Check Processing Bureau / CPB Letter claiming bounced check

1 WI, United States Review updated:
Phone: 414-971-0249

I received a letter in the mail last night from CPB indicating that the letter received was a legal service to collect an unpaid debt of $148. 00 to a pizza place in 2001. I did call the (888) number and spoke to a man who explained that I owe money for a bounced check. I of course had many questions for him which he could not answer; How much was the check writen for? What is the bank name on the check? Why have I never been notified prior to this IF I bounced a check? He told me I would have to go to my bank and ask for a copy of the check. I explained I am not a member of that bank no being over 7 years ago. Nor, should I have to do his leg work. I asked what logic is used to come up with $148? His answer was late fees. He then told me he would take my debit number for $50.00 and clear the issue. I told him, "Tell you what, you send me a copy of this supposed check..." and he hung up on me.

I have in the past 15 minutes, performed research on CPB. Not good, may I add. I will NOT be paying this claimed amouont due.

Comments

• Ke
      3rd of Nov, 2008

Recieved letter with false information. THeatening a felony and asking for monies that are not owed.

18th of Nov, 2008

I also have received the same letter for a higher amount and after asking for clarification for the check number and a copy of the check i was told that this issue was closed and it had reached the statue of limitations on the check and no further communication would be forthcoming from this compay. I believe that they are rip off artist and need to be looked into by the law

• Kt
      11th of Jan, 2009
    Check Processing Bureau - collections for a supposed bad check
    Check processing Bureau

These people are frauds!!! and that is being nice. I have received several letters from them stating that I bounced a check at a Honda Dealership in a city that i have not even lived in for 5 years. Supposedly this check was for $400. Ummm, let's see...the only business I ever did with this dealership was the purchase of a car (and I frankly don't remember what I gave them for a down payment, but the check sure as hell did'nt bounce) and a few minor service things (oil changes and stuff)
    So I get these letters, i call the dealership just out of curiosity and surprise, they have absolutely no record of any collections actions against me for anything. I don't even have that particular car anymore, it's been so long. They did request that I fax them a copy of the letter because they were rather curious as to who was attempting to collect debts using their name.
    Sure they throw around all kinds of frightening language and empty threats like "legal action, prosecution and my favorite "writing bad checks is a crime in ______. (fill in the state here. Ummm...so where is it NOT a crime to write bad checks?
    Anyhow, do not pay these clowns any attention or any money for that matter. Do not even call them because they will only verbally threaten and abuse you in the hopes of getting you to part with your cash. The claim they are in New York, but a little research will tell you that they are NOT a registered debt collection agent in the state of New York.
    Your best bet is to just ignore these freaks. I actually get kind of a chuckle when I get a letter from them. Criminal prosecution huh?...yeah, ahh go right ahead.