get a refund when they had processed the return. I verified that I would get back half of what I was charged. After thinking about it some more I thought why should I have to pay the postage and doubting that I would get the refund I was told I would. I called back and asked to speak to a supervisor. The person there tried giving me the same options again. I explained that I did not want to make her life difficult and I knew she had to stick to company policy and asked again for a supervisor. I was put on hold and, after a while, realized that this is how they handle these situations. My next call will be to the credit card company to see what my options are.

• J2
      May 18, 2011

I will never order from ChefBasket again. The site by design is setup to process erroneous orders! To start with, the first screen on the website asks you to enter your credit card information unlike other online vendors which allow you to verify your order BEFORE you enter your information to pay. By the time you go through each prompt answering yes or no to other offers, you have been charged with no warning. The advertised price was 14.99 plus shipping and handling. ChefBasket charged me for an additional basket (although I declined the offer) and charged me 50.95. I called immediately but didn't get an answer (it was Sunday). Oddly enough, "customer relations' called me right back on Sun. After I explained my problem, he asked me to call Mon when they opened. I called Mon and asked to cancel the order. I was told that my order would be placed "on hold" and that I would not be charged but to call back in 24 - 48 hrs. I called back on Tues after seeing my bank acct had been debited and was told that the order had shipped and he would offer me a $10 credit. I emphatically told the representative that I did NOT wish to do business with this company AT ALL. I was getting nowhere with the representative so I called my bank and filed a dispute instead. This will take 10 - 15 days and I will have to change my debit card number to safeguard against any further charges. All this aggravation to find out today that the basket is sold at my local flea market. Steer clear of Chefbasket!!!

• Ro
      Jun 14, 2011

I got the same crap with the double order. Besides, they 're cheaply made and don't work very well. You need a pot with the EXACT size as the basket, or the basket collapses into the water and so do your vegetables. I will never fall prey to this crap again. Lesson learned.

• La
      Jul 10, 2011

Wow! I'm glad I read these. I'm purchasing mine from eBay instead of te company! eBay protects there buyers against fraud and I saw the same offer from TV for $17.99 + $5.99 shipping. Feel free to visit me while checking out eBay. LaHondaMW! Good luck with this fraudulent company!!

Jul 18, 2011

If you want a Chef Basket its available at Walgreen's and even cheaper on www.buycheapr.com/Chef+basket - so don't bother ordering from chefbasket.com. Also at, Bed Bath and Beyond and, Amazon.

All of you should go to Web of trust and download it. It will tell you what sites are good (green) and which are bad (Red) and everything in between as well as unrated (gray). It is really helpful when doing a search. You can then leave feedback about your experience with a site ti help with their rating and save someone else from what you had to go through. I've had it on mt computer for a couple of years now and would not want to be without it.

• Dl
      Jul 18, 2011

Yeah - got me by the shorts...I'm calling a lawyer, these folks are based in NJ with their phone support in India, product made in China. Jersey I can deal with...