Cheaper Than Dirt / Beware customer

Cheaper Than Dirt
Beware of buying this or any other products from this company, as they are prone to use false advertising. Moments after ordering some of the Lake City 5.56mm ammo, I read other postings on their very own website that said 5.56 should not be used in weapons chambered for .223. I immediately contacted their customer service since my rifle is chambered for .223, and asked if I could replace that portion of my order with some ammo in .223. At this time, the ammo had not yet been shipped and I had also ordered $300 worth of handgun ammo. The woman I spoke to insisted that the ammo was .223 even though the boxes are plainly marked 5.56mm, and she pretended to ask a "technical person", who said the same thing. So I foolishly believed her and that was the ammo they shipped me. Subsequently, I found numerous other references to the fact that one must not shoot 5.56mm in a .223, including an email from the manufacturer of my rifle, referencing that specific brand and caliber 5.56mm. I emailed Cheaper Than Dirt twice requesting an exchange, and they never even replied to me. Look at all the places where there is 5.56mm on their website advertised as .223 despite all the warnings, and you get a pretty good idea of what sort of business people they are.

N  4th of Feb, 2009 by
THAT is ludicrious of them to say that, as 5.56 mm and .223 caliber is the very SAME diameter and a NATO standard. Also, Lake City Ammo is of the highest quality ammo on the market!

Field tested daily in Iraq and Afghanistan... Over 100, 000 dead insurgents can't be wrong!
N  4th of Feb, 2009 by
Maybe you should read the part that says, "all ammo sales are final, no refunds" in the future.
A  2nd of Apr, 2009 by
Very dangerous, 5.56 is much higher pressure and slightly diff. dimentions than .223 almost the same but not. They didn't care about your safety or your gun possibly being damaged, as for all sale are final they lied to you and should accept the return because of the fact they knowly put you in danger. SAAMI the people that decide the pressure limits for guns say that it is not to be fired in a .223 chamber.The 5.56 is higher pressure and has the rifling start further down the barrel than the .223 which can push the pressure up even higher resulting in a accident although unlikely but possible, I would not want to be the one firing the gun if it did blow up it would not be pretty.
N  21st of Feb, 2011 by
I am not taking responsibility away from CTD for giving erroneous information, but when buying anything dangerous, you should do a lot of research first. I have been researching for months in- lieu-of buying a gun and ammo online. When I stumbled on this thread in my research I knew that 5.56 is not recommended in a .223 weapon, but you can shoot .223 in a 5.56 weapon. Just like 38 special in a 357 mag. handgun. Sorry you had to learn the hard way, and I have learned from this, that you should never trust a salesperson. They may give you false information just to make a sale, or out of plain ignorance of the subject. Sales people are not often properly trained to know what they are selling, especially if they have many items to cover. I could only hope they are telling the truth about putting .223 ammo in a 5.56 box, but I would not want to take the chance.